Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Question AU seat.. is this idea possible

Hi all
Just a quick question re AU seats. I noticed the other day how low the front of the passenger seat is. My legs have no support.
No the drivers side can be raised at the front.
So my question is is there a AU seat that has the same function for the front passenger? and if no is it possible to replace it with another drivers seat instead ( the controls of course would be 'back to front')

Uncle Ken :

How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I reckon replacing it with the driver's mechanisms may not be possible. I've got a donor Fairlane in storage, so next time I'm there I'll check the passenger seat for adjustability.

I know what you mean about the passenger seat being uncomfortable due to this problem. I was actually thinking about getting it raised slightly, but I don't know what the legal implications would be, so I've left it alone.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Uncle_Ken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
I reckon replacing it with the driver's mechanisms may not be possible. I've got a donor Fairlane in storage, so next time I'm there I'll check the passenger seat for adjustability.

I know what you mean about the passenger seat being uncomfortable due to this problem. I was actually thinking about getting it raised slightly, but I don't know what the legal implications would be, so I've left it alone.
Very good point and also form a safety aspect. I don't wnat to bush mechanic the seat. Not good if you have a prang
Thanks for looking at the Fairlane
Uncle Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 04-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The brackets are symmetrical as far as I can tell, so dirvers side seat should fit on passenger side.

Nut what I want to know, is why are you in the passenger seat at all? Broken leg? Too much to drink? If the former, then comfort would be a factor, if the latter, just have another drink and you won't notice the comfort thing. LOL.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
Uncle_Ken

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
The brackets are symmetrical as far as I can tell, so drivers side seat should fit on passenger side.

To quote 1
Thats what I was hoping

Nut what I want to know, is why are you in the passenger seat at all? Broken leg? Too much to drink? If the former, then comfort would be a factor, if the latter, just have another drink and you won't notice the comfort thing. LOL.
To quote 2

My 6ft 16 year old was complaining about the ride. So I sat in the seat for a while and bugger he was right. Do you think I could 'raise the height' JC without having to buy another seat?

UK
Old 04-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
LUXO_8
windsor user

i know it might be a pricey measure, but you could buy some fairlane/ltd front seats (should be cheaper if the leather is worn / damaged) and fit the electric adjustable bases.... then you'd have the same (much better) adjustment on both seats.

from my experiences you wouldnt be able to fit the knob style height adjusters.....they're welded into the seat base and the seats are designed around them...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #7
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
i know it might be a pricey measure, but you could buy some fairlane/ltd front seats (should be cheaper if the leather is worn / damaged) and fit the electric adjustable bases.... then you'd have the same (much better) adjustment on both seats.

from my experiences you wouldnt be able to fit the knob style height adjusters.....they're welded into the seat base and the seats are designed around them...
What about the wiring for the seats?
UK
Old 04-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #8
LUXO_8
windsor user

all you need to do is supply 12v and earth to the seats, everything else is in the bases.

ive done it to my NC Fairlane (fitted LTD bases to my EB Fairmont Ghia sports seats )
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 07:33 PM   #9
Uncle_Ken

Do you think there is a 'spare' 12v power lead under the center console?

UK
Old 04-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #10
Sledgehammer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
Do you think there is a 'spare' 12v power lead under the center console?

UK
Should be a 12v power under centre console for phone conections
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #11
Uncle_Ken

How much for electric adjustable bases guys (and gals)
UK
Old 05-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #12
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Cheapest way out is to repack the cushion, take pan (seat base that you sit on) off the mounts by undoing 4 bolts from under the seat, (or remove entire seat if you like) remove material seat cover by flipping the plastic edge pieces over the steel pan and cutting a few wire fencing clips that attach to wire in the centre of the cushion, then just cut some foam to pack it however you like, glue on with spray on contact and reassemble, don't forget to put the fencing clips back on

I repack mine all the time in the taxis, they get a lot of fatso's sitting on them and just squash flat. I use harder type foam for durability but you can use softer foam for comfort
You could also buy an entire new foam cushion from Ford, more $$ but
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #13
Uncle_Ken

Would there be a problem in trying to raise the height by adding more foam to the seat?
UK
Old 07-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #14
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

The only one I can think of is if you stuff too much foam in the seat cover might not go back on properly or tear
It doesn't take much foam to make a lot of difference in feeling
I generally use those 10mm thick camping type roll up matteresses as the foam is nice and firm

It's pretty easy to do and cheap too.

You can customise it to suit your own backside as well not what Ford thinks it should be.

You can also do the seat back and lumbar support the same way
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2007, 04:50 PM   #15
blacklabel

The other problem you will have by replacing your passenger seat with another drivers seat,is that you may not be able to get your hands between the console sides and the right side of seat to adjust height/angle/pitch etc...as all the controls would be on the right side.
blacklabel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
How much for electric adjustable bases guys (and gals)
UK
Narellan Parts Plus had them .... I was looking into it ... but couldn't use them in the ute as they don't have a quick backrest release.

But they had slightly worn seats ... still looked awesome ... passenger side had a pin puncture in it (barely visible) ... and they only wanted $300 for the pair.

These were AU LTD power seats as well. A bargain I reckon.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post