Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 15-03-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default side indicator not working

Not sure if this should be here or in tech but anyway.....
Installed clear indicators and repeaters on my EB today (makes the car look 10x better) but after fitting them, i realised that the drivers side repeater isnt working. Thought i may have blown the globe but i replaced it and still doesnt work.
Any ideas?

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
EBTom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone? I know its pretty insignificant but i havent the foggiest where to start looking. All the other lights work fine.

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
Old 15-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

I take it the repeaters are running off your front indicators, are these working properly ? If so re-check wiring.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure about wiring, hoping someone here could help with that.
All other lights including front and rear indicators, are working fine.
I think at first i accidently put the globe in sideways. When i did that the light flashed on and then it fried the globe. Tried a new globe but still not working.

Former Rides:
Old 15-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

What kind of side repeaters? AU ones? If possible test the repeater loom with a test light or multimeter.

I'm assuming you didn't modify the loom at all (ie soldering in a new globe holder)

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah AU3 repeaters. I didnt modify the loom but i did have to cut some of the rubber off the globe socket (as per the instructions in technical docs) for it to fit into the lense.
On the repeater that doesnt work, i had a look and where ive cut some of the rubber off, its exposed some of the side of the terminal inside. When the globe socket sits in the lense, that exposed metal touches the metal on the edge of the lense.
Im probably way off but could that be shorting it out?

I'll try getting hold of a multimeter or just get a new globe socket from a wreck.

Former Rides:
Old 15-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #7
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I'm not familiar with the exact "circuitry" (if you could call it that) of those pinch-style parker globes, but I would go as far as saying that yes, you've munted your socket. If tests indicate this you're best off getting another socket, soldering it onto the existing loom and carefully trim it to fit in the AUIII repeater ;)

-Dave-
Old 15-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
LUXO_8
windsor user

the lenses have no metal in them..... chrome plated plastic..
it wouldnt be shorting out on that
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah they dont work out of the lense either. Are there any fuses, relays or anything like that i should check? I guess the only other thing could be that i burnt out the socket.

Former Rides:
Old 15-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #10
LUXO_8
windsor user

does the new park lamp globe actually work......have you tested it?...you can get bodgy ones.

try the globe from the one that is known to work, see if that works in your "dead" socket.

then, using a test light, try the wires a little way back from the plug to see if there is power going through, that would then eliminate or show the socket as the cause of the malfunction
Old 15-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #11
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Neither of the 2 new globes i bought worked in there, but I'll try switching the one i know does work into the "dead" socket.
I dont have a test light but failing the test above, I'll just replace the socket.
Thanks for the help, I honestly wouldnt know where to start.

Former Rides:
Old 15-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #12
LUXO_8
windsor user

a test light can be as simple as a known working globe, with 2 wires coming off to attach to the circuit you're trying to test..... no fancy gizmos required!
Old 16-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #13
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All fixed. Tried the known working globe in the dead socket and it didnt work, so i put it back in its orginal socket where it does work. Then put one of the other globes back in the dead socket just for shits and hey presto it started working.
Weird.....

Former Rides:
Old 16-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #14
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

lol, your electrical "fixes" sound like mine! Good to hear it's working again.