Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fibreglassing, and fibreglass resistant something

well, i am keen to have a go at making my own airbox out of fibreglass. i am aware of all the dangers of working with it, but my question is...

is there a product that is resistant to the fibreglass resin. i want to make a shielded off section where my old airbox used to live. If there was something that i could put down over my guard as a barrier and then fibreglass over.

any suggestions???

Old 10-06-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

What are the dangers of working with it?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you would work the other way in a sense, by making the mould then say sticking a thin layer of rubber to the underside of the mould to sit snug into the bay.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Phill
What are the dangers of working with it?
Mainly health dangers. You need a well ventlated area, breathing masks and eye protection. avoid getting resin etc on you skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
I think you would work the other way in a sense, by making the mould then say sticking a thin layer of rubber to the underside of the mould to sit snug into the bay.
Well, i was thinking... getting 2 ply timber, and cutting to make the walls of the intake. and then lining guard with thick plastic. then line the timber with plastic and then fibreglass that. i was thinking the plastic would need to be a little thicker than drop sheeting used for painting. you could maybe use a heat gun to get the plastic sheeting to mould a little better?

am i sort of on the right path?
Old 10-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OED666
Mainly health dangers. You need a well ventlated area, breathing masks and eye protection. avoid getting resin etc on you skin.
Are you serious? I used to sit in a little room for days breathing that stuff in, with no gloves or eye protection. I know it stinks like hell but it didnt really bother me. wow.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
XRated
Shoot.

Phill not everyone is a pro with fibreglass or anything for that matter. He's just being cautious and asking questions. 'Better safe than sorry...'

OED, you just need to line the area where you want to 'glass with masking tape, just make sure the area is well covered. Do a search on the 'net and you will find a stack of tutorials on fibreglassing.

I've done some home fibreglassing, and honestly, it's not too bad to work with. I only wore gloves (got a bulk pack) and was careful using the stuff. Just be careful with cutting it up because it seems to end up everywhere, so choose an isolated area.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Actually as sarcastic as it sounds reading back, I was being serious.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Just make sure you got gloves on, cause fibreglass is itchy as all hell...
Old 10-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've done a bit of fibre glassing. In a previous life I made fibreglass downlights and copped lung fulls of the crap everyday. Nothing like glass boogers. Wear a mask, glasses, and rubber gloves. I've also redone the interior on a couple of boats and repaired boat hulls. All just amateur stuff.

I remember seeing someone laying glass in a mould once. They dusted it with white powder before they started. I assumed it was to stop it sticking to the mould. What is that stuff? I would love to make a glass bonnet using an old bonnet as a mould maybe.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2007, 08:14 PM   #10
LUXO_8
windsor user

i need to do a custom stereo surround for my car as ive got the TV and headunit, so i need to make up a 2din surround...

watching this thread closely for pointers
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #11
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I've been looking at using plaster to make a mould for fibreglass wings for R/C planes.

I was thinking about using silicone spray to stop the resin from sticking?

A mould could be made using plaster. There are different types of casting plaster available, yellowstone is one that I've used. I think dentists use this for making moulds to make false teeth. It's very fine, and can show fine detail.
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #12
Skooter

ON t.v I saw people using a release agent, its was like a thick white liquid. That's all I know lol.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2007, 09:27 PM   #13
bob^
LPS

When you put masking tape down on the surface you wish to glass over, spray it with a bit of tire shine to act as a cheap mold release. I keep forgetting to do that, and it makes it a bit difficult to remove off the surface.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #14
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

awesome tips guys. now, how do i go about the colour? do you paint it after your finished? is it hard to get a smooth, shiny finish