Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-05-2007, 10:42 AM   #61
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
... as they are a very expensive box .... around the $5K-$6K mark)
Try fixing a Subaru gearbox.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #62
Springfield_Johny

Stay away from the Cafe Latte 4 wheel or all wheel drives, like the Rav4's etc. All their good for is, in case there is a pot hole on the way to the Cafe latte shop.
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #63
kooky
WRX terrorist

I would say go and drive a Forester or Liberty before you both decide on what "feels safe"
Old 07-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #64
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooky
I would say go and drive a Forester or Liberty before you both decide on what "feels safe"
2nd to that.
There's plenty of MY06 Forester's that dealers are wanting to get rid of.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #65
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Me three - first time out in the Outback in pouring rain, I couldn't get over how it hung on. You still need to be sensible of course, an AWD car will still slide off the road. But with the power on, traction is just amazing. I'm re-learning the 'slow in, fast out' technique with the Subaru.

And sudden storms around Sydney are only going to get more frequent...
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #66
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK5766
Update-

Test drove the 2.0 turbo diesel Golf 6 spd auto today, very impressive build quality, lots of torque and i think it should be right for 1-2 kids anyway.

My wife loved the feel and felt safe behind the wheel which is the most important. I gave it the thumbs up too so it looks like we are going for the golf.
GOLF with a baby??

Mate your crazy!!

Once you get baby seats, prams and **** in the boot you wont be able to move. My mates got a new Rav 4 and cant even push the seats back because of the baby seats, id be getting a Liberty wagon as said above.

Not to mention the extra safety issues, truck runs up your *** your kids have no chance in a little hatch back, id be seriously rethinking with the money your going to spend on a Golf, (high service costs to, and repair costs after warranty).
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #67
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been getting around in an N13 Pulsar hatch. Its easy to park and when you do it is small enough that there is still enough room to get in when you come back to find the compulsory 4WD parked in the space next to you. Wife sits in back with baby and dog sits (strapped) in front passenger seat next to me. Stroller fits across the back of the hatch and there is room around it for about half a dozen shopping bags. You should be able to do the same with a Golf but don't buy anything bigger than a stroller. If you get a layback one you can use it right from birth, they are also very manouverable in the shops. Stroller was $150 and convertible car seat about the same price. You don't have to spend a fortune.
We have this:http://www.babiesgalore.com.au/view_...bCategoryId%3D
and this:http://www.motherschoice.com.au/page...s/MC_monza.pdf
Both were on sale when we got them in just after christmas.

Last edited by GXL078; 09-05-2007 at 02:12 PM.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #68
351hardtop
Wahoo

Default Look harder

I second and third the Volvo suggestions. They are all over the safety aspect and a V40 or V70 etc wagon will provide everything you need and are very well built. I have owned several over the years, and I'm sorry but the good European cars that take pride in their safety record c###p all over the Japanese cars. Before I get flamed I have a Mitsubishi, Toyota, Chrysler (voyager) and Ford and have owned dozens of different cars over the years.

They all good cars in their own way and serve different purposes but the Volvos (can't buy one in a people mover otherwise I'd be owning it) win hands down for safety and quality. They far exceed collision requirements, whereas others may well meet the requirements but don't go beyond them, you won't know that unless you find out the hard way. I agree too that you wouldn't want a rear ender in a small hatch no matter what the manufacturer tells you.

Only a few years ago there was an investigation into why people in the back of small Japanese 4WDs (Suzuki I think?)were found thrown on the road after collisions. The back seats were that poorly constructed they were breaking and collapsing backwards, the occupants were torpedoed out the back windows!! Yet they met the NCAP safety requirements.

What I'm saying is, I'd be going for someone who has a known history of far exceeding safety requirements, not just meeting them. Here's some trivia Volvo invented the three point safety belts we all use now and gave the product to the motoring industry for community safety.

BTW Volvo are now owned by Ford so you could rest easy that you'd be keeping it all in the family.

Sorry if this looks like a rant.
Rick.
351hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #69
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

Try a Honda Odyssey, my previous post mentioned all the performance vehicles but thats obviously not that important, plus they look great, heaps of room etc

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 03:19 PM   #70
GK351

Just to let all know,
We have purchased a VW golf 2.0L Turbo Diesel 6 spd auto.
Goes like a little ripper.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #71
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK5766
Just to let all know,
We have purchased a VW golf 2.0L Turbo Diesel 6 spd auto.
Goes like a little ripper.
**pic snip**
Very nice. 2.0 TDI is an awesome car.

Just FYI, its not an automatic. Its a DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox), a 6-speed electronically controlled dual clutch manual with two input shafts, one shaft per clutch.

The Golf will serve you well. We have a 2.0 FSI 6sp Automatic (the petrol uses the auto, the Diesel the DSG) and its fantastic.

PS - Nice choice of colour... same as our FSI.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #72
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I bought the Mrs. a Mazda6 for the same reasons. When it came to convenience with boot space and Back Seat area, I lost my Territory, and have been driving the said Mazda.

One thing to consider when you are looking at cars like a Golf is the size of the Boot. Take your pram along when looking at the cars, and get your Mrs. to lift the Pram into the boot of the cars you are looking at. If she has trouble, or thinks that the boot will be too small (or the Pram doesn't fit) move along. It is a great help when looking at cars. In hindsight, I wish we did the same thing.

If you want another Ford, try a Focus. I have not driven one, however the Reviews seem good.
was about to mention these 2 cars, im buying my missus a focus because of the boot space (dont have kids.......yet : ) and my ma is buying the mazda 6 classic sports hatch. huge boot and a nice car too for a mazda.
Old 13-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #73
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

: e didn't read the whole thread. nice car i like the colour