Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
Ford_Crazy

Default March 2007 Car Sales

Here you go guys! http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=37632&vf=2

Top 20 passenger cars and 4WDs
1. Holden Commodore 5752
2. Toyota Corolla 4029
3. Ford Falcon 3249
4. Mazda3 3182
5. Toyota Yaris 2702
6. Toyota Camry 2574
7. Toyota Aurion 2037
8. Hyundai Getz 1895
9. Holden Astra 1771
10. Honda Civic 1685
11. Ford Focus 1595
12. Mitsubishi Lancer 1575
13. Nissan Tiida 1527
14. Honda CR-V 1454
15. Toyota RAV4 1406
16. Ford Territory 1383
17. Toyota Prado 1314
18. Suzuki Swift 1251
19. Mazda6 1232
20. Mitsubishi Pajero 1213

Top 10 Manufacturers
1. Toyota 21,390
2. Holden 13,454
3. Ford 10,074
4. Mazda 7,140
5. Mitsubishi 6,201
6. Honda 5,936
7. Nissan 5,811
8. Hyundai 3,804
9. Subaru 3,613
10. Volkswagen 2,265

Ford_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Toyota are blitzing everyone.

They have a car for all. Aurion is selling quite well also, and if you add that to Camry sales they are doing well locally.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I can't fathom how in this current energy climate how the Commonwhore is selling better than any other car on the market. Me thinks Holden is preregistering the effin things to stack the numbers in their favor.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

jeez the Aurion/Camry is really like a storm, killing the falcon and to be honest i find the falcon a better car.
Good to see the Focus selling well.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you treat Camry and Aurion as once car, thats 4600 of them, placing it in second. (If the 6 cyl and v8 falcs and commys are one car then the 4 and 6 toyota can be too)

Falcon is now down to 3250, and territory 1383 (was around 2000).
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The Falcons doing ok for a model that is gonna change soon, but the Territory figures are really worrying. Whats so good about the RAV4?
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
The Falcons doing ok for a model that is gonna change soon, but the Territory figures are really worrying. Whats so good about the RAV4?
The Territory is starting to look old compared to the newer shape of the RAV4, CRV, and others come down the line. So its expected that it will fall as people now have many choices. Don't get me wrong, I personally still really like the Terri, but there are some angles which look a little older now (particularly the rear).
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #8
QualityCounts

The trend from the VFACTS data shows that in a few months time, Toyota will sell more vehicles than both Holden and Ford combined.
The Terri is a great car, but it's three years old and the cabin and styling are starting to look dated. Its features of a powerful engine, 6-speed auto, RWD variant and reversing camera option will be matched by the new Kluger.
http://www.pressroom.com.au/press_re...ID=2&prID=3203
I've owned the Rav4 for a year. It is nice looking from all angles and doesn't have the controversial front of the new CRV. It's cabin is big enough, there are no clunks and the 2.4L 4cyl engine has sufficient power. The availability of a 3.5L V6 engine later this year will make the Rav4 the most powerful compact SUV in Aust.
I see more and more Aurions everyday. The waiting time for a new car is long. A colleague ordered his ZR6 in Jan and will only get it in May. The Aurion has the right size, safety is standard, and the engine has the right balance of power and fuel economy.

Last edited by QualityCounts; 07-04-2007 at 08:28 PM.
QualityCounts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2007, 08:36 PM   #9
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
I think many Falcon owners have also switched to the Territory, I know we have a lot of them here...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #10
jdg
Aussie cars rule!

Quote:
2. Toyota Corolla 4029
Man this is the Corolla that is what 4-5 years old? I wonder what sales will be like when the new one is out later this year...
jdg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2007, 12:34 PM   #11
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Whats so good about the RAV4?
Its a Toyota _2:
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2007, 03:33 PM   #12
The Monty
Just slidin'

Falcon seems to be doing well. 3200 is fine me thinks.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #13
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Corolla set to stun in June/July I believe. New model hits showrooms in mid May for EOFY purchasing..
Old 09-04-2007, 09:26 AM   #14
teamkiwiracing
Starter Motor

Does anyone have the break down for ford and holden models?
teamkiwiracing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by QualityCounts
The trend from the VFACTS data shows that in a few months time, Toyota will sell more vehicles than both Holden and Ford combined.
The Terri is a great car, but it's three years old and the cabin and styling are starting to look dated. Its features of a powerful engine, 6-speed auto, RWD variant and reversing camera option will be matched by the new Kluger.
http://www.pressroom.com.au/press_re...ID=2&prID=3203
The new Kluger will have the option of FWD :ymca: , not RWD like the Territory.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #16
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Great to see the Falc still hanging in there.

The figures really do show how peoples attitudes to cars have changed.

Kudos to the Commodore, it really is killing everything else. We have a number of them as company cars now and they seem to be doing fine. The biggest surprise was just how small the boot opening is..........

At the end of the day, it will take a quantum shift in engineering philosophy and marketing direction to turn the Falcon around. I'm sure ORION will be a great car, but I don't think it will be the "quantum shift" required to make a difference to the status quo.

Just some thoughts here, but a lot of people I've spoken to have mentioned things like the following which may help :
  • 6 speed auto standard across the range
    More fuel efficiency - cylinder shut down technology
    Bigger range of options at reasonable prices
    Much Better pricing than GM
    A different marketing approach ????????
    6 Year Factory warranty as standard
    Some sort of Dealer BUY BACK program for used ORIONS ?????

It's real hard to change people's buying patterns and perceptions so I reckon the ORION will be up against it BIG TIME. It's the underdog and it may well stay that way for a very long time.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #17
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

Falcon is probably doing better than expected:

Falcon/Territory combined: 4,632
Camry/Aurion combined: 4,611
Commodore: 5752

Not that far off the pace for a car in its end of life phase.

Don't know if the Commodore figures include Statesman. Probably another few hundred there. Might be a few tens of Fairlanes and a handful of LTDs to be added to Falcon.
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #18
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a significant moron factor in the Australian car market (that perhaps reflects the national personality?) - people are sucked in by slick marketing which Holden and Toyota have and the others haven't. Quality isn't a factor because Mazda and Honda rate well above Toyota as quality Japanese products and, while they are strong sellers, they are not wiping the market as perhaps they should if people genuinely went for quality. (And they would get the benefit of better design and dynamics as well.)

Perhaps better look to the European market to see what buyers better discern as quality.

As for the comments on the Territory's design, there are poor flash in the pan designs and designs that stand up over time. Have a look at cars like the Range Rover and Posrsche whose basic designs have been around for decades and then look in 1970s/80s motor mags and look how crap some of the 'cutting edge' designs of that time look now. The current batch of low gun-turret slitted window designs will look absolutely ridiculous in a few years (as they do now to anyone with taste), which won't cultivate their resale potential.

The whole thing must be worrying for manufacturers like Ford who produce good designs. There is a good editorial in this month's Wheels about it.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #19
QualityCounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The new Kluger will have the option of FWD :ymca: , not RWD like the Territory.
You're right Bossxr8.
The new Kluger will be available in AWD and FWD just like the US Highlander. Yanks don't like RWD. They're shocking in snow.

Last edited by QualityCounts; 01-05-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:33 PM   #20
matt-chops

I hate Toyota Camrys. I hate them with a passion. In fact... I loathe them. I'm going to go ahead and make the call that Camry drivers are the new 'Volvo Driver' in that they have no idea of the world around them and generally lack the ability and common sense to operate a motor vehicle.

From this point forward, as you take notice of the make of car each time something stupid happens on a road near you, you will be amazed to find that most will be a Camry. Thats a promise.
matt-chops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #21
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by QualityCounts
You're right Bossxr8.
The new Kluger will be available in AWD and FWD just like the US Highlander. Yanks don't like RWD. They're shocking in snow.
Mmmm wonder why the Territory is so good in snow?

Things must be terrible in Europe for all those BMW and Merc owners - imagine not being able to drive in winter. It seems from your comment that you haven't lived and driven in a snow-bound country.

As for the Klugers FWD-biased grip check the latest Wheels WASP tests for a reality check.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:02 PM   #22
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Mmmm wonder why the Territory is so good in snow?

Things must be terrible in Europe for all those BMW and Merc owners - imagine not being able to drive in winter. It seems from your comment that you haven't lived and driven in a snow-bound country.

As for the Klugers FWD-biased grip check the latest Wheels WASP tests for a reality check.
I've lived in the US for a while and drove in the snow regularly. The RWD cars I drove are absolutely dangerous to drive on roads that aren't properly salted and graded.

I had a 1998 Mustang GT Coupe for a while and remember driving to the gym one Saturday morning while it was snowing and before the graders and salt trucks got out and about.

After 'tip toeing' to the first set of lights (I knew it would be a risky drive) I stopped at the red light. When the lights turned green all I was successful in doing, while I was very carefully applying the accelerator, was to turn the car around 120 degrees. There was no grip at all and the car just wanted to go sideways.

I couldn't work out why my work colleagues laughed at me when I told them I was getting a 'stang. When winter set in, I did !! They all drove FWD and AWD cars.

The Mustang is a fairly basic car and doesn't have all the electronic controls and safety systems that Higher spec 'Euro' RWD cars have (didn't drive one of those but they maybe a lot better - don't know). American RWD's are just dangerous in the snow from my experience and from that of my American friends.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #23
QualityCounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
I've lived in the US for a while and drove in the snow regularly. The RWD cars I drove are absolutely dangerous to drive on roads that aren't properly salted and graded.

I had a 1998 Mustang GT Coupe for a while and remember driving to the gym one Saturday morning while it was snowing and before the graders and salt trucks got out and about.

After 'tip toeing' to the first set of lights (I knew it would be a risky drive) I stopped at the red light. When the lights turned green all I was successful in doing, while I was very carefully applying the accelerator, was to turn the car around 120 degrees. There was no grip at all and the car just wanted to go sideways.

I couldn't work out why my work colleagues laughed at me when I told them I was getting a 'stang. When winter set in, I did !! They all drove FWD and AWD cars.

The Mustang is a fairly basic car and doesn't have all the electronic controls and safety systems that Higher spec 'Euro' RWD cars have (didn't drive one of those but they maybe a lot better - don't know). American RWD's are just dangerous in the snow from my experience and from that of my American friends.
Well said Barraxr8. I lived in the US for seven years. I know what it's like to have a RWD spin 180 deg in the snow.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:32 PM   #24
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
and doesn't have all the electronic controls and safety systems that Higher spec 'Euro' RWD cars have (didn't drive one of those but they maybe a lot better .
Like you said Barraxr8. The Americans simply can't design cars. And its not just higher spec Euro cars. Base Mercs etc are used as taxis too.

To Americans Toyotas would be like Porsches. Toyotas are designed for the huge American export market and cater to soggy American expectations. They constantly get a drubbing in the (professional) motoring press in Europe and Australia (See for example the comparo Commodore, Camry, 380, Falcon in the May Wheels) but the Americans think they're marvellous. Toyota maintains its lazy approach to design because it gets no criticism in its largest market (and not much from Australians by the look of it).

Toyota Australian executives would be well aware of the shortcomings but while the sales keep rolling in what's the point of sending a message back to Japan? The tricks they play when the microscope is on them prove that they know about the shortcomings, e.g. the first Wheels WASP test when Wheels asked for the base seller from each manufacturer and Toyota submitted an Altise rather than a base Camry - though the Altise didn't do very well anyway.

But....we have an uncritical market here so the show rolls on.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #25
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Toyota Australian executives would be well aware of the shortcomings but while the sales keep rolling in what's the point of sending a message back to Japan? The tricks they play when the microscope is on them prove that they know about the shortcomings, e.g. the first Wheels WASP test when Wheels asked for the base seller from each manufacturer and Toyota submitted an Altise rather than a base Camry - though the Altise didn't do very well anyway.

But....we have an uncritical market here so the show rolls on.
Altise = base model Camry.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #26
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oops sorry I meant Sportivo of course!