Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #31
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

It's around 16 hours driving time. Sections of the Newell are 110kph which means 120kph... it's easy to make good time.
Last time I did it was last year and it was Melb - Narrabri in one hit, then Narrabri to Glen Innes to Bris at a lope.
If you don't mind a bit of dirt its the quickest way.

edit: oh yeah, get yourself a cheap uhf and antenna off ebay... it takes a lot of the worry out of it ;)
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 10:27 PM   #32
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

i've done the drive to and from brisbane in 17 hours by myself(silly me), straight driving, only stopping few times for fuel.

take 'nodoze' pills you get in the fuel station... helps a little bit..

you can sit on 120kmph (in 110 zone) and not get done by safe-t-cam.

have fun

edit: if you a person that gets tired and falls asleep easy, don't do it in one hit .. or atleast get a second driver =)

I have done the trip 3 times

first from melb. to bris. was straight to dubbo, stay there for one night... then complete the trip the following day (leaving in the morning)

on the way back.. i sort of said .. i'll drive straight to dubbo..except, to me; it felt as if what the hell, i'm halfway home ! so i did it straight drive

.. 3rd time, i planed it up to brisbane, and drove mates car back, straight run... bit boring that time as nothing 'scenery' changes :(

Last edited by kyro_02; 13-04-2007 at 10:34 PM.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 11:58 PM   #33
FDG 220
Confused lil guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS50
well sounds like the Newell is the route for me, I was planning on doing about 12 hrs day 1, then a overnight stop, then the remainder (sounds like 8 hrs) next day
I had heard driving on that highway at nite was risky due to the high number of semis using it. Would hate to get a million stone chips on the front of it
Thanks all for their input
Seriously mate everyone here is exagerating about trucks on newell highway, i should know as i drive the newell frequently between melb and bris in a semi

You get 50% less traffic on the road at night hence the reason why we travel it at night instead of during the day, only time you will get annoyed by trucks overtaking you is if you are one of those drivers that likes to sit on 90 and then 110 when overtaking lanes arise, this is our pet hate, any driver that does this nearly deserves to get run off road as they really do give us drivers the shits and make us perform erattic manouvres just to get around them
End of the day if you are sitting on the limit or just over (within 5km/h of course) you would be lucky to even see a truck in your direction at certain times of night

Best stops for decent food are - Mobil Narrandarra, truck stop in West Wyalong, BP in Parkes, Caltex in Dubbo (on the outer skirts on way out of dubbo towards gilgandra), Shell at Gilgandra is ok but not a fav of mine, BP or Caltex in Goondiwindi (both fantastic food), Caltex in Warwick (VERY good)

From Melb will take you around 18-19hrs comfortabely allowing for stops for fuel etc
If not used to driving long trips i would recommend getting motel around halfway point Dubbo or if you wanted to there's not bad caravan park with cabins in Parkes which is only about 1hr before Dubbo and you could go have look at the big dish whilst your out there

Hope this helps
If you want anymore specific info shoot me a PM
FDG 220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 02:04 PM   #34
DTFRMONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickXR
, truck stop in West Wyalong,
The best toasted egg & bacon sandwiches i've had were at the truck stop at West Wyalong. mmmmmmmmmm.........
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #35
56pickup
Banned

I did this trip a few years back. Left Ascot Vale at Midday Sunday, arrived at Bris Vegas at 8:30 am . Hi Lux 2.4 D . Just straight up to Sheparton , hit the Newell stop every three hours or next major town/truck stop. It can be done if you pace yourself and have regular breaks
56pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #36
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS50
I am just wondering if I can get some feedback on how long it takes to drive from Melbourne to Brisbane.
I am not looking to set any records, but no stops apart from those for food, petrol and rests.
But just a sensible drive, not looking for sight seeing or anything.
Any help would be gratefully accepted
18 hours easily , 16.5 if you're in a hurry
two up is much easier as you can guess , thats with around an hour stopped for fuel and food and "other " things
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #37
Diesel Dog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickXR
Seriously mate everyone here is exagerating about trucks on newell highway, i should know as i drive the newell frequently between melb and bris in a semi

You get 50% less traffic on the road at night hence the reason why we travel it at night instead of during the day, only time you will get annoyed by trucks overtaking you is if you are one of those drivers that likes to sit on 90 and then 110 when overtaking lanes arise, this is our pet hate, any driver that does this nearly deserves to get run off road as they really do give us drivers the shits and make us perform erattic manouvres just to get around them
End of the day if you are sitting on the limit or just over (within 5km/h of course) you would be lucky to even see a truck in your direction at certain times of night

Best stops for decent food are - Mobil Narrandarra, truck stop in West Wyalong, BP in Parkes, Caltex in Dubbo (on the outer skirts on way out of dubbo towards gilgandra), Shell at Gilgandra is ok but not a fav of mine, BP or Caltex in Goondiwindi (both fantastic food), Caltex in Warwick (VERY good)

From Melb will take you around 18-19hrs comfortabely allowing for stops for fuel etc
If not used to driving long trips i would recommend getting motel around halfway point Dubbo or if you wanted to there's not bad caravan park with cabins in Parkes which is only about 1hr before Dubbo and you could go have look at the big dish whilst your out there

Hope this helps
If you want anymore specific info shoot me a PM
Probably the best post here yet. Right on the money.

Another option for a car driver is do MEL-SYD and time your run thru Sydney so it's after evening peak period and use the M7. I do MEL-SYD in a Kennie all the time in 9hours including a half hour in Tarcutta. Add half hour thru Sydney and then a car can do SYD-BNE easy in 9 hours. All freeway up to Newcastle these days. ALbury bypass is a huge saving.

As for people posting about Safe-T-Cam - only applicable to trucks. If you wanna know how to do MEL-BNE non stop or 'express' and avoid safe-T-Cam probs in a truck you'll have to see the right people at the truck stops :evilsasmo Never know who might be on here. :Up_to_som :the_finge
Diesel Dog is offline   Reply With Quote