Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-03-2007, 07:58 AM   #31
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
It's quite sad how racial prejudice (subtle or not) is brought into this type of discussion/incident. I guess we should lock the borders and take licences from people who aren't 5th generation Australians or fair-skinned???

I just hope the people injured can pull through as best they can.
now that would be a start. if the shoe fits
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 07:58 AM   #32
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just jokin
you wowser
Old 28-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #33
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as for people saying poor driver, she went along footpath through the crowd and still never stopped till twenty yards past the bus stop, id like to know why driving test cars are not fitted with dual controls anymore?
/////they have stated several times that it was a 60 year old driving instructor in car.////////

Last edited by OLDFORDNUT; 28-03-2007 at 08:21 AM.
Old 28-03-2007, 08:18 AM   #34
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Terrible events. Sad to hear 1 person has died. Lets hope the rest pull through.

I think there will be a review of laws here involving who can and can't teach a learner to drive. At the end of the day, this is why we have driving instructors and their cars. As mentioned she never broke until after she went through the crowd. If it was a car with dual pedals, the instructor could have bought the car under control from the passenger seat, and they may never have happened. Who knows. An instructor is more likely to react in time.

Waiting for a bus. Who would think this could happen.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 08:32 AM   #35
james22
With da Warlords

Damn, I knew the girl that was killed. She was a friend of my ex-girlfriends sister. ******* 3 friends dead in 6months :

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #36
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Part of the problem is that some of these drivers haven't grown up around cars. They have grown up in villages where everyone walks around with bowls on their heads. They have no concept of driving or road rules and life is cheap.

Last edited by GXL078; 28-03-2007 at 09:32 AM.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 09:53 AM   #37
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
I thought the same at first but I reckon it was oil from where it holed the sump when it went over the kerb.
I think it is blood ... the woman who died was dragged under the car for some distance.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 10:52 AM   #38
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its funny someone mentioned that maybe she hit the accelerator instead of the brake, while in the past I would have wondered how anyone could do this, a few weeks ago I saw a 50 year old lady park her car but must have jumped on the go pedal instead of the brake because she revved it so hard that she launched straight over a 1 meter wide median in front of her car and didn't stop until she smashed into another parked car on the other side! Just scary, so scary that we share the road with these people..... By the way I'm not trying to generalise in regards to gender or age, just stating the facts.

Anyway don't know what actually happened in this case yet but thought I'd share my story!
stockel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #39
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Saw on OLD guy at a servo do this .... he had no idea why his car took off because he had his foot on the brake .... after going through a concrete wall and through a brickwall into someone lounge room ... he managed to get out .... I help the poor old guy out ... and his foot was still firmly planted on the accelerator.
Old 28-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #40
xbcool
dazed&confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockNAfairlane
One thing i've always wondered is why are you allowed to go get your l's (no prac driving test needed) and then drive straight away on a busy public road?

Wouldn't it be smarter to have the L platers first drive on a private road at the testing centre? Just to teach them the basics of acceleration, using your mirrors, steering etc.

the powers that be say a riders course is needed before you can sit for your L plates for a motorcycle.
maybe its time to do the same for cars etc

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #41
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree with this ... even just one of those basic driver knowledge courses offered by some of the advanced driving course companies ... yeah it costs ... but I think it is needed prior to letting an L-plater behind the wheel.

I know it was daunting initially learning in a car in traffic in Liverpool when I first started.
Old 28-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #42
xbcool
dazed&confused

yeah the bike course was run by a mob called stayupright (I think), and it is funded by the customers as far as I know, so the government shouldnt have to stick thier hand in thier deep pockets.
maybe a car manufacturer like toyota could donate cars for such a course.

maybe I should also pull my head in.

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 07:52 PM   #43
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I wonder how Workcover would see putting a driver behind the wheel for the first time on a public road. Having a few more places like Deca in Shepparton might cost a bit, but not that much. The best possibility for improvement in the road toll is the one that hasn't been tackled properly yet - training
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #44
athol

The driving instructor was a 60 year old neighbour, he said she could not afford to have professional lessons and he was helping out, and also said the lights turned amber and she hit gas and not the brake, nowhere does the news report say if it was her first time behind the wheel, but the log book will show what hours she has if any.

Athol.
athol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 11:48 PM   #45
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
I wonder how Workcover would see putting a driver behind the wheel for the first time on a public road. Having a few more places like Deca in Shepparton might cost a bit, but not that much. The best possibility for improvement in the road toll is the one that hasn't been tackled properly yet - training
It would be good if we could use it though, but i like the idea of how they teach truckies there, they take them out on the track, and on the wet skidpan and do a weeks training before theyre allowed to stall at our roundabouts...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 03:50 AM   #46
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Saw on OLD guy at a servo do this .... he had no idea why his car took off because he had his foot on the brake .... after going through a concrete wall and through a brickwall into someone lounge room ... he managed to get out .... I help the poor old guy out ... and his foot was still firmly planted on the accelerator.
Similar thing happened here Mechan1k , only the opposite way around .
Lady "thought" she had the car in "D" for drag , hit the "Go Pedal" only to find she mounted the footpath and "Took out the Front Doors" of a popular PUB , : Sacralidge ... :yeees:
Fortunalely no-one was hurt . (Rear to Curb parking here)

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 09:53 AM   #47
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6t
no signage on the car and it appeared to be a loooong way past the bus stop. someone found the wrong pedal methinks. That's usually a trick favoured by much older drivers.

Anyone wanna dig up the left foot/right foot braking thread?!!!

Terrible tragedy of an accident.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #48
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
Damn, I knew the girl that was killed. She was a friend of my ex-girlfriends sister. ******* 3 friends dead in 6months :
s$#t man, condolenses to your ex's family.
that intersection is a really bad blind corner. if your coming from the rockdale side you can't see cars coming from the other side until they're there. ive seen a lot of near misses by people turning right ( where the car crashed) or turning to late and nearly taking out the bus stop (dejavu).
the rta need to add a turning arrow for all sides of the intersection, but that wont happen, there's an intersection a couple of blocks up the road were they've been installing traffic lights for the last 9 months and still counting.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #49
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by athol
The driving instructor was a 60 year old neighbour, he said she could not afford to have professional lessons and he was helping out, and also said the lights turned amber and she hit gas and not the brake, nowhere does the news report say if it was her first time behind the wheel, but the log book will show what hours she has if any.

Athol.
That's what most people do isn't it? Hit the gas when the light turns amber. The FWs around here do it on the red as well. I only used the Yankee term 'gas' because I can't speel acsellerater
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #50
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol... accellerator
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post