Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-04-2007, 03:12 AM   #1
Maximus
ED XR6

Default Datsun Trouble

Hey guys, My mate and I are just trying to fix up his Datsun 200b. We ripped the engine out, took off the head, to do the head gasket, and now we're having trouble with the timing chain.

We put the cam back in the head, but i think we did it wrong, we got it lined up with the notches, so the timing's right, but when we put the cam back in we kind of levered the cam from where the sprocket is to the other end down.

It looked to be right, so we put the rocker cover back on and thought we'd try and chuck the starter motor back on with some jumper leads to my car and make sure it turned around. We tried it and the starter engaged, looked and sounded like it was trying to turn the flywheel but as if there was something restricting it.

So we took off the rocker cover, and turned the engine by hand with a breaker bar on the crankshaft pully. it turned around but took a little bit of effort.

We then looked at the timing chain, and its realy tight. We're pretty sure it shouldn't be that tight so we took the cam sprocket off again and and the chain wont allow it to reach up to fit on the cam.

We think the tensioner is in place correctly, so what else could it be that is making the chain seem like its slightly shorter than it should be?

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I'd suggest the tensioner has popped out AND the chain has come off crank sprocket!
On the L20 engines, if you don't have the correct tool you can use a piece of 25mm plastic conduit about 120mm long, that you push down between the chain BEFORE removing cam sprocket. This holds the tensioner in place, as well as keeping chain in place on crankshaft sprocket.
Only option now is taking timing cover off and starting from scratch.
Oh, and BTW... Do NOT use the cam as a lever to get the chain back on!...
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
Addz08
"FEED IT"

The tensioner has definitely come out, a mate of mine did the same thing, A timber wedge with a piece of rope attached to it so you can pull it out works, then just wedge it between the chain..
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
Maximus
ED XR6

Cheers guys, We're going to just rip the timing cover off again and see if we can sort it out.

Yeah we had one of the triangle wooden bits, it may have come loose though.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 09:23 PM   #5
mustang70

yeah its your tensioner for sure, had the same on an L20
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post