Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #31
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise
How about they abolish school zones altogether and teach children to look before they run out onto the bloody road.
I agree - its the same with the wipe off 5 ad, where the girl steps in front of a car and gets hit. The entire add dedicates itself to showing how the driver is at fault for doing 5k's over but what about "educating" people to look before they cross a road?

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #32
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
I agree - its the same with the wipe off 5 ad, where the girl steps in front of a car and gets hit. The entire add dedicates itself to showing how the driver is at fault for doing 5k's over but what about "educating" people to look before they cross a road?
Thats my favorite add on TV worst example for wiping off five they could have found.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #33
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Primary Schools I can understand if there's a 40km/h zone, it's fair enough cause the kids are younger and don't quite understand surroundings, etc...

High Schools though, why do they need a 40km/h zone, if they haven't figured out how to cross the street properly by then, then stiff. I think it's total irresponsibility on their behalf if they can't recognise crossings to use to safely cross the road.
Old 13-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #34
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Thats my favorite add on TV worst example for wiping off five they could have found.
Yeah I know. What I'd like to see is them say "Now lets change one small thing" and instead of him saying "Wipe off 5" him say "Lets put the driver in a 1976 Datsun 200B doing 55kmh" then watch him go through the pedestrian at 50kmh (based on the typical braking prowess of a 200b). Or maybe change it to a brembo equiped Evo8 and watch it pull up 15m short of her.

Stupid, stupid ad.

As for the zones, agree with them to a point... focusing on the most profitable aspect of the school zones is typical labour policy but I'd love to see some money re-invested in education for kids. Highschool zones? They have to protect the idiots I guess... the government needs new recruits all the time.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 01:52 PM   #35
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
Yeah I know. What I'd like to see is them say "Now lets change one small thing" and instead of him saying "Wipe off 5" him say "Lets put the driver in a 1976 Datsun 200B doing 55kmh" then watch him go through the pedestrian at 50kmh (based on the typical braking prowess of a 200b). Or maybe change it to a brembo equiped Evo8 and watch it pull up 15m short of her.

Stupid, stupid ad.
Yes i'd love to remake that add in a few ways, at the end of the day the one thing that need changing is the person stepping onto the rood, as every person can do that and has the same ability, as you have said not every car has the same ability, let alone other vehicals, wiping off 5 won't help her if it's a truckie cruising home at 50km/h through a 60 Zone..She's dead..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #36
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

The change I would make is to tie it in with the new "concentrate" ads, eg show "Now if you were not concentrating and took 1 second longer to react and hit the brakes you would hit at X km/h" etc.

For the interstaters, most school zones on main roads in Vic now have flashing 40 signs when they are active. The worst zone I can think of in terms of danger is on the south side of Wallan about 30km north of metro Melbourne. You come into town on a 100km/h road and drop to an 80 zone. Very close to the commencement of the 80 zone there is a school zone. Now the standard thing is for a school zone in 80km/h or above zones to be 60km/h but this one is 40, so in the space of 200m you can change from 100km/h to 40km/h. This is on the crest of a small rise also, which does not help visibility of the signs, and there is a side road intersecting also - good luck trying to get out of there into the traffic flow!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #37
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we have 3 schools in my area (corio geelong) and they are all perm 40k zones

i think it is a great thing

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 06:25 PM   #38
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Bring back Hector the cat i say !

Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 07:38 PM   #39
YuGoStaR
Long Member

I don't see the reasoning. Is a kid hit at 40km/h going to really be any better off compared to a kid hit at 50km/h ?
And if the speed limit is over 50km/h the kids should not be playing around there in the first place.
This is a common sense issue. Don't give me the 'kids will be kids' rhetoric, it is our job to educate them, not sugar coat them.
Old 14-06-2007, 06:13 AM   #40
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am in Utah right now, and they have a pretty good way of doing it here. Large signs with flashing yellow lights, and on the sign it says something like "School Zone - Speed Limit 20mph when lights are flashing" you don't have to think about what time it is, or remember what time your meant to be going slower. I hope they change it to this way in Victoria. Requires much less thinking, and allows you to concentrate on the road. I only noticed this today.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #41
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuGoStaR
I don't see the reasoning. Is a kid hit at 40km/h going to really be any better off compared to a kid hit at 50km/h ?
And if the speed limit is over 50km/h the kids should not be playing around there in the first place.
This is a common sense issue. Don't give me the 'kids will be kids' rhetoric, it is our job to educate them, not sugar coat them.
Well they already proved that in the wipe off 5 ad, when the car was doing 5k's over it hit the girl at 30 odd k's an hour and the girl had serious head injuries. Therefore if a kid was hit at 40 they would still be in trouble I would imagine.

Best bet is to keep kids away from cars or vice versa, rather than have this inconsistent rule (a lot of school zones in SE dont have flashing lights or anything its up to the driver to know the time etc) The other problem with Vic is with the 3 k tolerance its very easy to go from 40k's to 44 k's and become a "dangerous driver"

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :

Last edited by SB076; 14-06-2007 at 08:21 AM.
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post