Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-04-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fiat Abarth Coming Down Under...

Fiat is resurrecting an icon and taking its new rally-winner to the streets

Not content on hitting the world rally scene, Fiat has announced it will debut a hot Abarth version of its Punto hatch. Announced earlier this month, Fiat will use the hot hatch to relaunch the legendary performance and sporting car brand which will eventually boast a range of sporting models.

The first car to wear the famous reborn badge will be officially known as the Punto Abarth.

"This is an enormously exciting development for Fiat," Fiat Oz boss David Stone told the Carsales Network. "It will provide Fiat with a unique performance brand to sit alongside the existing range, with a sharper, even more exciting edge.

"Abarth comes with a real heritage and reputation," Stone said. "Here in Australia, Abarth’s products are fondly remembered by enthusiasts and much sought-after by performance car collectors. We are looking keenly at how the new Abarth range -- both the Abarth models and the performance and styling kits -- can become part of our [local] range."

Founded in 1947 by Carlo Abarth, the Abarth company produced classic sporting versions of key Fiat models. The marque was successful both in racing and rallying.

"The famous scorpion badge was chosen as a clear indication of what Abarth was all about -- small cars with a big sting in the tail!" Fiat Australia says.

Fiat’s Managing Director Luca de Meo has gone on record saying the new Abarth division will do more than stick badges on current product. The go-fast arm will run its own racing and rally teams. Indeed, it has already kicked off with an S2000 version of the Punto, which recently debuted in, and won, the Safari Rally in Kenya.

The S2000 car will also contest European and Italian Championship rallies ahead of a full WRC tilt in 2008 or 2009.

The Punto Abarth (pictured) is expected to arrive Down Under later this year powered by a 1.4-litre turbocharged petrol engine that delivers around 110kW. A "booster kit" will be offered that should see power up to around 135kW -- close to twice the peak power of the entry level Punto.

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

like the wheels...thats about

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

To me it looks like a cross breed of a Fiesta, Golf, Opel Barina and Peugeot 206. It just looks funny to me.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2007, 09:56 PM   #4
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
To me it looks like a cross breed of a Fiesta, Golf, Opel Barina and Peugeot 206. It just looks funny to me.
hahaha, yer i was thinking if that as well but without the fiesta.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 01:41 AM   #5
Jayden
Graphic Artist

as far as fast micro cars go, thats about on par. if not better in terms of looks than the others.

Still.... its tiny.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:43 AM   #6
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose10
hahaha, yer i was thinking if that as well but without the fiesta.
The rear quarter window is a similar shape to the fiesta. hehe. I reckon anyway.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Its a neat looking little car, much like the Fiesta it has clean conservative styling, rather than out there looks of the jap cars.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Love the old style Arbaths.

Great to see the name and badge coming back again.
Like the GT I hope that it lives up to it’s history and is a fun car to drive.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 01:16 PM   #9
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Problem with it is price. The Punto sporting is already 30g on road so even the 110kw version will be atleast 32-33g well above the price of the XR4 and Polo GTi. Sure its nicer inside but thats not enough IMO
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #10
Nappa
Impressive...

i love the look of the punto, and this one looks great, i love a white sportscar