Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-10-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
EA Bogan

Default How many accidents and/or near misses have you had?

Personally i have never had any accidents as such after 2 odd years of driving..some stupid woman rear ended me slightly in my filthy piece of 1985 Magna that i got for 50 bucks just to teach myself how to drive manual. It stalled cause the clutch had almost no surface area left and she drove straight into my immoble, stationary car. Since it was all her fault nothnig could be done really, the magnas towbar had a 1 cm dent in it but her crap Daewoo something or other leaked all its coolant radiators contents on the road. I have had heaps of near misses from the annoying to the tissue-tearing (none of which were in any way my fault), just ask me about em..

Car 2: White 1998 Toyota Starlet Life 5speed manual
EA Bogan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
Ringo
I see you....

Near misses?....plenty when I was younger and almost always because of my own actions....mainly not paying attention or distractions (look at that hot car, hot girl..etc)

Doesn't happen that much now....I drive defensively now out of habit and watch drive like its a computer game

Had one accident where I ran up the back of a Subaru. The driver of the Subaru had to brake suddenly because of the stupid driving of someone in front of them and I didn't have enough space to pull up....all I needed was another metre or two.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had no accidents. Plenty of near misses. Had some person pull in front of me from a slip lane the same day I picked up my WRX though.

Was a bit of scary moment but the brakes saved me alright. If I was in my TX5 I would have smashed into it I reckon.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quite a few. Surprised I'm still alive sometimes.
Scariest was cruising down a 2 lane freeway at 110-115 k's came behind two lorries side by side, and when I put my foot on the brake absolutely nothing happened. Pedal just went to the floor with zero resistance. Handbrake on, downshift, move to the shoulder flying past the lorries and I really have no idea how or why I did not hit anything. Just managed to stop at the shoulder. Truck drivers probably thought I was a hoon because they both gave me a blast of the horns as they went past. It was quite a few minutes though before I could get out of the car. And yes the master cylinder had suffered a complete failure loosing all the brake fluid. (mid 70's gemini ) Had only air in there.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

As most of you know I work in Motor insurance claims. I have had a lot of near misses myself. One inparticular I can think of was the xmas just gone. And I have to say it would have been 100% my fault if the other guy had not compensated my mistake. (yes we all make them).
I was turning left at a set of lights, being early 7.00insh xmas morning I was not really paying a lot of attention and went to turn left at a turn left at anytime with care sign. A guy that had turned right from the oppisite side of the road that had a green arrow came around just as i pulled out, Luckily he was able to swerve to the inside lane to miss me, if it had of been any other day than xmas i reckon he would have had someone in that next lane. We drove on and i got stuck at a red light up the road with the guy in the right lane next to me. i could see he was pointing his finger at me and about to abuse me, when i just said 'mate I am soooo sooooo sorry for that" he had this look about him and kind of regained his composure and said 'yeah well just look next time". Fair call, I can live with that.

This illistrates my next statement though. I have no proven stats for this, it is purley my own thinking.
About 98% of the time the other person can compensate your mistake.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #6
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

No Vehicle vs Vehicle accidents, but plenty of Vehicle vs Wallaby/Kangaroo/Emu/Plains Turkey..... to name a few.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Emu jeez, that would leave a fair dent in your pride 'n' joy. I've never hit another car, been mighty close too many times to count, Mostly other idiots fault, some of my own. As for wildlife all i've hit was a duck. As for man made objects, I drove over a keep left sign 3 weeks after I got my license back when I had my 89 Excel. My parent's / Sister never found out about that one (the car already had damage there).
Old 05-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
Dezza
Parts bin special

I've been involved in 3. Firstly, in 2002 I didn't see a ute and pulled out in front of it. He slammed into my left hand guard. A year later I was stopped at a set of lights and had a Hilux run up the back of me. Then to top it off, in January this year I ran up the back of another car on a car cruise.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 06:12 PM   #9
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

today was my last one I was comming out of a round about on the right lane overtaking some proton when the idiot indicates and starts moving over I slammed on the brakes almost locking up to avoid this idiot who I missed by about half a meter.

Not only that he sticks his finger up at me and shakes his head.

WTF

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #10
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
Emu jeez, that would leave a fair dent in your pride 'n' joy.
The bullbar takes care of most objects.

Cheers
Old 05-10-2007, 06:46 PM   #11
blk_frmnt
ẶЦ ╒ǻІґмΩאַâ€*

I cleaned up a duck down by the lake last night...
blk_frmnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

None, had a few close calls, usually the other persons fault, im a pretty good driver, but im not perfect.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #13
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Worst case for me was coming out of the Springvale Rd exit of The Glen, was turning left and some old twit in a TR/TS Magna was doing a U-Turn. He didn't want to give way and almost went into me. Thankfully, it was only himself and I at the intersection so I turned sharply to avoid him and gave a nice little toot on the horn.

I don't drive enough to expose myself anyway as I prefer to walk.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 08:04 PM   #14
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine all seem to be black and whites, either I get hit or I don't.

However one time I was not paying attention whilst doing a bit more than the speed limit, front left tire mounted the ramped edge of a curb going around a slight bend, ended up spinning the car around twice and almost putting it into a valley

Needless to say, I'm never doing that again...
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 11:00 PM   #15
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In just under four years of driving, i have had a number of close calls. Some being my fault and some the other drivers. Had my first major accident about 2 months ago, when the other driver could not see if there was any on coming traffic. So he went for it trying to turn right into a street i was passing on my left. I unfortunately was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 11:53 PM   #16
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keeping my fingers crossed after 35 years and no accidents, surprising considering some pretty foul weather sometimes, heavy traffic etc. But I figured that in the end it might be something banal like this one:

I was driving in reasonably heavy traffic along the inside lane of a two lane road and in front of me was a bogan-type car with a big trailer and on the trailer a big mother of a bedroom wardrobe, 3 doors wide lying on its back. Well it turned out to be an "unsecured load" didn't it? Next thing I know when we're all accelerating away from a traffic light this big mother comes sliding off the back of the trailer and lands on the road right in front of me. By some miracle there was nobody to my right and I changed lanes in a split second while the camber of the road took the wardrobe sliding off to the left. I had a shower when I got home!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 11:59 PM   #17
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Only 1 accident. A workmate ran up my clacker and pushed me into another workmate who was in front of me. I was in my, well it dosent matter what i had then but lets just say it was stuffed. 1993 if i remember correctly.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 12:11 AM   #18
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

2 incidents come to mind. The first was not long after i got my licence, i did a U-turn without looking and turned into the side of the car that was behind me, nice big dent all along the side of their car...Never got the bill for that one due to the fact the bloke driving was a bit drunk otherwise it would be a fair repair bill for an 18yr old on his P's.

Second time was when some old fart decided to change lanes into the side of me, i saw it coming and hit the brakes but i got sandwiched between them and a concrete light pole. all that got damaged was the left hand mirror where it hit the pole (was damn close!) and a smashed front right indicator.

Poor old fella thought i was at fault, thats why you won't see me bagging insurance companies...they shut him up quick smart
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 07:32 AM   #19
HOON69
Banned

6 minor bumps all were superficial
and many a close call,some my fault most of em weren't.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #20
EA Bogan

it certainly seems to be true, old people have caused me much more strife than fellow P platers. There is always the odd fu*ckwit in their banged up Datsun 180B or VK commodore who starts maniacally overtaking me..i usually just ignore them but every once in awhile i downshift into second and blast them into the weeds. An old bag was trying to REVERSE out of the cash converters carpark in Glynde just yesterday while i was waiting for them to get out on the street and very nearly hit my mint condition Fairmont Ghia that i got just last Tuesday. I had to quickly shift into reverse and get out of his/her way (couldnt tell cause they were soo damn old). I sounded the horn about 5-6 times just to scare the out of them and they made a half assed getaway while scrubbing the curb with thier tire..Makes me wonder how some people pass the yearly test once they turn 75 when theyre literally blind and deaf on the road..

Car 2: White 1998 Toyota Starlet Life 5speed manual
EA Bogan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #21
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA Bogan
..Makes me wonder how some people pass the yearly test once they turn 75 when theyre literally blind and deaf on the road..

the problem is they have been seeing the same doctor for years that does not want them to go somewhere else because they get cranky at them for declining to sign thier licence medical. Or they just keep going to doctors until they find one that will pass them. all at medicares expense too BTW.

Its a joke, I believe the transport department for each state needs to employ doctors kind of like the types of 'clinics' that do nothing more than workplace physicals. that way they know the advice being given medically is correct, this would get a lot of them off the road.

EDIT: mind you this will not stop the ones that chose to ignore it. there are a lot of old people on the road that have had licences taken away but still drive.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #22
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Hit a landcruiser on the highway at 120kmh head on at Raglan, which is about 20k out of rockhampton, QLD. Car then launched off a 16foot embankment and flew in to the thick trees.

Landcruiser was broken in half...

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #23
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

6 accidents, every single one of them while I was stationary and someone ran up my .

It's funny, I've had countless near misses. Could count several per day in my younger days. As I got older and more experience on the road I learned to anticipate a potential near miss and what I should do to avoid it. For instance, I can pick when someone is going to merge in my lane before they do, back of the loud pedal and whammo, would have been a near miss if I hadn't. I'd turn to the gf about a second before and say, watch this guy about to cut me off..

So now I spend 5 times more time on the road than I used to and would be unlucky to have a near miss once a month.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 06:57 PM   #24
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
Hit a landcruiser on the highway at 120kmh head on at Raglan, which is about 20k out of rockhampton, QLD. Car then launched off a 16foot embankment and flew in to the thick trees.

Landcruiser was broken in half...

Wow. Glad to hear you weren't. One hell of a trip.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 08:01 PM   #25
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

bush banging in the old '96 lancer and understeered in mud and hit a big gum, oops.

last night (only one example of mannnny) raining, night time, 2 lanes, was 1 meter behind the guy in the other lane, road did a bit of an S bend (sharp though, to compensate for a turning lane) and BANG he's in my lane.

Sometimes I wish i had a bogan bar on the ute to nudge idiots that can't see.

but in his / her (asian, couldn't tell) defence, lines can get very hard to see in the wet. why oh why don't we have yellow / green lines??

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 10:52 PM   #26
kremmen

none too bad in cars, maybe a few scares in my youth but was sufficiently scared to do some intensive diving workshops fr the road, track and rally.

On the motorbike once a week, if i wasn't more diligent I'd probably b dead