Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Speed-limited bus booked - Nice one Bracksey

You know there is a problem when a speed-limited bus gets booked for speeding...

Quote:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...4-2862,00.html

POLICE blame human error, not the state's fixed speed cameras, for a fine wrongly issued to a bus driver on the Hume Highway near Melbourne.

The driver from Seymour Coaches, at Seymour, in central Victoria, was issued with the $250 fine after Victoria Police alleged he was detected doing 123km/h in a 110km/h zone on the Hume Freeway at Craigieburn, north of Melbourne, in April.

Buses are restricted to 100km/h on Victoria's roads, even in 110km/h zones.

Two years ago, 100 drivers were wrongly booked for speeding at Somerton, in Melbourne's north, because of an incorrectly set camera.

And in 2003, all fixed speed cameras on the Western Ring Road, CityLink tunnels and Monash Freeway were tested and fines suspended after readings on three units were deemed to be questionable.

Seymour Coaches managing director Peter Louchnan said it was not possible for the bus to do 123km/h because it was fitted with a speed limiter.

"The vehicle is speed limited to 100km/h from the factory," Mr Louchnan told Southern Cross Broadcasting.

"Once it hits that 100km/h on the speedometer the accelerator is flat (on the floor), it won't do any more."

Mr Louchnan said the speed limiter had not been tampered with and was regularly checked by government inspectors, the last time at Christmas.

But Victoria Police said today human error was to blame, and not a fault with the camera.

"It is not a technical systems fault, it is an error in human verification," Superintendent Shane Patton said.

"My staff member here hasn't done their job properly, hasn't checked the images properly."

"It's totally unacceptable what has occurred."

Supt Patton said the bus had been photographed at four fixed speed camera check points on the freeway.

He said the error occurred because another bus from Seymour Coaches with a similar number plate was travelling in the same direction on that stretch of the freeway at the same time.

"On this occasion what has happened is that there are two different vehicles with virtually identical number plates from the same company.

"That should have been picked up by the verifier."

Victoria Police has now withdrawn the fine.

Seymour coaches said it was satisfied with the outcome, but the bus driver "Warren" said he had no faith in the speed camera system.

"There are lots of number plates out there that are similar," Warren said.

"What's going to happen? Are these people going to get booked and have to resort to taking it to court before something is done about it."
Of course, the explanation would have to be,

Quote:
virtually identical number plates
Only in Victoria.... :

dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
Of course, the explanation would have to be,
Only in Victoria.... :
I have faught and won 3 seperate cases of " Similar plates ", always request a photo
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The bigger problem is if it was average Joe in his Falcon or whatever he wouldn't have a leg to stand on and would have had to cope it sweet even if he didn't do it.

If this wasn't a bus that was speed limited, the chances are it would have never been fought out.

I love it, the way the system works, a member of the public makes a mistake Tough cookies, Government makes a mistake and is court out, Oh sorry it happens.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

I was one of the (un)fortunate few to get my money back in 2003.

god they are dodgy
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
bob^
LPS

I was overtaken by a bus a couple of years ago that had "speed limited 100" on the back of it. I was doing over 100km/h when it passed...
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
Kommandant
ED4LYFE

Trucks and buses all have those signs, they do a lot more then 100km/hr
Old 20-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
andrewts
White Car Driver

I was on a coach last year for school camp, and it didn't have a speed limiter. All it did was beep continuously until the driver slowed back down.
Old 20-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
The bigger problem is if it was average Joe in his Falcon or whatever he wouldn't have a leg to stand on and would have had to cope it sweet even if he didn't do it.

If this wasn't a bus that was speed limited, the chances are it would have never been fought out.

I love it, the way the system works, a member of the public makes a mistake Tough cookies, Government makes a mistake and is court out, Oh sorry it happens.

Exactly right
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2007, 07:14 PM   #9
chief
FTF Club Moderator

The speed limiters are not faultless. You can tamper with them. On a old Volvo FH12 truck you could disconnect 3 wires and that would stop limiter being effective.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2007, 08:20 PM   #10
Matty4
Banana

The "funny" thing is, it was a point to point camera that clocked him with an average of 123km/h, as if.....