Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-09-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default need some insurance help :)

well, this morning I call my bro to find out his car was stolen overnight. They broke into his house while he was asleep. Took 2 mobile phones, $400, a laptop and the keys to his house and car(a AU2 XR8 ute). Seeing as they had they keys they thought "what the hell, will take that to". The ute is his work ute and had heaps of tools in it. He gets a call this evening to say that the car has been recovered : . He gets it back with his tools all over the place, and a few other things stolen(gps, phone charger, drill chargers, digital camera....).

Right from this morning we where hoping that the car dosnt get recovered. Its a V8 manual ute, and we all know that if a vehicle with combination gets stolen, its not coming back the same. As expected the cars been absolutely thrashed. The engine dose not seem right and there is definitely something wrong with the diff, clutch and gear box. The skirts are scraped and one wheel is gutter scraped.

Question is, will the insurance company repair mechanical damage to the car?? What are the chances of them writing it off? Its insured for 30k.

cheers for any help

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 12:15 AM   #2
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Insured for 30k thats allot fo an auxr8 ute, they should replace anything that has been stuffed. Mate had a el xr8 stolen and they paid him out as everything was shagged notor, diff gearbox etc. Then he went to the auctions and bought it back and fixed it up and had 8 grand in his pocket. The car is not the same though (obviously)
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 12:42 AM   #3
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was insured for a bit because of the rims and custom body kit, bonnet, canopy......what would a new 5ltr V8 be worth from ford? what about gearbox and diff. He really dosnt want it back. I drives so funny at the moment

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
Old 29-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

theyd most likely fix it or get quotes to fix it... dont know whether theyd cover stolen items though

14 days it has to be stolen for, for it to be written off

id wait for the quotes and when they say "yes we'll get if fixed" ask them how much, if its more than half push for it to be written off...... my god is that soooooooo much easier and less stressful... trust me i know all too well

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

For mechanical damage they will get reports from mechanics and then consider all the options. Most of the time they can be repaired but I would imagine before it even gets touched by anyone they will wait for police to finish with it.
Old 29-09-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the police didnt actually do anything with it. When the thiefs dumped it, they dumped it in front of someones house and then took there car. They left the keys on the ground. The guy who lived at the house reported his car stolen and then found the keys to my bro's car. He had a look through it to find out who's it was. He found my bro's mobile number, but was switched off cos it was stolen. The cops said that seeing as though the other guy went through it, theres no point dusting for prints.

I really hope they write it off

Old 29-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I would still think your insurance company should do a sharps test, that is pretty standard practice and then it will depend on the extent of damage as to cost of repair, if it is econimical to fix they will, if not they will write it off.
If your brother does not want it back his option is to sell it once its fixed if it does get fixed.
Old 30-09-2007, 08:22 AM   #8
Nickxb
XB in progress

Insurance companies should be doing a full sharps test and a full mechanical check for all theft claims. I would call them up and ask to speak to the person who assessed your car and ask them if they did these test. If you have problems with anything ask for their Internal Disputes department. express your concerns and they may be able to help.
Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote