Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #61
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Why do they bag out the GT even in articles not about the GT????

I remember reading when the GT came out that it had bucketloads of torque and shat all over the 5.7L Holden (I assume that the 6.0L is just a bored out 5.7)

Also can the Modular V8 increase it's capacity anymore i think the GM V8 stretches from 4.8L to 7L
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #62
XR8Master

It dosen't need to increase its capacity, a 302 windsor can be built to be well over 300kw ..so a double overhead cam 5.4 should be able to produce bundles more it would'nt be that hard to pull 350kw..400k's from it
XR8Master is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #63
Franky
Bring back the Phase

sounds like a discussion on the american ford forums... "mine is faster than yours :P"

I don't buy wheels anymore, but in a recent addition they put 2 v8 supercar drivers and they achieved similar results to the editors and most of you still sooked about it. If you are stupid enough to believe everything you read then you don't really need your own opinon. If you hate wheels so much don't buy it, some of you sound like you buy the mag just so you can read how biased it is against Ford
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #64
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
. in my opinion the 260 is a dog , .
Just call me the UnderDog
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #65
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Just call me the UnderDog
hmmmmmmmm. perhaps its just a differant drive.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2007, 05:03 PM   #66
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
hmmmmmmmm. perhaps its just a differant drive.
All in fun, but if any one has seen my dogs there no poodles, bad *** junk yard dogs here. Last 4 dogs Dobermans.

In reality, im not into what a mag says, A few $ here and there they will boogie, and i really don't care if a xyz car will do one poofteenth faster, i have enough fun putting the humble 260 sideways under full steam. The Ford has a soul and the latest holdens don't even give me a heartbeat.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2007, 07:33 PM   #67
Chilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Hmmmmmmmmmm

I can just see it now........all of us showing each other our underwear and comparing their condition so we know which is the better / faster car..............

Your interpretation of fact and reason will no doubt leave the rest of us amused for a while to come.

Thanks for the laugh.
I remember mum used to ask if I had clean underwear on in case of an accident. I used to say "don't worry mum, if I'm in an accident I'll probably s#%t myself anyway".

Just thought I'd chuck that in for a laugh. Some of the oldies are 'goodies'.
Chilla is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2007, 08:31 PM   #68
ti0350
Starter Motor

I cant really comment on how a typhoon goes as I've never driven one, but my best mate owns a mk2 BAGT and I have driven it a few times..
While I think it's a great car and is awesome to drive I think it does lack something down low once it's going it goes unreal but I think it runs out of puff to quick...
My mate drove my SS the other week and pretty thought that it was not much different down low to his GT but he wished his GT reved like my SS..
ti0350 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #69
Muscle_Inc
GT= The Gamble,The Legend

Wouldnt you think despite which side of the fence you sit on that the VE GTS should be faster then the typhoon cause it has close to 40kw more power than the F6! Now if weight is an issue which im sure it would be, that would explain why it lacks in certain areas so lets be open minded about this cause this is a topic that affects fords v8 department as well.

For those who like to know what the boss motors go like maybe they should send pm's to boss owners and get some feedback and see what there like on the straight and twisty bits and maybe compare them to magazine claims which might give you a better perspective on how they perform on average.

Since nowadays money talks and bull**** walks (mind the language) a very good friend of mine has a ''02'' auto berlina gen3 with the current list of mods: full exhaust system, 3.9's, edit, Cai, lowered and has taken his car on the track and ran a best time of 13.2 now with better tyres and slight improving in the suspension department he would be in the 12sec bracket! Definetely BANG FOR YOUR BUCK!

Anyhow whatever magazines have to write ford/fpv have done exceptionally well, have raised the stakes to another level and hopefully we can deliver another low blow to holden with fords new model

Howard Marsden -They were at time rated supposedly as the fastest 4 door production car in the world.

Bill Bourke - Part of the GT that changed the auto industry of australia, i would say one word, exciting it added excitement to the industry.

-GTHO P3
Muscle_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2007, 10:34 AM   #70
fivepointseven
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSF6
Maybe should also read article too, it does state the Typhoon is quicker in rolling acceleration.
You will find it is generally down to the gearing of a particular car as to how well it pulls at any given speed. The F6 beats the GTS from 80-120 in 3rd, 4th and 6th by just 0.1 sec but the GTS hammers the F6 in 5th gear by 0.4 sec.
fivepointseven is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #71
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Orion F6 will have some extra go and handling which is the car for GTS to compare to.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #72
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Okay, first of all, I doubt the F6 is only making 270kW, my guess is they have between 300-320kW from the factory. The GTS weighs 1845kg vs the F6's 1805kg (slight weight advantage for the Ford).

A few months back, Wheels tested the VE Senator and they got 5.2sec to 100km/h and 0-400m in 13.4sec @ 172km/h. I wouldn't say it's super fast and I believe some people on this forum with stock Typhoon's have achieved these times...

When it comes to the GT vs the GTS, you would expect the HSV to win because it has 6 Litres of grunt while the Ford has 5.4L to play with.

Ford should seriously think about getting either the 6.2L Hurricane motor (317kW/576Nm) next or supercharging their current BOSS motors ( I prefer the latter )

The VE is an all new car while the BA is now almost 6 years old...the fact I could most likely keep up with the latest VE GTS just shows that the BOSS has a LOT of potential once modded.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #73
LiL_Macka
("(O.o)") Fear the EL!!!

Guys, why even waste your time reading the mag, its always been holden biased, they're comparing a new car with 40 or so extra KW's, with a car thats 6 or so years old, IMO its not even worth discussing it, If ford got rid of the idea that the V8 has to be the fastest, because its a V8, Aussies love V8's, and i agree, V8's are a beautiful engine, but its about time ford use the potential of their straight six, If you put the facts the other way around, just say the F6 typhoon had 290kw's and the Gt had 270, put the typhoon up against the GTS, the F6 would pull the GTS sideways, it would be like a pure *** reaming to holden, Then you think of the torque factor, F6 has 270KW/550NM of Torque, the GTS has 307KW/550NM, 290KW's would probably = something like 640NM of torque, mate there would be no contest.!!!

Meh... Who cares, lets wait for Orion then we will see how the shitty mag bags fords then, they always have, they always will.

PRESENTING THE NEW WHEELS CAR OF THE YEAR, THE VE COMMODORE, Oh wait the ford is actually better, (Holden forks out another 500 million dollars to wheels) Oh hahaa Holdens suddenly better again!

Regards Macka!
Old 10-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #74
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL_Macka
Guys, why even waste your time reading the mag, its always been holden biased, they're comparing a new car with 40 or so extra KW's, with a car thats 6 or so years old, IMO its not even worth discussing it,!
What else are they suppose to compare it with? Not the mag's fault the BF platform is 6 years old.

It's a excuse that's been bugging the crap out of me lately.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #75
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
What else are they suppose to compare it with? Not the mag's fault the BF platform is 6 years old.

It's a excuse that's been bugging the crap out of me lately.
4.5 years old I think. But point taken.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #76
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I read it at the car wash today, and frankly the sub 5 seconds is probably more akin to the stroking of an individuals ego. Wheels had the 0-100km/h for the GTS at 5.5 seconds. I read it an hour ago.
The typhoon was at 5.7 seconds.
Don't believe me? Buy the mag.
It also has all this info about Bowden and his collection of phase I, II, III and IV GT HO cars.
As for the rest of the comparo, it has more holes than Hugh Hefner.
One example is it says the typhoon has cross drilled brakes which it does, then it says that the GTS does too. Never mind the close up photo of both illustrating the GTS with slotted and the Ford with cross drilled. Then there's this ride height crap about the drivers seat. Pity they do side by side photos and the ride height is slightly lower on the Phoon. Frankly, unless it is an old classic ford then they aren't interested, and Holden will always come out on top. Just look at the wheels car park on any given day for goodness sake, and tell me which brand they endorse.

Quote: