Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Should I be worried?

Went to use the flash tuner on the ute today to put it back to stock, as Im a bit tired of the tune I have on there at the moment.

It reversed no worries and I loaded the stock program, but I found that after doing that and driving it, it is changing gears really erratically, revving right out and getting some major driveline clunk happening. I know its normal for it to be a bit wobbly afterwards as it's learning the driving style and conditions etc, but this felt as though something was actually wrong, it's never behaved that way before.

As a precaution I have actually put the custom tune back in, and it's driving ok now. Just wondering what I should do though?

Old 14-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you need to reset the ECU
dissconnect the battery for about 45 min after you reflash it then do the following
1 start engine then turn the A/C on & idle 2 min
2 turn A/C off idle 2 Min
3 put in Drive with A/C on, idle 2 min
4 Turn A/C off, idle 2 min
drive for 5 minutes changing speeds and throtle positions as much as possible
ECU is now reset but will learn further from your driving
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
dissconnect the battery for about 45 min after you reflash it then do the following
never done that and never will, i dont believe that it is neccesary. The ECU will adapt over time anyway, you cant speed it up as such. My point is that Im worried the flash tune may damage my car and Im wondering what I should do about it.
Old 14-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats fine if you don't want to but the ecu has learnt the paramaters for the flash and you need to reset it this is the quickest way to acheive it ford don't set the sequence because the like printing more pages
Old 14-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
302XLS

I agree with au3xr6, I reckon you need to reset the ecu. I'm not sure about all that turn this on and turn that off, try disconnecting the battery overnight, then start normally in the morning. I think i read somewhere on here that if you disconnect the batter for about 4 hours it should reset the ecu, not to sure though.

302XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302XLS
I agree with au3xr6, I reckon you need to reset the ecu. I'm not sure about all that turn this on and turn that off, try disconnecting the battery overnight, then start normally in the morning. I think i read somewhere on here that if you disconnect the batter for about 4 hours it should reset the ecu, not to sure though.
the method i outlined is direct from ford. i know they don't get it right all the time but this is tried and proven
Old 14-05-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you flash the right tune in austin? Sometimes it does take a whikle for the ecu to relern a change.
Whenever ive reset the ecu, i just started it, and drove hard and all is good, never bothered with any sequence and have never had an issue.
Never left it overnite either, wont be any different whether you leave it disconnected for 1/2 hr, or 48 hrs...
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
Did you flash the right tune in austin? Sometimes it does take a whikle for the ecu to relern a change.
Whenever ive reset the ecu, i just started it, and drove hard and all is good, never bothered with any sequence and have never had an issue.
Never left it overnite either, wont be any different whether you leave it disconnected for 1/2 hr, or 48 hrs...
yeah i know i did it right, and i did check the tune before i flashed it.

got me stuffed but ill keep dirving it and see what happens.
Old 14-05-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
Sledgehammer
Banned

The AU ecu is also not like the BA-BF one so I would imagine that its different as well, so give it a go.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 10:24 PM   #10
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Philstoj is right. Doing the 2 min here there and everywhere cycling with/without the a/c with the car going nowhere = 8 mins better spent on the road allowing the ECU to relearn under actual conditions.
Old 15-05-2007, 12:34 AM   #11
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

the ac on/off procedure scraps all the previously learnt perameters. its not entireley necessary as given enough time the ecu will take less and less notice of the older perameters the longer you go, but theres no harm in spending a few minuts on the reset to speed up the whole process after any changes.

having said that I dont have any experience with flash tuning, but.......

did you get the custom flash tune at the same time as any other major mod (more specificaly a transmission or diff mod) if so, it could be possible the stock tune is not well suited to the change (in which case you wouldnt have noticed it before if you went straight to the custom tune at the same time)

just a thought........ if not...??????
Old 15-05-2007, 01:31 AM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Philstoj is right. Doing the 2 min here there and everywhere cycling with/without the a/c with the car going nowhere = 8 mins better spent on the road allowing the ECU to relearn under actual conditions.
this "useless" 8 min procedure will do what will take weeks to acheive by driving. It resets your ECU to a baseline setting and gets it running resonably well in short time. I've done this on quite a few cars and has sorted a few dramas it really is worth the effort
Old 15-05-2007, 01:39 AM   #13
DavesXr8

Quote:
this "useless" 8 min procedure will do what will take weeks to acheive by driving. It resets your ECU to a baseline setting and gets it running resonably well in short time. I've done this on quite a few cars and has sorted a few dramas it really is worth the effort

Actually it does work beleive it or not my car was fartin and running bad after we fixd the prob the car wasnt running right and my mate is a auto elec he did the exact same procedure and sure enough it cleard the crap away. Car ran fine after it was done
DavesXr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #14
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

Quote:
how would this apply to a manual car? abviously u cant idle it in drive for 2mins
TICK4D-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #15
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I think you just slot it into first AFAIK.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #16
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

This is slightly off-topic, but a couple of years ago, someone was going on about instead of waiting ages after the battery is disconnected, you can just pump the brake pedal a few times to drain the system of power faster. Is that correct?

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #17
xr8ute
Back on the road

The process of flashing a new tune to your computer will also clear the contents of the Keep-Alive Memory (aka KAM). This is where all the "learned" information lives for short term, long term, and idle fuel trims.

Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes also clear the KAM.

Clearing the KAM is what you are doing when you "reset the ECU".

The idle with AC on/off type process has no is the quickest way for the computer to re-learn the fuel correction values for idle stored in the KAM.

I have heard that some adaptive shift strategy informatio is also stored in KAM. I always found, after disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, that the next few gearchanges would occur at much higher RPM than normal.

I wouldn't worry about it man. In my experience, that is very normal behaviour for my ute (also having adaptive shift auto) after having the battery disconnected i.e. resetting the KAM (which you have just done by re-flashing your computer)

Someone suggested to me once that this can happen when the computer hasn't seen a TPS value for WOT yet, so the transmission control does not know what the TPS for full throttle should be. Not sure how true that really is, but its an explanation that works for me. I never had dramas after giving it a blat at WOT

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post