Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Default Best car for 20k

As the title suggests I am looking to buy a recent to new car for around the magic 20k mark. For the past couple of weeks i've read countless reviews, visited a number of dealerships and drove a couple of demos and i'm stumped.

So far the cars i've looked up include too many to list but i've narrowed it down to the Mazda 6 (2003-2004), Volkwagon Polo (new), Ford Focus Zetec (used) and Ford BA XR6. I've tossed up spending a little extra for a Golf or a Accord but i've decided against it so no suggestions over 25k please. As a student i'm a little worried about fuel consumption, but at the moment i'm driving a EF so anything better than that would be fantastic... trust me.

At the moment i'm leaning towards the Zetec but last week I wanted a Polo Gti so my mind changes week to week :evil3:

Must have points:
+ Good styling
+ Good performance
+ Good handling
+ Reasonable amount of safety features
+ MUST NOT BE KOREAN!
+ Reasonable fuel consumption

btw i'm a student, male and I do a lot of country driving if that helps at all. And i'm not fussed whether its a manual or auto

Last edited by Franky; 10-04-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
Cooper69S

well the Mazda6 is certainly a good option. I bought one for my mrs and have been very impressed. styling, comfort, features, performance, handling, fuel economy - all top notch and I would highly recommend it. apparently they're the best in their class for economy (8.8L/100km) and also highest resale value.

but personally if I was going to buy myself a car for $20k right now, it would be either XW or XY falcon with a late model injected V8 engine on dedicated lpg. you'd have a solid reliable car cheaper to run than most new 4cyl's and instead of it being worth $10k in 5 years time it would probably be worth >$30k.
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mazda 6 or XR6 but a manual Mazda 6 can be very miserly with the juice. If you don't need the size/power of the XR6, the Mazda 6 is a no brainer.

It should be able to better 8.8 l/100k
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is recent.

I advocate 2nd hand Falcons @ ~15k...60,000kms on the clock and about 3 years old.

Otherwise, go for a new car.
uranium_death is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

BA MARK II FUTURA with 40,000 on it from auctions - 15 grand a remainder of warranty.

Better highway car then the mazda 6!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about a brand new Ford Focus CL? $19,990 drive-away.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #7
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2004/2005 TL/TW Magna VRX. You could probably even pick up an awd version in that price range. Loaded with features, safety, cruise, climate, power etc if you can live with the front end styling (looks better on this model though with the different front bar and colour coded lights)

162kw/332NM IIRC, 0-100 roughy mid 7s, fwd manual vrxs have recorded 7 sec flat

Don't like the headlights? Well you can get similiar in the TJ2 Series (02-03) for even less.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

go the mazda 6
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 04:37 PM   #9
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky
no suggestions over 25k please.

At the moment i'm leaning towards the Zetec but last week I wanted a Polo Gti so my mind changes week to week :evil3:

Must have points:
+ Good styling
+ Good performance
+ Good handling
+ Reasonable amount of safety features
+ MUST NOT BE KOREAN!
+ Reasonable fuel consumption
Franky........you say "no suggestions over 25k" and yet you quote the Polo GTi as one of the cars you're considering, which according to the VW website is just under 27k + ORC.

If you can get one under your 25k limit and taking your "must have" list into consideration, the Polo GTi would certainly be my pick as it pretty much fits all those considerations on the list.

Personally I would always buy a new car over a second hand one, yes you may get more car for your money buying second hand but what sort of history has the car had?,........."that's always the unknown factor."

The only other brand new "small" car I can think of that may fit your criteria is the soon to be released Fiesta XR4, that might be worth considering?
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #10
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
What is recent.

I advocate 2nd hand Falcons @ ~15k...60,000kms on the clock and about 3 years old.

Otherwise, go for a new car.
recent being from this decade

I saw the $19,990 ad for the CL in the paper the other day, it's a great deal. I don't like the styling of a base model falcon either :
Old 10-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #11
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
Franky........you say "no suggestions over 25k" and yet you quote the Polo GTi as one of the cars you're considering, which according to the VW website is just under 27k + ORC.

If you can get one under your 25k limit and taking your "must have" list into consideration, the Polo GTi would certainly be my pick as it pretty much fits all those considerations on the list.

Personally I would always buy a new car over a second hand one, yes you may get more car for your money buying second hand but what sort of history has the car had?,........."that's always the unknown factor."

The only other brand new "small" car I can think of that may fit your criteria is the soon to be released Fiesta XR4, that might be worth considering?
You are correct and thats pretty much the only reason I don't have one, I worked out finance + insurance and on road costs and the Gti pushed the 30k mark which is just too much otherwise it's a brilliant car. I decided to stop pushing my budget which I do quite often.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #12
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it were me I would get a VXII SS manual which is IMO the best car for around 20K. But since you are a student and will be paying for fuel I would probably recommend a manual mazda 6 or a BA XR6 (can be quite heavy on fuel if driven in stop start traffic).
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 04:52 PM   #13
Mondie
Firm member

For 20k you could get yourself into a series 1 or 2 TE/TS50. l believe they wont depreciate too much further so it would be a good option when the overall cost of ownership is weighed up.

My 2c.
Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 05:01 PM   #14
Franky
Bring back the Phase

I'm still on my p's so i cannot drive either of those vechicles (maybe the TE/TS50 series 1) because they are only 200kw but still heavy on fuel ;)
Old 10-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #15
jdg
Aussie cars rule!

Looked at Accord Euro's under 25k? They are a very neat package. Not to bad on the economy, bu at the same time 140kw is a fair amount of grunt from a N/A 4 cyl. And a Honda with 50, 000km is just being run in :P
jdg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #16
BlackLS

Another car to consider is the mighty Nissan Maxima. Pimp mobile.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 05:18 PM   #17
TUF514
Banned

What do you consider good performance?

Toyota prius has a heap of torque.

They are good on the juice too.
TUF514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #18
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

BA Fairmont with some fruit $15000
SGI conversion $4000 less $2000 rebate
3k left for maintainence and/or mods

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #19
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondie
l believe they wont depreciate too much further so it would be a good option when the overall cost of ownership is weighed up.
I think quite often people pay a lot of attention to the fuel cost, without realising that depreciation is a direct expense just like the fuel. I had a BA Ghia for a year. It cost about $50/week in fuel and $200/week in depreciation. Hence my previous post about buying a XW/XY. I wasn't trying to be funny - even if it doesn't fit much of the criteria... Classics can be very economical cars to own. When I sold my Mini last year I made an overall profit on total cost of ownership, including 3 years worth of rego, insurance, fuel and a $5k engine build. Try achieving that with the average new car...
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #20
Scott

T1 TE50 should fit the $$, T2 if you're lucky. Otherwise the XR6 is a good option.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #21
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

mate the choice is simple, BA1 Fairmont Ghia. I sourced a v8 which i was going to pick up for 17k ... far more features than an xr6 and just as economical to run. You can't go wrong.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 06:00 PM   #22
XR6 Freek

Lexus IS200 99/01 model
XR6 Freek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #23
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

by the way, i meant the I6 version of the Ghia is just as economical, not the v8. although they're not far different.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #24
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

I would reccomend a second hand BA falc, witht he left over money get wheels and asuspension, cant go wrong!
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #25
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We recently bought a BA fairmont ghia 5.4ltr,sunroof,plus anything else that could be fitted to it from dealer/factory,new tyres, 80ks,$20k original new price was near $60k the guy I bought it off paid.!!!!,if your after better fuel consumption go for a 6cyl which there are quite a few in auctions now. Good value for money they've depreciated enough now to get a decent one.
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #26
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky
I'm still on my p's so i cannot drive either of those vechicles (maybe the TE/TS50 series 1) because they are only 200kw but still heavy on fuel ;)
You can drive the 200kw version on your P's under the current Victorian laws but not the 220kw one.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #27
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another thing to add into the mix is insurance. My mate bought a BA Mk1 XR6 and had to fork out $3500 for comprehensive cover. This was not a turbo model either.

Don't know if this is typical but that is a lot $$$ for an N/A XR6, and there is no way I would pay that amount of money for that car. Just something for you to investigate before you start to get into the nitty gritty of buying a car.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 11:39 PM   #28
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrackers
mate the choice is simple, BA1 Fairmont Ghia. I sourced a v8 which i was going to pick up for 17k ... far more features than an xr6 and just as economical to run. You can't go wrong.
mate I would stay well clear of a BA ghia if fuel is a concern, we have a V8 BA Ghia and its is a shocker !!! ...the worst !!! even compared to some old Hipo GT's Ive owned.. Beuatiful in every other way though
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 12:02 AM   #29
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
mate I would stay well clear of a BA ghia if fuel is a concern, we have a V8 BA Ghia and its is a shocker !!! ...the worst !!! even compared to some old Hipo GT's Ive owned.. Beuatiful in every other way though
how bad is yours?around town its not real good, on the 100k+ zones its better,try fitting extractors and bigger intake pipe it may help,Im trying this too.

my wife just cruises around in ours when we do shoppping/running around we take the AU wagon
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 07:15 AM   #30
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Proton Jumbuck > any cars listed so far.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post