Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-05-2007, 09:46 PM   #1
XRLNT-8
Monsoon SIII XR8 220

Default XR Nose Cone

Hey fellas,

The nose cone on my xr8 has a zillion stone chips in it (oversparayed when I bought it) which I want to fix up. Would the crash shop rub back the old paint or just add a spray filler then rub back? Is there anything I could do at home to save money like on prepping before going to crash shop?

Thanks in advance (paint and panel are not my specialty!)

Sly

XRLNT-8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 11:15 PM   #2
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRLNT-8
Is there anything I could do at home to save money like on prepping before going to crash shop?
Go the panel shop and ask them what you can do do reduce the cost.

No use prepping it yourself if it would have cost you $300 before prepping and ends up costing $300 after you've prepped it, lol.

Get a few quotes though... in my experience the costs can vary widely, eg I was quoted $460, $300 and $260 to get an aftermarket bar prepped and painted.

Ended up costing $100 and a carton ;)
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 11:33 PM   #3
Soundwarp
Blue to the bone!

Bloody good question mate

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...dwarp/fbar.jpg
Soundwarp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
XR6Stu

We would charge approx $500- $600 for aan XR front bar to be sprayed. Where abouts do you live?
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
347 mont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would be getting at least 3 quotes,
Old 12-05-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
XRLNT-8
Monsoon SIII XR8 220

XR6Stu i'm in Adelaide
Old 12-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
XR6Stu

damn. I was gonna say if you were in vic within a couple of hours of bendigo Id come sand it back for you tomorrow. Im a beater by trade and for the first weekend in I cant remember how long dont have anything planned, and dont have any "backyard" jobs on the go! Sorry I cant help you mate.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
XRLNT-8
Monsoon SIII XR8 220

Hey thats too bad Stu! A few beers and some cash would've been changin' hands quick smart!
Old 12-05-2007, 10:09 PM   #9
Soundwarp
Blue to the bone!

Mate you got pics of the stone chip ares?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...dwarp/fbar.jpg
Soundwarp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #10
Umineko
Karasu

I would find a panel shop who's willing to do the job properly IE full rub back, don't try to do it yourself, as a spraypainter I can tell you nothing s**ts me more than having to fix prep work done by people who really have no idea what they are doing.
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #11
XRLNT-8
Monsoon SIII XR8 220

Thanks Umineko, that is exactly the answer I was hoping for, a definate one way or the other from an expert. I will leave it to the pros.

Cheers,
Simon
Old 13-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umineko
I would find a panel shop who's willing to do the job properly IE full rub back, don't try to do it yourself, as a spraypainter I can tell you nothing s**ts me more than having to fix prep work done by people who really have no idea what they are doing.
I've heard some beaters say soon as they see you've "had a go" they up the price because the job usually requires more work to get it right
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #13
Umineko
Karasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
I've heard some beaters say soon as they see you've "had a go" they up the price because the job usually requires more work to get it right
Absolutely.. I know people like to save bucks, but honestly like most tradesmen I have my own way of doing things and it's seriously unlikely that any work the average joe does to "help" is going to come up to standard and to be frank, sometimes they end up doing more damage and making the job harder for me than if they had just left it alone. If I have a car come in for work and the owners had a go at it themselves I usually add a bit extra to cover undoing what they have done
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2007, 12:02 AM   #14
XR6Stu

Yep, we find this constantly at work. Guy have a go at prepping something, or trying to fix it themselves, and we have to fix their work, as well as the repair itself. If you cant find a genuine tradesperson, take it to a panel shop. Let us kn ow how much you get charged.