Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

Default Considering a liberty gt for work, opinions?

Hey guys; I will be doing a lot of KMS soon and will be looking for 2nd cars/work cars for around 30-35kmax.

I was looking at a Subaru liberty GT premium before i got my typhoon 6months ago, back then I didn’t do to many kms, so I figured I'd go the typhoon for power/size etc.
Truth is, I liked the size/interior of liberty GT and as a work car I see it to be great. My only concern is how it will stack up against what I'm now used to, the typhoon, and of course the fuel economy/insurance etc..
I am yet to drive one, i have tried twice now but dealers keep telling me they aren’t available to drive and they take my details down and say they will call me back. Weird, i'd think they would want to get me in, convince me, sell me.. how wrong I am!

Obviously in this price range I'm looking for a good condition 2nd hand GT, auto, sedan and from what I’ve seen, kms will be 50-70,000 in my price range.
What do you guys think, is the car worthwhile and ok at these kms for a work vehicle?
How will it drive compared to the f6?
How is the REALISTIC fuel consumption?
Anything else I should check out in same price/size that has decent power, reliability etc..

Sorry if I'm a little 'all over the place' but I have so many questions about the car and opinions, but don't wish to ask Subaru forums as they are so bias they gloss over everything even though I do like them..
Any comments welcome.

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Insurance might be a bit expensive being turbo, and fuel economy probably isn't that great for a 4 cylinder, but they are supposed to be fairly good to drive, not in the same performance league as the Typhoon but its good enough. Definately don't buy one until you take a test drive.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
Obviously in this price range I'm looking for a good condition 2nd hand GT, auto, sedan and from what I’ve seen, kms will be 50-70,000 in my price range.
What do you guys think, is the car worthwhile and ok at these kms for a work vehicle?
Anything else I should check out in same price/size that has decent power, reliability etc..
A good friend of mine just bought a very tidy Black 05 GT, ~$29k with similar k's. It's a bloody nice car too - not sure what wheels he has but they look great.
The k's you are looking at are pretty low for a Subaru.
Will outhandle an F6 easily. If you have Brembo's on the F6, expect to be let down by the Liberty.
Fuel consumtion in town at about 11l/100km

The squirt off the line is pretty pathetic, I wen't heads up with the Liberty in my wife's 4Motion Bora and pulled about 50 metre's off the mark every time. After 100m, it started catching pretty quickly though. It will not compare to your F6 for go.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy a Liberty 3.0R Spec B. 3L H6.

They go like s#!^ off a shovel, awesome handling, insane audio for a factory system - 13 speaker McIntosh, and they look that little bit classier than the GT with the 18's and Bilstien suspension. Insurance is cheaper than a GT, fuel economy more consistent and they are pretty much lineball as far as performance goes. Drive the 6 speed clos ratio manual! Very nice.

Only negative is that of you're a decent size, they arent the most spacious of cars. I struggle driving my mates 3.0 R-B with an adult passenger in the back seat.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
Buy a Liberty 3.0R Spec B. 3L H6.

They go like s#!^ off a shovel, awesome handling, insane audio for a factory system - 13 speaker McIntosh, and they look that little bit classier than the GT with the 18's and Bilstien suspension. Insurance is cheaper than a GT, fuel economy more consistent and they are pretty much lineball as far as performance goes. Drive the 6 speed clos ratio manual! Very nice.

Only negative is that of you're a decent size, they arent the most spacious of cars. I struggle driving my mates 3.0 R-B with an adult passenger in the back seat.
I wont be needing to carry passengers in this car, be solely 1 person 90% of the time and 2 people the rest..

I looked at the the R b spec but wasnt too sure, now having a f6 i really enjoy the way the turbo drives, the way you can ride the torque so it doesn't have to be revved to bits haha!
On a side note, I also liked the bonnet on the GT, the scoop that is, understaded car with a single scoop, appealed.

Is one (gt vs 3.0) faster than the other, noticably that is?

PS, for the kms I will be doing, manual is out of the question, otherwise i'd really consider it.
Old 13-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Fuel economy will be around 10L/100kms in combined cycle, no where near the in-gear acceleration of the Typhoon but it would be quicker off the line to the speed limit (AWD) They have great build quality/reliability and resale.

But they are a bit of a sleeper, wont stand out as much as a 'phoon if that is important to you.
Old 13-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
Fuel economy will be around 10L/100kms in combined cycle, no where near the in-gear acceleration of the Typhoon but it would be quicker off the line to the speed limit (AWD)
In my experience with them, they are a real slouch off the line.

edit - And pretty quick in gear - not F6 quick, but quick.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I wont be needing to carry passengers in this car, be solely 1 person 90% of the time and 2 people the rest..

I looked at the the R b spec but wasnt too sure, now having a f6 i really enjoy the way the turbo drives, the way you can ride the torque so it doesn't have to be revved to bits haha!
On a side note, I also liked the bonnet on the GT, the scoop that is, understaded car with a single scoop, appealed.

Is one (gt vs 3.0) faster than the other, noticably that is?

PS, for the kms I will be doing, manual is out of the question, otherwise i'd really consider it.
R spec B sits a lot nicer through the corners, and the rims are magic. Can't option them onto a GT, and they are $3900 per rim to buy later! The 3.0R-B is the nicer car to drive, the power starts in about the same range as the turbo, about 2500 rpm it just gets up and flies, but the turbo feels faster the way it comes on boost. The 6 sounds great, revs all the way to the roof, catches more people as a sleeper than the GT, but there is still something appealing about that scoop and the turbo, i'm hearing ya.

Economy on the 6 is 7.5 - 8.5L per 100km on the highway, and about 10 around town. you miss a few of the creamy bits the 3.0 R-B has on the GT, but the GT is still a fantastic car!

Buy an 04 at the oldest, and late 04. The 02 - early 04 2.5L motors suffered from moderate oil usage, i was at subaru the other day and there was an outback wagon in there that was 3000km over its 100,000km service and had seized a motor. Guy was selling it so he skipped a service saving some cash. Someone came to test drive it and took it for a flog and there was no oil in the motor and it seized while he was test driving it. Not the nicest situation to be in for both the seller and perspective buyer! Apparently they are still very tight up til about the 100,000km mark as i'm pretty sure the workshop manager said the rings are very hard and take a while to wear in.

They are so reliable and hassle free if well serviced and looked after. One of my brothers mates dad had a 2.0L WRX that did just under 400,000km on the original motor and running gear with from memory a new turbo and battery before he traded it in on a new sti. All highway miles, meticulously serviced and a turbo timer from day dot.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 08:54 PM   #9
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

I would be looking at an '04 yes, no older.

Economy on both sound good, coming from a v8 and the typhoon; so that is a win win either way to me.

Rims I do like on the r-b, but the r-b appears to only come in manual form?
Old 13-06-2007, 10:30 PM   #10
Flouro_Joe
Banned

They should be 2.5L, that's my only opinion on them
Flouro_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 10:33 PM   #11
xy351
XC 351 GXL toploader 9"

well i dont know much about them and i have never driven one but when i see a black one... it just screams class at me...!! they are nice
Old 14-06-2007, 12:28 AM   #12
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Which dealers are you going to that aren't giving you a drive?

PM me if you want, might be able to sort something out at Glen Waverley.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 12:51 AM   #13
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

Berwick and mentone/mordialloc

I'll try Berwick again 1st, they are very close to home..
Old 14-06-2007, 01:14 AM   #14
Psycho Chicken
Banned

By Berwick do you mean David Nutter or Fountain Gate next to Mazda?

Tell Fountain Gate that Glen Waverley is your local dealer and you were just looking because you're in the area. $20 they bend over backwards. Do it on a weekday. There's a youngish guy there, forget his name. Don't waste your time with him. Try talk to Grant if possible.

Failing which I'll talk to the shirts at work tomorrow and see what can be done at Glenny.
Old 14-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #15
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Liberty 3.0R Spec B. 3L H6 is a damned nice car. I went into Zupps at Southport with the idea of buying one late 2005 and took one for a test drive. It was a very impressive car ... smooth, quiet, and beautifully built, but the richard cranium salesman wouldn't even look at my trade-in "until you're ready to do a deal". After putting up with his "Acme Sales Book" technique for half an hour, I told him to GF and walked out.

So to answer your question Daniel, had I been dealing with an intelligent salesman I was that impressed I would have bought one.

PS
I cooled off buying for a while and in January 2006 I took a test drive in an F6. It's the first time in my life I returned from a test drive and said "I have to have one of these".
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #16
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Just bought a 2.0R with Satnav and auto for a good price from Mentone, no rocket but well screwed together.

I'm a 4x4 fan already!
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #17
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

They are a great car and well put together with great dynamics. I want a New GT tuned by STI look at this for a piece of machinery http://www.subaru.com.au/quicklinks/...ysti/?homepage Great family car with miles of luxury 15 speaker sound brembos 6 speed leather sunroof
Old 14-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #18
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontPom
Just bought a 2.0R with Satnav and auto for a good price from Mentone, no rocket but well screwed together.

I'm a 4x4 fan already!
what is it worth and what sort of price did you get if you dont mind me asking?

pm me if you wish
Old 14-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #19
meg

i bought a brand new 2.5L liberty for the family, it is a beautiful car to drive. i towed a caravan 7000km's to mackay and back in february with a baby in the car. it was very comfortable and only ran at 13L/100km's (with a 14ft caravan). have since driven a H6 manual liberty, oh yeah love it. the subaru is a revvy motor and when the H6 revs it flys. if your really keen on the turbo check whats about as they released a blitzen model with bilsten suspension, not sure what platform, that looks horn and also a limited run of STi's that also look awesome. overall they are a very well built car, very reliable and cumfotable and i would recommend them to anyone. i am a panelbeater and looked very hard at several options over about 2 months before i bought mine, think i made the right choice.
meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #20
meg

oh... also check auction houses (pickles) as there are lots of them as company cars that get traded with low km's in good condition.
Old 14-06-2007, 10:20 PM   #21
EF Futura 07
14.915 @ 151 KPH

they have nothing under 4000revs just like a rex.(the auto's just dont want to go anywhere, they need a 4000stally)

EL XR Front, 16 inch Tickford's, Superlow's Front/Rear with Monroe GT Sport's : , XR6T Snorkle/Fram Filter, 4499's/Hi Flow Cat/2.5 inch Redback, 4.11's/LSD, 5% Tint, Sony Head Unit/ 6 1/2 Inch 190w Speaker's
: 14.915 @ 151 kph 60' 2.254 :
EF Futura 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 11:41 PM   #22
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Ok provided you are not tall with long legs.
Old 15-06-2007, 01:03 AM   #23
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

Nah, i'm average height, altho do find I have long legs for my height..

I tried one on the dealership on for size, found it good and was able to get comfortable which was good.
Old 17-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #24
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

My oldman just sold his 02 Liberty B4 twin turbo, wicked car superb Leather interior Momo wheel gear shifter and brilliant sound system, BBS wheels not sure on suspension but it handled great. look alot better than the GT, goes well if thats what you like. Subaru went back to one bigger turbo as that works better, i couldnt fault the twin set up and you could pick up one of these for $25,000/$30,000. Oldman sold his for $27,000 with 66,000km as he just retired and bought a Nissan Navara.
Definately find a car to take for a test drive as they are a different car to drive and restrictive for room. DONT BUY an AUTO as they have less power and the performance is quite noticable my oldman was told.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #25
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Do you do your km's in the city or on the highway? If the latter I wouldn't be getting out of the Typhoon for fuel savings
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #26
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey guys; I will be doing a lot of KMS soon and will be looking for 2nd cars/work cars for around 30-35kmax.

I was looking at a Subaru liberty GT premium before i got my typhoon 6months ago, back then I didn’t do to many kms, so I figured I'd go the typhoon for power/size etc.
Truth is, I liked the size/interior of liberty GT and as a work car I see it to be great. My only concern is how it will stack up against what I'm now used to, the typhoon, and of course the fuel economy/insurance etc..
I am yet to drive one, i have tried twice now but dealers keep telling me they aren’t available to drive and they take my details down and say they will call me back. Weird, i'd think they would want to get me in, convince me, sell me.. how wrong I am!

Sorry if I'm a little 'all over the place' but I have so many questions about the car and opinions, but don't wish to ask Subaru forums as they are so bias they gloss over everything even though I do like them..
Any comments welcome.
Bear in mind that Aussie gets the watered down version of the GT so you could also consider the 3.0R which has similar power but less torque, but gets the STi 6 speed manual which is sweet.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #27
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Just as a heads-up, I believe the 3.0R with manual has a bit of a reputation as an oil user (but for some reason the 3.0R with 5-speed auto is not - ?).

Also, the manual version has a carpet longevity problem, the drivers floor carpet wears through in places (IIRC Subaru have actually agreed to replace carpets in affected cars).

Both these tidbits brought to you by my lurking around Subaru forums (I don't contribute as the car is so well sorted I don't feel the need to modify it at all).

The 3.0 is a sweet motor, a bit lacking down low but as mentioned by other posters when the revs are up it really pulls.

You ask about other options - obviously you like your performance, but if you want something versatile the Outback is great, and still drives and handles very nicely, and an aftermarket rear sway bar apparently really brings the handling together.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #28
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo
Just as a heads-up, I believe the 3.0R with manual has a bit of a reputation as an oil user (but for some reason the 3.0R with 5-speed auto is not - ?).
Auto and manual 3.0 tend to use a lot of oil during run in. Usually goes away, they had a heap of issues about 2 years ago but have fixed most of it.

Quote:
Also, the manual version has a carpet longevity problem, the drivers floor carpet wears through in places (IIRC Subaru have actually agreed to replace carpets in affected cars).
All current Liberties/Outbacks have carpet issues. Wears through in the driver's footwell next to the trans tunnel. I'm usually changing 1 or 2 a week under warranty.

Personally I'd go the 3.0R manual over the GT, but I'd take an STi GT over the 3.0.
Old 18-06-2007, 11:07 PM   #29
Mondie
Firm member

l bought a MY06 Liberty GT STi new and owned it for about a year. Not a bad car but the lag gave me the shits after a while and the engine note was very insipid, just found it pretty uninspiring after a while. The quality of the car was great and l had zero issues over the time l owned it. Fuel economy was amazing, as low as 7.5lt/100 on a trip and always below 10/100 in 50/50 city/country driving. The brakes were a little lacking however. l would not buy another GT but would consider the 3.0, not as grunty as the GT but much more linear in delivery.

Cheers
Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #30
meg

Watch the earlier motors with the dohc set-up they are known to do head gaskets, subaru dropped back to sohc in later models to rectify this. carpet being replaced under warranty i have also heard rumours but mine is fine, however i run the big rubber floor mats from the start, easy to just shake clean!