Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-09-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
V|PER
The Anointed

Default Car Covers ??

I was just down the street looking for a car cover for my BA XR8, I thought ok it just needs to be simple as im not needing it to keep rain out or anything. The car is garraged during the week and comes out for a cruise on weekends. I mainly only want to keep dust of it so I dont have to wash it every week when it has just been in the shed.

What car covers do you use, which one would you suggest.

V|PER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Sorry, I dont know which cover to get but, I wouldnt use a cover for a car in the garage. They can do more damage than what a little bit of dust can do. For one your car needs to be perfectly dry as a cover will keep moisture in. Even a light dust cover. I just dont think its worth it and have seen one car with surface rust caused by a cover on it for a fairly short time. Also a rub marks on the paint where it had rested ........

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Sorry, I dont know which cover to get but, I wouldnt use a cover for a car in the garage. They can do more damage than what a little bit of dust can do. For one your car needs to be perfectly dry as a cover will keep moisture in. Even a light dust cover. I just dont think its worth it and have seen one car with surface rust caused by a cover on it for a fairly short time. Also a rub marks on the paint where it had rested ........

I agree with you mate. I know how annoying it is when your car is out of the elements in the garage and it gets dusty very quickly. However I think the inconvenience of having to wash a car more often, outweighs the damage that a car cover can do. Of course, for people without any undercover storage for their car, a cover might be considered. Definitely not for a car in a garage though.
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
V|PER
The Anointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Hmm a fair call, I have thought about this myself and wondered if the taking off and putting on of a cover does more bad than good.

Its a pretty dry shed, as its a newish house with concrete floor etc. But does get hot in summer.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
BTTB
Free XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by V|PER
What car covers do you use, which one would you suggest.
Dont use the Super Cheap Auto ones for $30-$40

They don't handle UV light very well....

I had mine for a year and it disintegrated last week when it got windy
BTTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I got an Aunger car cover for just over $40 would this be a good cover?, as my car does live out side for now.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I got a nice one from Autobarn was around the $120 mark.Has a soft felt lining and a grey top lining ,supposed to be weaterproof but i went with it for the soft lining.No marks from it in the last years..I'm happy with it.. I can get the name brand if you need it.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #8
V|PER
The Anointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust
I got a nice one from Autobarn was around the $120 mark.Has a soft felt lining and a grey top lining ,supposed to be weaterproof but i went with it for the soft lining.No marks from it in the last years..I'm happy with it.. I can get the name brand if you need it.
Yea that would be great if you ca, I was in there today checking them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVO_XR6
I got an Aunger car cover for just over $40 would this be a good cover?, as my car does live out side for now.
Im not sure mate, I was looking at the Aunger ones today at repco and they looked the better out of what I saw, I didnt see any decent ones for weather though

By the looks so far it seems if its garaged I may be better off just washing it and being done with it.
I saw a lambswool one one for 160 for show cars, I thought that could be the go as it was very soft. Decisions, decisions.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:42 PM   #9
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

ok is Sunland Prestige CC43 XL.. I like it ,is pretty nice .XL fits a Falcon nice and snug ,wouldn't want any smaller
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
The Lone Ranger
My young fella "Paddy"

I bought one from cover craft in Sydney ( I think ) Custom cut to suit my Force 8 and paid $600. Worth every cent as it fits like a glove and is made of a spandex type of material.

Darren.
The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:15 PM   #11
V|PER
The Anointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust
ok is Sunland Prestige CC43 XL.. I like it ,is pretty nice .XL fits a Falcon nice and snug ,wouldn't want any smaller
Thanks for that mate, ill look it up.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #12
V|PER
The Anointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENIAL8
I bought one from cover craft in Sydney ( I think ) Custom cut to suit my Force 8 and paid $600. Worth every cent as it fits like a glove and is made of a spandex type of material.

Darren.
Whoa that is impressive. Custom made.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #13
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i have one for the XB. same deal , just to help keep the dust off in the garage.

i cant remember the brand name and its at my brothers place about 50km away so wont get there to check for a while.

it is a very light soft nylon type material , kind of a creamy colour, think i paid about $60 for it, and when it packs up it all folds back into a pocket at one end and you can use it as a small pillow ? very easy to fit and remove and packs up small for storage.

i have had mine for about 15 years and its still good and no marks on car.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:40 PM   #14
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the $120 Sunland one too with the soft lining. Its a very good cover. The fabric is perforated so the car breathes under the cover. Never had a moisture issue, and having had the covered car caught in a downpour I can vouch that they are weather proof.
I've been using mine frequently for at least 3 years now and it hasn't left a mark on the EL. Anyone on the forum that knows my car can vouch for that.
The secret is to make sure the car is completely clean before you cover it, otherwise there is a risk of chaffing the paint.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:06 AM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

The Sunland one is great, Autotechnica also do one that is very similar. Ive sold plenty of them and had no complaints. Both go for around $120.

If anyone needs part numbers etc I can get them tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #16
3vXT

I think mine is the autotechnica one. Cost me about $140 but i dont really use it much now that i've got a carport.
I did use it a month ago when i needed to keep the car clean for a few days leading up to a wedding. Took it off on the morning of the wedding, gave the car a very quick buff and it came up ok. The cover is too much of a pain in the ____ to put on and take off every week though and it is a very tight fit on my BA (fitted the eb pretty good when i had it).
It has little breather flap things up near the windows. Open the windows up a few inches and the inside still smells good when i take it off. I only ever left it on for a week or so at a time with the EB and have only used it once with the BA.

Last edited by fairmont1998; 03-09-2007 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Don't evade the swear filter
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #17
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I had the Autotechnica one while i was was building the XY... I didnt have a garage then either!!! It did a decent job (occasional rubbing because of the winds; but a bit of polish took care of that)
... Just make sure that whenever you go for a cruise to give a quick once over before throwing the cover over it again...
Old 03-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #18
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

I use a Autotechnica for when I park in the driveway, does the job. Costed me $80 from autobarn.
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote