Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
bigsteve79

Default boss 302 what do we think ?

For the past few years, one engine has garnered more attention than any other: Chrysler's Hemi. Between garish badging and a sublimely ridiculous TV advertising campaign, 'Hemi' has become synonymous with large displacement, American power. Ford wants a piece of that branding action too and has re-introduced the Boss 302 V8.

Originally called the Hurricane, the newly developed V8 underwent a name change to distance itself from a certain disaster off the Gulf Coast. The project was originally shelved in 2005, but Mark Fields decided that the development costs were necessary to compete in a market rife with clever branding strategies.

The 5-liter V8 will make anywhere between 340 and 500 HP, with the base block costing about $1,800 and a fully built unit running between $5k and $10k.

Although the engine is only available in crate form now, the new Boss will find a home under the hood of the 2008 F150, the Shelby GT, a 40th anniversary version of the pony car in 2009, the Boss Mustang, due the same year, and a few other special edition vehicles over the next three years.

More information and live pics are on their way. As always, stay tuned.

[Source: Ford, BlueOvalNews and the Detroit News]

bigsteve79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
bigsteve79

So there we have it
I’m thinking of dumping this engine into my xw but I need to know if it will be over head cam or not
Old 27-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
bigsteve79

Ford Racing Performance Parts Unveils All-New 'Boss 302' V-8s at SEMA

Ford Racing rocked the Ford performance world at the SEMA show in Las Vegas this month with the unveiling of crate engines based on an all-new BOSS 302 block. Not a recast of the original Boss 302 engine from the 1960s that employed Cleveland style heads, these new BOSS 302 V-8 crate engines are derived from an all-new high-strength casting that utilizes modern Windsor style aluminum heads.

The new Ford Racing BOSS crate engines feature a variety of performance and packaging choices, from 302 cubic inches of displacement all the way up to 363 cid, and horsepower ranges from 340 to a whopping 500 horses. The entry level engine package features the Ford Racing "X"-heads to retain stock exhaust locations, with performance rated at 340-345hp. Higher performance versions include Ford Racing's "Z"-head equipped 302cid and 347cid engines rated at 360-450hp. The BOSS engine series is capped by a 500-horsepower 331cid engine that showcases the capability of the new block by breathing through all-new ported Z-heads.

Cast in the same facility as Ford's 6.0-liter diesel engine block, the new BOSS blocks sport classic Boss 302 features such as four-bolt main caps and screw-in freeze plugs. But several technological improvements – like splayed main bolts, machined nodular-iron caps, siamese bores with engineered cross-drilling, front cross-over lifter oiling, and a diesel-grade, 41,000-psi tensile-strength block casting – help to separate the new BOSS 302 from its predecessor as well any aftermarket 302-cid block manufacturers.

"The original Boss 302 was born of race-bred performance and winning on the racetrack, and we took those parameters into account during the design of the new BOSS 302 block," said Jamie Allison, Manager, Ford Racing Performance Parts. "Enthusiasts are making 500-horsepower street cars but factory blocks are not holding up. Race-specific blocks offer the strength required for such applications, but generally don't cool well enough for street use and are very expensive for the average enthusiast. The new BOSS 302 block features greater strength than most race blocks, a street-capable cooling design, as well as affordable pricing. High-volume production leads to the kind of improved quality and durability you'd expect from any production engine."

The new BOSS 302 was showcased by four premier car builders whose cars were featured in the Ford booth for SEMA 2006. Award-winning hot rod creator Dan Webb packed a new 390hp BOSS crate engine in his 1933 Ford 3-Window coupe. Galpin Ford, known for their "Galpinized" custom creations, served up a "retro-mod" 2007 Mustang with a 360hp BOSS engine. Contemporary car stylist Chip Foose created the new "Powered by Ford BOSS 302" from a 1970 Mustang for the TV show Overhaulin' and gave it its public reveal at SEMA. Lastly, the "SEMA Deuce" by Hotrods and Horsepower, complete with a new 360hp BOSS crate engine, was named the commemorative vehicle for the 2006 SEMA show. Not only did all four builders choose a BOSS 302cid engine for their cars to stay true to the original's namesake, but all four also painted their engines Dark Ford Blue, just like the original Boss 302 powerplant.

Like the original Boss 302 engineered for Trans Am racing, the new BOSS 302 offers "trickle-down" performance features garnered from racing in the ASA (American Speed Association) Late Model circle-track series. A sealed circle-track version of a 347cid BOSS engine will be available both for ASA and NASCAR circle-track racers in time for the 2007 season.

"Whether racing in a sealed-engine class, building an all-out drag-racing engine or looking for a street performer, the all-new BOSS block and engine family meets the needs of all Ford 302 enthusiasts at a price that is comparable to performance-prepped stock 302s," Allison noted.

Suggested retail price for the new BOSS 302 block is $1,759. Complete BOSS engines start at $4,650, with the top-end 500-horse BOSS 331-cid version expected to carry an $10,000 price tag. The new BOSS 302 replaces the B50 Sportsman and R302 Ford Racing blocks and engines built from those blocks. The cost of the new BOSS 302 is comparable to a competition-prepped Sportsman block with a main stud girdle but offers far greater capabilities. The BOSS 302 is also superior to the R302 race block due to its enhanced cooling passages and front oil crossover, plus it is far less expensive than a comparably machined R302 race block. Ford Racing Performance Parts engines are sold with a 12 -month/12,000 mile limited warranty.
Old 27-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
bigsteve79

http://www.fordracingparts.com/jumppages/boss.asp
Old 27-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

arent we refering to 2 different types of motors here???

this 5 litre boss is old school pushrods and designed for windsor heads by the sound of it.

the boss (hurricane) is a big displacement engine from 5.8-7 litres displacement with OHC

ford should come up with some new engine names
brodfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #6
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought the hurricane was a bigger engine as well...

The new 302 looks pretty good thought.. Might think about buying a crate for a twin turbo project.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Looks like a very nice engine,but it shouldnt be called a BOSS...
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 03:00 PM   #8
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

The point of the whole exercise is to cash in on the Boss nametag, you dummies : )

I think it's great that the Boss is back. Now, how about the Cobrajet?
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #9
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodfloyd
arent we refering to 2 different types of motors here???

this 5 litre boss is old school pushrods and designed for windsor heads by the sound of it.

the boss (hurricane) is a big displacement engine from 5.8-7 litres displacement with OHC

ford should come up with some new engine names
Yep, it will be 6.2 litre and as it's pushrod and made in Cleveland it vote it's called the Cleveland Mk2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #10
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Very confusing, someone from head office should have a chat to FRPP. Or Ford could change the name of the upcoming Hurricane/Boss again.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #11
bigsteve79

I’m looking for a standard ford v8 with efi for my xw I understand that f’ies of the 90’s had a efi 351 but I would prefer a overhead cam any one got any suggestions ?
Old 03-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #12
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

To fit an OHC Ford V8 to your XW you will need the RRS (Revelation Racing Supplies) shock tower mod - which IIRC means you'll also need their front suspension strut installation mod too... big bucks.

You'll end up spending double what it would cost to fit a '90s EFI 302W (they did not make 351s, except maybe for some of the F-series trucks).
1969 Kombi
Old 03-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #13
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Its Fords version of stronger aftermarket block!! It has nothing to do with the old Boss...It does have screw in wealsh plugs etc...
Similar to Dart or World blocks....The new R302w....
http://www.fordracingparts.com/where...gion.asp?id=40
The block..
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9085
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4

Last edited by ebxr8240; 03-08-2007 at 08:18 PM.
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 12:59 PM   #14
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much are these block's worth???

I think the Aussie dollar is going well at the moment so maybe a good time to buy
mickyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #15
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

$1800 U.s
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #16
bigsteve79

Thanks heaps for the feedback guys so many options I’d like to stick to the 351 just because I can but I’ve done some research and as far as I can tell the only 351 efi I could find is out of 91 to 93 f trucks but the hp they are clamming is a pitiful 195 hp can this be right really at that rate id be better of just getting a 302 out of a 90’s falcon (thanks Squalo) any one have any ideas ?
Old 08-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #17
bigsteve79

Also while you guys there will my old single rail be able to handle the power of a v8 ? I know everyone says auto v8 is the only way to go but I just love the manual
Old 09-08-2007, 12:59 PM   #18
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

I believe you can bolt the single rail up to the late model 302W, but do some homework to be sure.

The 351EFI in the trucks was neutered, you can get more power out of it but the injected 302W is probably the go (more go-fast bits available for it in EFI guise).
1969 Kombi
Old 09-08-2007, 01:06 PM   #19
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo
I believe you can bolt the single rail up to the late model 302W, but do some homework to be sure.

The 351EFI in the trucks was neutered, you can get more power out of it but the injected 302W is probably the go (more go-fast bits available for it in EFI guise).
why would anyone in their right mind bolt up a single rail up to a late model 302W :
futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #20
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteve79
Thanks heaps for the feedback guys so many options I’d like to stick to the 351 just because I can but I’ve done some research and as far as I can tell the only 351 efi I could find is out of 91 to 93 f trucks but the hp they are clamming is a pitiful 195 hp can this be right really at that rate id be better of just getting a 302 out of a 90’s falcon (thanks Squalo) any one have any ideas ?
Look into the Saleen S351 Mustangs of th mid 90's. I have no idea on what internals they ran and I believe they were supercharged but it would be a starting point for research on performance efi 351s.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #21
bigsteve79

sorry futura but why whouldnt you use a single rail what would be better? little help
Old 09-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #22
bigsteve79

Defiantly squalo the 302 sounds like the much cheaper way to go for sure but then you lose the 351 badge lol
I have hared the 5sp ford box’s cant take to much power is this a tru
Toast dude a mustang would be kick *** but that sounds like a lot of money

Thanks guys this is invaluable information
Old 09-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #23
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

bigsteve79, I wasn't telling you to buy the Mustang just research it as they used efi 351 Windsors lol.

But I have to agree, a supercharged 351 powered late model Mustang would be one hell of a ride.

Why dont you try a stroked efi 302? There's a few guys on here that have them in their E series and AUs.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post