Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2007, 04:13 AM   #91
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
The traction control is what kicks in. No real problem, just turn it off.

Peaky cars like Civic Type R's are a to drive in the city, a grunty hatchback like the XR5 is an absolute pleasure to drive, it'll cope with anyhting including passengers and doesn't need to be flogged. It's my favourite car to drive daily the XR5. Like a small Falcon, high torque, great sound, smooth and refined, an awesome daily cruiser that whe opened up is not far off an XR6 turbo for straightline to be honest.

And for the 130i, you're not wrong there regarding performance, love to fang one, although packaging-wise it'd be a pain in the bum to live with, best suited to a 2 seater as the rear seat is shocking.

Front wheel drive knockers will forever rattle off about torque steer, european indicators or the "dangers" of not being able to drift in the wet. Really what it all boils down to is a lack of people who've actually stepped out of their EA 3spd and into a modern tail-happy front wheel driver that's properly setup (like a Focus or a Mazda 3) and the lack of people who actually know what the hell they're talking about! Most sporty 1200kg 2.0L front drivers will run rings around cars twice their size and will happily show a 6 cylinder a thing or two in a straight line whilst using less fuel. People just need to get off the horse and try them for a change. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Then you'll know what all of us small car guys and girls have been banging on about for years!

I laugh when I see $3k shitboxes with $6k worth of subs, rims and bodykits being flogged with two sicko looking blokes (if you can call them that) reclined past the rear windows in the car, thinking their VS Executive V6 with HSV kit is the ducks nuts while a modern, safe, efficient and classy looking Euro hatch obliterates them through a round-about, probably cost the same in total as the bling barge did and will be a hell of a lot more reliable. It'll smoke them off the lights, outhandle it with a flat tyre and still pass roadworthy with nothing more than the signature on a sheet of paper. As for the left indicators, I drive a manual with left hand indicators and apart from wrapping myself around telegraph poles daily and losing control every time I turn a corner... It's a no brainer. Again - try it before you knock it, it seriously has so little impact on anything that it's not even worth thinking about.
Have sold our XR5, but an awesome daily driver/tourer/ Sunday fun box only lacked cruise but would so effortlessly cruise that it mattered not. Having owned high revving lowish torqued small cars before I was amazed at the large car feel of the Focus and interior room - size of old Mondeo or Telstar inside. Ultimately not super quick but smooth effortless and chuckable all day long. Different car to our Terri Turbo yet similar in the ways that make the TTG such a joy to live with.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 08:17 AM   #92
Deanodriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Too slow! It runs over 7 to 100 and 15's down the quarter - personally can't see how anyone can get excited over that (an XT Taxi runs similar times). Looks great though I will admit.

Chuck the Mazda 3 MPS engine in and then your talking...
Perhaps, but a stock XT taxi handles nowhere near as well. It's not all about straight line. Plus, I do believe it's under 7 seconds.

Also, the 3 MPS engine is a bit too powerful for FWD, IMO. They already have to limit it in the first two gears. We'll see whether Ford does develop an AWD RS Focus, though.
Old 26-07-2007, 12:09 AM   #93
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanodriver
Perhaps, but a stock XT taxi handles nowhere near as well. It's not all about straight line. Plus, I do believe it's under 7 seconds.

Also, the 3 MPS engine is a bit too powerful for FWD, IMO. They already have to limit it in the first two gears. We'll see whether Ford does develop an AWD RS Focus, though.
7.5 seconds according to magazine tests. They are quite difficult to launch. I'm sure it has the potential to run a 7.0 though.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #94
Deanodriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3
7.5 seconds according to magazine tests. They are quite difficult to launch. I'm sure it has the potential to run a 7.0 though.
I have read 6.8 as a 0-100 time.

http://www.alle-autos-in.de/ford/for...t_a14269.shtml

That says 6.8 seconds for 0-100 (site is in German).
Old 26-07-2007, 10:44 PM   #95
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:

Cmon mate leave the "it handles better" line at home.

I really hate hearing from ricer friends that "you car might be faster but mine handles better" or "it doesn't matter how big the engine is".

This isn't 1982 and not a tank XE with no power steering and basic rear suspension new large cars like the BF and VE handle very impressively considering their size.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 10:50 PM   #96
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
"...considering their size".
Nobody's bagging how a BF or VE handles... but you can't argue with physics just like you can't argue with engine size/power. Simply put, most small cars will have a huge advantage due to weight.
Old 27-07-2007, 02:06 AM   #97
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
First small Ford Car in since 1994. Toyota was building Corolla's until 2000.

Its bloody fantastic and it will get all those anti-ford naysayers. Australia can adapt to change and hopefully this should absolutely blindside Holden.

Krap Korean Kar ie Viva vs Australian Made, Euro Inspired Focus.
Were we forgetting about the high standards of the European Astra they are still selling, and due to popularity will keep on selling.

I have a feeling Holden might have something up their sleeve for around the same period, won't be that small, but it will be RWD and slightly smaller than a commodore!

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 02:07 PM   #98
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
And here too

http://www.caradvice.com.au/4059/for...-on-australia/

..Good to see! Looks like The guys at the Geelong plant will have a job after all Chew on that 7.30 Report!
No we won't, they will be lucky if 20 people from Geelong get jobs from this. It means nothing to Geelong, even if they stamp panels here it won't create many jobs. Good for Broadmeadows, and a smart move though. Having an Australian assembled small car gives them a huge advantage.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #99
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol. Hey let's see the media do a story on how Ford have managed to organize an Australian built small car in this budget concious day and age wher everyone else seems to be importing Korean crap. Shame Ford could'nt announce this news a week earlier. It's a good marketing point an 'Aussie small car' but knowing Ford will anyone know that fact, more likely average Joe will still tell ya Holdens' small car is Ausssie not the Ford.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #100
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Well i wont be buying a new Focus when they start making them here in aus... build quality the same as the falcon = NO thanks.

Germany build quality = for sure!

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #101
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:

Ford will never devolop an AWD drive focus RS. i just wont happen so accept it and move on..

We where lucky that they built he original RS. its just not cost viable. they lost money on the original RS. the only way they would be able to make money is if they used the Focus ST 2 door. added some bodykit, wheels and tuned the bugger to 300hp.. thats the only way!

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #102
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Well i wont be buying a new Focus when they start making them here in aus... build quality the same as the falcon = NO thanks.

Can't be any worse than South African build quailty.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #103
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Don't underestimate what the 2011 Focus will be. Modern manufacturing is now all about making a product easy to and 'idiot proof' to manufacture, and we will see that in new products from now on.

I would imagine that the all new Focus 3 will be a darling to assemble, the quality will be very good, and the dynamics will be best in class.

The only question will be the paint quality. Focus WILL become FoA's core product in the next 10 years no doubt about it.

I don't think there will be a LHD Falcon made here, so Focus is where the future lays for FoA.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #104
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Considering the current Focus is made in Sth Africa that means jack anyway. It will still be German designed and engineered, so quality should be good anyway. Quality needs to be designed in from the start, not just on the production line.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #105
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Any idea how big the 2011 Ford Focus will be???

Small cars these days are getting huge! I have a feeling that the Falcon is going to be pushed into a corner competing with a Mondeo the same size but is cheaper and more fuel efficient.

The Falcon beyond 2011 will at the very least have to be heavily Mustang based or imported from the U.S.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post