Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
ecca
Starter Motor

Default My new ride

Gday all,
First time poster, long time reader of these forums!
Just a week ago I purchased my second car, a 1999 AU1 Fairmont :
she's not in the best condition cosmetically (exterior), but the interior and mechanicals are pretty good (only 114,000)
I've fixed up some of the paintwork myself, and as I'm going to be using the car as a daily driver, at this stage i'm not too worried about paying too much cash to get the paint in A1 condition.
The brakes need attention though, they are starting to 'shudder' when coming to a gradual stop... i suspect the discs may need machining (not sure about the pads)
Oh, and the car struggles to start every now and then. you really have to keep trying to crank it over. but once she's running it's great. not too sure what that's about
anyways thanks for reading my thread! :evil3:

ecca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Looks nice.

You better stop reading the forums now, before you get too many ideas!!! You'll be out of money in no time and the mod list will just keep growing :P

Welcome to the wonderful world of the AU Falcon (or Fairmont in your case!).
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
ecca
Starter Motor

hahah yeah, i am worried i'll go overboard on the mods.
after the brake issue is sorted, i'll have to get the tyres done. then i'll be looking at mods.
i'm pretty happy with the car. the old man has a black AUII XR8. and he's had plenty of fords before that. so i had no hesitation buying one myself.
Old 16-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

nice purchase mann, i have a 99' AUI Fairmont too ...

as for you're shudder, you're brake pads are running thin which will need replacing ...

and shuddering on start up? check oil levels ... i have that same problem atm ... and HAD that brake problem
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
ecca
Starter Motor

nversace,
yeah the oil level is right on the F level on the dipstick. the oil pressure gauge reads at the notch above halfway on startup. stays that way until i'm warmed up, and at a set of lights. on idle, where its a notch above 0. but i've read thats not unusual, as its some kind of fault with the electric system in the car?
the car also had a semi major engine service done 10,000km ago. they replace ignition coil, leads, inlet manifold gasket, coolant etc etc etc. not that i think that's relevant but it lessens the likelihood of it being related to any of those things.
Old 16-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
Jokular

Unless whoever replaced the parts did a halfasxed job.
If you are a bit mechanically minded a quick check of the plugs leads oil quality etc.. would set your mind at ease.
Also if you haven't already follow the below link and do the T/B clean.

T/B clean
Jokular is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 11:44 PM   #7
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecca
The brakes need attention though, they are starting to 'shudder' when coming to a gradual stop... i suspect the discs may need machining (not sure about the pads)
Oh, and the car struggles to start every now and then. you really have to keep trying to crank it over.
your shuddering will be cause by disc rotors being warped youl need to get them machined if they are still thick enough to machine... and check the pads as well it pays to replace them when machining rotors.....

as for stuggling to start id get ya battery checked out.....but this could also be a tune problem...hard to diag without seeing the vehicle...
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #8
ecca
Starter Motor

thanks for everyone's responses!
i took the car down to kmart tyre and auto today (as i work at kmart) and they had a look over the car for me. the front brakes are metal on metal, and require new rotors. no chance of machining the old ones. the back rotors are undersized, but the pads are at about 60%. so i should be able to get away with the back brakes - for now.
the starting issue was caused by the battery. wrong type of battery. the cold start cranks (sorry not 100% sure what it's called) was not high enough for a falcon. and the battery is on its last legs anyway.
Just to do the front brakes:
Kmart: $420 - includes new rotors, ferodo pads.
my other mechanic: $280 - new rotors, bendix pads.
There were some other problems with the car. steering rack is leaking a little. exhaust rusted out. however from the engine to the cat converter everything is fine.

i don't want to be spending more than I have to at the moment... I'm thinking of just getting the front brakes done. anyone care to shed any light on this?

thanks.
Old 17-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecca
I'm thinking of just getting the front brakes done. anyone care to shed any light on this?
Heya ecca,
have a look at this howto http://tinyurl.com/27euej and see if you reckon you can change to front rotors/pads yourself (if you read it, only the first few and the last couple of steps are necessary for rotor replacement).

Then have a look here http://tinyurl.com/2aczwc at the price for slotted discs and pads

It will save you a few bucks if you can handle it.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #10
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looks good in the pics, can't complain for a daily driver

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #11
TMB490
20's are cool

nice and clean
TMB490 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 06:34 PM   #12
The Monty
Just slidin'

Nice colour. Hard to keep clean though.
Old 18-08-2007, 07:13 PM   #13
ecca
Starter Motor

the car needs a good cut and polish, which will be happening tomoro
i had the front brakes done yesterday, dba rotors and bendix pads for $360. that stopped my shuddering problem. then in two weeks time (which it will have around 115,000kms, i'll be doing auto trans oil change (maybe flush), diff oil change... might get the brake system flushed too.
not sure if i'll do these things myself or get the mechanic to do them. it will look better on the service history if i do these things with the mechanic this time, then look at doing them myself afterwards.