Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Bills Column in Motor

Has anyone read the latest Motor magazine, in particular "Bills Column" (I gather it is Bill Tuckey)
His comments on the VE commodore not being a worthy Car of the Year, now he is the man that set up the Car of the Year in the first place, so he should have some credibility on the subject.
His comments were along the lines of
Sure its quick, but its a car you dont drive, its a car that you almost have to fight.
He believes his 2 y.o VY is a much better car.
Interesting comments, well i thought so anyway

Old 04-04-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Trust Bill.

I can remember about 15-20 years ago he really pis... annoyed the Vic Police by saying that Radar was only a revenue raiser and that the "Mounting" road toll has in fact gone through the basement, NOT the roof, if VicRoads figures took into account that there are more drivers and cars on the road each year
Old 04-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS50
Has anyone read the latest Motor magazine, in particular "Bills Column" (I gather it is Bill Tuckey)
His comments on the VE commodore not being a worthy Car of the Year, now he is the man that set up the Car of the Year in the first place, so he should have some credibility on the subject.
His comments were along the lines of
Sure its quick, but its a car you dont drive, its a car that you almost have to fight.
He believes his 2 y.o VY is a much better car.
Interesting comments, well i thought so anyway
Was that all there was to the article (havent read it). Did he explain the comments I've highlighted? I thought VE was meant to be a VERY good car overall?
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
MR_LON
ORSMT5

have a mate that works for nrma, today he was doing training on the ve dunnydore & the overwhelming response from everyone there was that it is a sh1tbox.
the only reason it won coty was 'cos holden paid for it 2 win, if anyone seriously thinks its better than the bmw etc they need their head read
MR_LON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My neighbour has a VE Omega work family car which replaced a BA Futura wagon. Couple of mates have Berlina and SS, they are a great Aussie car in all their opinions. Having driven them I agree.
The word Aussie is underrated in that most people just see "Made here" when that is only a fraction. "Made for here" is far more important.
A VE Omega, and any Falcon from AU on, will eat up any road or corner in Australia with a ease and disdain that it takes something like a BMW 7 series, Jag S type, Lexus LS or Merc E class to come close to. Very few cars can match ride handling performance & accomodation package of the big Aussie 6s & 8s, in Aussie conditions on Aussie roads.
Maybe the VE should not have been Wheels Car of the Year but it is probably the best option available to an Aussie this past year. Most Aussies can't see that though as want and need can differ.
Having seen an Orion, VE will not be Car of 2008
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2007, 03:08 AM   #6
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseterritory
My neighbour has a VE Omega work family car which replaced a BA Futura wagon. Couple of mates have Berlina and SS, they are a great Aussie car in all their opinions. Having driven them I agree.
The word Aussie is underrated in that most people just see "Made here" when that is only a fraction. "Made for here" is far more important.
A VE Omega, and any Falcon from AU on, will eat up any road or corner in Australia with a ease and disdain that it takes something like a BMW 7 series, Jag S type, Lexus LS or Merc E class to come close to. Very few cars can match ride handling performance & accomodation package of the big Aussie 6s & 8s, in Aussie conditions on Aussie roads.
Maybe the VE should not have been Wheels Car of the Year but it is probably the best option available to an Aussie this past year. Most Aussies can't see that though as want and need can differ.
Great post completely agree, the suspension, handling and brakes on overseas products for some reason do not work as well as local sedans but it doesn't mean they are better cars. The award is COTY and frankly the Commodore doesn't cut it as being a better car than some of the other contenters. Maybe it feels better in the outback on rough roads, and feels smoother over cracks and bumps but it doesn't justify it as a better vehicle.

COTY consists of many criteria that make up a worthy winner, the commodore should score well overall but the winner? that just made me laugh.
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseterritory

It can't be anyway, the VE2 won't be eligible as its not an all new or significantly revised so won't be up for consideration. Orion also won't make Wheels Car of the Year until 2009 anyway, as it tests the best cars from the whole year, and Orion won't be coming out this year for consideration for the 2008 award which is Feb 2008. It will be a front runner for 2009.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #8
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
It can't be anyway, the VE2 won't be eligible as its not an all new or significantly revised so won't be up for consideration. Orion also won't make Wheels Car of the Year until 2009 anyway, as it tests the best cars from the whole year, and Orion won't be coming out this year for consideration for the 2008 award which is Feb 2008. It will be a front runner for 2009.
So does that mean that the Award is out of date because a 2008 winner would have to have been a 2007 car? I reckon on most people thinking a 2008 Car of the Year would be the best car available in 2008. Maybe they should hold the award in December.

So what will be the next winner? new X5, Volvo C30, Mondeo?
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 07:47 PM   #9
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Mondeo easily.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post