Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-07-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Is 32 cents per litre more worth it?

Well, I finally bit the bullet and tried the Vpower 100 octane fuel... Thinking it was still 17 cents more than unleaded, I got a rude shock when I realised after filling 3/4 tank that it was 32 CENTS MORE!!!! WOW!!

So after abusing myself for not looking at the price and feeling very sick after paying $97 odd dollars for a full tank of fuel, I drove home...

After driving the car over the weekend, I've noticed a few things... I was having an issue with idle with the rev's dropping and the car stalling... this is GONE... The car would feel like it was leaning out as I reved it to the rev limiter... GONE... Running the AC, I have no more cut outs and idle issues... Car feels great... Best its felt for a long time...

Now my issue... Do you think paying 32 cents more per litre is worth these few comforts or should I get my car tuned again to better run on the 98 stuff (that is only 10 cents more per litre!!)

I also cant understand the pricing!! It used to be 17 cents now 32?! and its 5% etho!!?? WTF?!

kypez is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
anakha

At that price difference you'd be up for at least $9-10 a tank. Not what I'd want to pay extra for if it were using the car as a daily driver.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
Badcooky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep my car loves the higher octane fuel,but yeah it's dear as poison.
I use 98 and can justify it but 100 at that much dearer......well i'll have to try it.
Badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Geez i couldnt justify that.

I figure if the car cant run comfortably on 98, then there must be an issue. Besides at that price i figure its cheaper to buy 95 and add octane booster.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
Badcooky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah it was great when you could buy a 20lt drum of toluene for 20 bucks.
Old 16-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah saw this today. I thought 10-12cents more for 98 and 20cents for the V Racing is acceptable but 30cents is just a joke.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #7
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
After driving the car over the weekend, I've noticed a few things... I was having an issue with idle with the rev's dropping and the car stalling... this is GONE... The car would feel like it was leaning out as I reved it to the rev limiter... GONE... Running the AC, I have no more cut outs and idle issues... Car feels great... Best its felt for a long time...
I had exactly the same problem with my BA XR8. Firmware update solved the stalling, would stall intermittently at lights and would almost always stall coming into my driveway (to the point I could pop it because I was still actually moving) certainly cheaper than paying 32c/litre more for standard which is what I fill it with. Have a word to your local Ford dealer about that problem.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
MRJUCY
Fordless

My car loves the stuff but it annoys me you have to go right up to the pump to see what price it is I've seen it for a similar jump to you paid but I've also seen it for only a couple of cents more then 98.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

yeah... gonna look into why its running so much better with the higher octane... I dont think I can afford to run it on the 100 octane!!

sigh... I remember thinking twice when optimax was 5 cents per litre more at 73 cent to regular...
kypez is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 07:52 PM   #10
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
So after abusing myself
Isnt that illegal to do at a petrol station ?? infact illegal to do in public fullstop ? : : :
Old 16-07-2007, 08:52 PM   #11
meg

isn't adding ethanol supposed to make the fuel cheaper? isn't that why it was added by bodgy servo's not that long ago? now they find out it maks you car go better and charge you a fortune for it! WTF?
meg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #12
Badcooky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It runs better because the ECU can advance up the ignition timing without pinging as well as a few other parameters,it just runs stronger basically.
Old 17-07-2007, 12:00 AM   #13
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

It aint cheap because it is a "performance" blend not an "economy" blend.
There are apparently other more expensive additives in the fuel that justify the price :

From the SHELL website :

Shell V-Power Racing contains Shell’s unique Friction Modification Technology (FMT) designed to help engines turn more freely and improve performance.
Shell V-Power Racing has an octane rating of 100 RON and is formulated with 5% ethanol. It is designed to provide more power and improved responsiveness in many modern and high performance cars.
Shell V-Power Racing contains a powerful cleaning formula designed to improve engine responsiveness by removing power-robbing deposits, helping the fuel to burn more effectively

But being the cynic that I am.............Its also interesting to note that this is the only fuel available with the 100 Octane rating...........so technically SHELL have a Monopoly on the market with this fuel..........and as with all Capitalist philosophies regarding Monopolies..........YOU CHARGE WHAT YOU WANT.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 12:32 AM   #14
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I wonder if a higher (than 91) octane fuel would be good for the cleveland?
Because i have always just ran it on normal unleaded but i dont want it to screw something up and have to drain it out...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 01:32 AM   #15
ti0350
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
I wonder if a higher (than 91) octane fuel would be good for the cleveland?
Because i have always just ran it on normal unleaded but i dont want it to screw something up and have to drain it out...
My mate runs his XY (302 clevo stroked out to 351) on nothing but 98 he says it runs so much better then any other fuel..
ti0350 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post