Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-06-2007, 09:02 AM   #31
iwannaford

Is there much work involved in installing a DINDIN headunit?
iwannaford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 10:05 PM   #32
Umineko
Karasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
The prices vary a lot it's hard to pick one as they all have pros & cons. I’ve seen ones I like from under a grand to closer to 3.
I like the idea of the Pioneer one as I'd miss not having an indash stacker, a lot of the stores claim it's unnecessary as they all play MP3s & have USBs, aux inputs etc but I couldn’t be bothered mucking around with all that, I have the CDs I might as well play them. I’ve seen it for around $1300 which is about average you can get ones on fleabay from HK for half that but it's a bit of a risk.
I have the pioneer unit and swear by it, it will also play mp3s and all that so you can jam a hell of a lot of music into it over 6 disks, yes there is the aerial issue but as I seldom use the radio I just put a simple isolator switch into the aerial control wire so it stays down when I don't want it
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #33
Umineko
Karasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
I think they are confused with the AU (series I). There is no problem at all with AUII and AUIII which are identical.

The later double-DIN units will not fit into a Series I car without modifications - but the mod is quite minor and does not have any bearing on the structural integrity of the car - just a small portion of a dash support has to be cut/filed to give the necessary 3mm extra space that is needed to fit the double-DIN unit in.

Huh??? I have a series 1 and fitted the double din pioneer HU he's talking about with no mods to the dash at all
Old 28-06-2007, 10:20 PM   #34
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

My double din unit runs the aerial and everything and had 3 pairs of rca preouts and can run 2 other tv screens. Its capable of watching tv on one screen a dvd on the other and sat nav on the screen in the dash. all at the same time. If you shop around you can get a good one for a reasonable price. I will get some model numbers from mine so you can look it up.

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 10:23 PM   #35
Umineko
Karasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
The prices vary a lot it's hard to pick one as they all have pros & cons. I’ve seen ones I like from under a grand to closer to 3.
I like the idea of the Pioneer one as I'd miss not having an indash stacker, a lot of the stores claim it's unnecessary as they all play MP3s & have USBs, aux inputs etc but I couldn’t be bothered mucking around with all that, I have the CDs I might as well play them. I’ve seen it for around $1300 which is about average you can get ones on fleabay from HK for half that but it's a bit of a risk.
I posted up pics of my pioneer HU a while ago in this thread the only real issue is the dash curvature which I got around by making a frame to go around the HU to blend it in, Mine is a series 1 but the dash contours in this area are much the same

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=97666
Old 28-06-2007, 10:30 PM   #36
MRJUCY
Fordless

That's a neat setup you've made, would look great in the "raindrops" pattern in my TE, I've actually decided on a single for now but I'd like to go a screen at some stage down the track still.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 12:12 PM   #37
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umineko
Huh??? I have a series 1 and fitted the double din pioneer HU he's talking about with no mods to the dash at all
I was referring to the Ford factory units - aftermarket HUs would all vary in size so depending on the particular unit some may fit and some may not. The fact remains that there is less depth behind the fascia in Series I cars than there is for Series II and III.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #38
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not only that but the dashes are different in the povo packs compared to the lanes
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 11:54 AM   #39
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glade I didn't have the cash for this now, seller has been left negative feedback as he has not contacted the buyer.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=230145006868
Old 03-07-2007, 02:18 PM   #40
jones_aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
Glade I didn't have the cash for this now, seller has been left negative feedback as he has not contacted the buyer.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=230145006868
told you so.......
jones_aus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 07:58 AM   #41
Rebel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm looking at changing mine too! I have an AUII with Premium Sound. Does the factory sub run off the head unit (ie: will the replacement require a seperate sub output), or is sub powered from the rear speakers?
2008 FG GT 315 EGO #460

1968 Falcon Sports Coupe **2012 PCOTY winner**
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11325000

1990 XF Falcon Panelvan
Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #42
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a how to around here somewhere on replacing the headunit and keeping all speakers working for cars with premium sound. If it was me I'd just replace the lot anyway.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #43
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
If it was me I'd just replace the lot anyway.
Yeah, I used to be one of those guys who wasn't really concerned about car stereo sound quality.

When I got my Ghia I was quite impressed with Premium sound... then I got a lift somewhere with my daughter's boyfriend. He has all bells and whistles sound in his car and I can tell you, Premium sound is ordinary in comparison.

So, I bought a decent head unit, a 4GB mp3 player (ipod type thing), front splits, 12" subby, a couple of amps, wiring etc, fitted it all up and it does make a substantial difference to our driving pleasure - particularly on long trips.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #44
Rebel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats fine if I wanted to spend $2k plus. The quality of the Premium Sound IMO is excellent for me. My only issue I have is the CD player is playing up and it cant handle MP3's. I would be happy if I could have a quality auxiliary input fitted, than I would just plug in a MP3 player!
2008 FG GT 315 EGO #460

1968 Falcon Sports Coupe **2012 PCOTY winner**
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11325000

1990 XF Falcon Panelvan
Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #45
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This may be worth a look then.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=53838
Old 04-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #46
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel
Thats fine if I wanted to spend $2k plus.
Yeah well, Im cheap ;) Ended up costing me somewhere around $900 (ebay, forums, classifieds)

Quote:
The quality of the Premium Sound IMO is excellent for me.
Don't have a listen to an upmarket system then, lol. I was the same as you but for me the big mistake was coming across a system that highlighted what I was missing.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #47
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The more you spend the better quality the sound will be, but thats not always a good thing. I've got some cds which are of a poor recording quality, and with the factory system it sounded fine, now you can hear all those little imperfections.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:43 PM   #48
ronwest

Quote:
The more you spend the better quality the sound will be, but thats not always a good thing. I've got some cds which are of a poor recording quality, and with the factory system it sounded fine, now you can hear all those little imperfections.
Yes, that's true.

But on the flip side I've heard stuff (extra little guitar bits or voices in the background etc) that I've previously not heard on stuff I've been listening to for 40+ years.

It's all down to personal choice and finances. My stuff was worth around 4-5 grand when it was new. Would I pay 4+ grand for better than Premium sound? No way!

If you're not desperate and are prepared to hunt for what you want it's not difficult or over the top expensive to upgrade to something that makes the effort worthwhile.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:33 PM   #49
Umineko
Karasu

Quote:
I'm looking at changing mine too! I have an AUII with Premium Sound. Does the factory sub run off the head unit (ie: will the replacement require a seperate sub output), or is sub powered from the rear speakers?
Sub on the premium sound is powered via a splitter built into the amp IE no seperate cables for the sub just the pair for the rear speakers. so no you won't require a seperate sub output unless you want to put in a different amp
Old 04-07-2007, 10:40 PM   #50
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

im not 100 % sure how the premium sound runs in the AU's but i know in the E series they ran an amp on the drivers side in the boot which ran your speakers and the sub. If you run a different head unit you may just have to run a set of rca leads for the amp as ford usually have there own special cables which wont plug into anything aftermarket.

And when it comes to premium sound in the AU's it is a substantial difference to the standard but as stated above it is no comparison to a decent set of front splits and a nice amp running a sub. All up my stereo was over 5000 new it's alot of mone but i would spend it all again as you cant beat the sound quality

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL