Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-03-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question The Power of Advertising. Captiva V ESCAPE..

I have seen more CAPTIVA'S on the road than ESCAPE'S.
WHY ?
Advertising. Holden has the CAPTIVA add on TV several times a night.
FORD ??? where is the ESCAPE add ????? I have seen the RANGER add.
Advertising and the lack of advertisng is hurting FORD sales.
HOLDEN must be advertising 10 Holden adds to 1 FORD add.
Come on marketting department, get your act together.
And Tom, if they don't ,get a company in that can advertise cars.

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
Force6

Isn't the Captiva more of a rival for the Territory then the Escape?
Force6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Hmm I think that Ford dont see the value of saturation TV marketing. They have to run a business and there are priorities with what they spend their very limited cash on. TV wouldn't be one, investing in the future so that we can all drive a traditional home grown RWD 4 door family sedan is.
Old 26-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I have seen more CAPTIVA'S on the road than ESCAPE'S.
WHY ?
Advertising. Holden has the CAPTIVA add on TV several times a night.
FORD ??? where is the ESCAPE add ????? I have seen the RANGER add.
Advertising and the lack of advertisng is hurting FORD sales.
HOLDEN must be advertising 10 Holden adds to 1 FORD add.
Come on marketting department, get your act together.
And Tom, if they don't ,get a company in that can advertise cars.

How many Mazda Tributes have you seen on the road?
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Holden have always splashed out more cash than Ford on advertising. Besides which, Captiva is a competitor for Territory (alot of people have been hanging for Holdens version of the car), and when the Tezza was first released Ford ran it's ad campaign pretty hard.

Fords marketing dept can get theyre 'act together' (showing more ads) without spending more money which it doesnt have.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
BadMac
I still have both eyes

NO Its not. Captiva is a Cx7, Rav4, etc competitor. Terri is left to compete (very well) with ML, X5, XC90, etc.

It speaks volumes that Terri also competes in the smaller segment (ie the Terri has seven good seats, Captiva, Tribeca, CX7 etc have 5+ 2 seats).

Holden may market the Captiva as a Terri alternative, but they are different animals.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

I thought the Territoy was rival with the Adventura?
Old 26-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU3 HERROD XR8
I thought the Territoy was rival with the Adventura?
Adventra is gone. The Daewoo Captiva is the replacement.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #9
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DAEWOO CAPTIVA??????? Don't you mean the Holden Captiva, they are made in Australia alongside the Commodore, just like the Territory is made on the same line as the Falcon, yeah? Woops, looks like Holden doesn't mean a great deal to Australia
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #10
Nappa
Impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMac
NO Its not. Captiva is a Cx7, Rav4, etc competitor. Terri is left to compete (very well) with ML, X5, XC90, etc.

It speaks volumes that Terri also competes in the smaller segment (ie the Terri has seven good seats, Captiva, Tribeca, CX7 etc have 5+ 2 seats).

Holden may market the Captiva as a Terri alternative, but they are different animals.
the captiva is a direct competitor to the territory, it may not be the same size or price, but its in one of the many markets that the territory is able to fit into.
I've had plenty of customers looking at territory as well captiva and rav and now cx7
Old 26-03-2007, 06:52 PM   #11
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I havnt seen a Captiva on the road yet, nor a new Escape for that matter.
Was next to a CX7 at the light today though. Damn it looks good.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #12
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The captiva looks cheap inside and out. I had a look inside one last week when walking past a holden dealer and you can tell its designed by daewoo

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #13
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Captiva is too narrow to be a Territory competitor. Doesn't have 3 full seats in the 2nd row which means not enough kids seats or only room for 2 adults. Its more in the RAV4 class though admittedly the divisions are blurring, deliberately so on the part of the manufacturers. Many gullible buyers will take one of these home (because the brochure says "7 seats") and then find out they can't fit the family in. More for childless (or one child) yuppie couples. Territory is a true family car.
Old 26-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #14
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by I FluXx I
The captiva looks cheap inside and out. I had a look inside one last week when walking past a holden dealer and you can tell its designed by daewoo
Shows you don't know what you are talking about as it was designed by Australians. Its just built by Daewoo. GM bought Daewoo to be a cheap production facility.

And by the way most reviews find the interior and exterior looks to be very good (in contrast to your opinion). The shape (Captiva, Cx7, Crv, etc) has dated the Terri. Personally i'd still buy the terri, but thats because of the 6speed and the torque of the 4.0l, not because of its looks which were great 3 years ago.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 10:22 PM   #15
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
the captiva is a direct competitor to the territory, it may not be the same size or price, but its in one of the many markets that the territory is able to fit into.
I've had plenty of customers looking at territory as well captiva and rav and now cx7
I agree, the captiva sits closer to the territory than to the escape.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 06:42 AM   #16
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Captiva and Escape are more similar. Both FWD with AWD activated by traction control (Escape has manual override.), closer in physical dimensons, engine spec, etc.

Marketing wise however, the Captiva gets more airtime being touted as a Terri competitor due to the Terris success and that's why it's sold that way.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 06:47 AM   #17
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
Shows you don't know what you are talking about as it was designed by Australians.
It had design input from Australia, but you can't turn that into "it was designed by Australians". US had design input also, as would have other GM groups who are rebadging the car for sale in their markets.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 07:25 AM   #18
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
The Territory is also a 5+2 seater. The rear seats (3rd row) are only for kids or small adults in the Territory. If you want a true 7 seater you need to move up a size in the 4WD class or buy a people mover.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 07:38 AM   #19
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

To be quite honest I'm glad they don't advertise the Escape on TV. Compared to the rest of the Ford range it kind of lets its side down. All going well I hope it gets booted in favour of the S-Max.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #20
Conrad
Banned

I agree, the CX7 is pretty nice. Some P plater owns one on the dero, department of housing street adjacent to mine.

Has some damn big wheels on it too, they look like twen'y fo's! He paid for them by dealin' rocks on da block co'nah
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #21
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
The Territory is also a 5+2 seater. The rear seats (3rd row) are only for kids or small adults in the Territory. If you want a true 7 seater you need to move up a size in the 4WD class or buy a people mover.
mowog this disguises the issue of width. The Territory has the only true three seater 2nd row. The others are 2 1/2 seats at best - an issue that extends even to larger vehicles like the pajero. It means you can't comfortably fit 3 adults in the 2nd row or put a baby capsule and two child seats in the second row. Details that get overlooked in advertising and reviews alike.
Old 28-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #22
Conrad
Banned

Saw a Captiva today.

Definetly not Territory competition. It is definetly no bigger than a Rav4 if not smaller.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 08:19 PM   #23
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another thread with egos larger than a Captiva
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #24
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

New escape is just as dated style wise as the new ranger. Looks to be a model or two behind the competition. Credit to territory that it still hold's a reasonably modern look inside and out but the third row leg room definatly put's it in the same class as captiva ( 7 seats if you have to for a short trip) and no where near a people mover. As for where cars are made these day's it's more important about who designed and engineered all the component's rather than where they are built. And yes my new captiva is performing well above my expectation's which is far more than may last two new fords ever did. Fingers crossed thing's stay that way over time.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #25
aualright

Quote:
Shows you don't know what you are talking about as it was designed by Australians. Its just built by Daewoo. GM bought Daewoo to be a cheap production facility.

And by the way most reviews find the interior and exterior looks to be very good (in contrast to your opinion). The shape (Captiva, Cx7, Crv, etc) has dated the Terri. Personally i'd still buy the terri, but thats because of the 6speed and the torque of the 4.0l, not because of its looks which were great 3 years ago.
Looks are subjective but as for practicality, the trend to have a sloping rear doesn't allow for efficient use of the boot / cargo space. I bought a Territory a month ago and still think the shape and look is superior to the Murano, etc but like I said, looks are subjective.
aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post