Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
FPV70

Default Gear Ratio's

I am not too sure if anyone has ever asked the question but, Back in the glory days of the old GT's and maybe Cobra's you used to be able to pick a diff ratio am I correct?

If I am correct, why is it that thesedays we can not choose a ratio that we might like and why are we stuck with a high final drive like 2.92:1?

Yeah great top end but howabout a better sprint??

I believe Holden use a slightly lower Final drive to Ford which would inturn give a good fuel return around town and with the 6 speed auto's and manuals thesedays, I am sure we could do with a slightly lower final drive aswell.

the 290 and 260 would both stand to gain more from it unless the first gear ratio in the gearboxes is too low as they are which would be the only downside I can see.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Old 13-10-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

With the ZF 6speed auto Diff gear changes are a thing of the past.
Great acceleration and economy on highway.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
T3man
Banned

There was no choice of ratios on Cobras.

The choice of diff ratios finished with XY. Even then, it was only offered on the GTs, utes and vans, but not mainstream sedan models. From XA through to XF you could option a "lower" diff on commercial vehicles ie. utes, vans, and in some cases wagons (earlier years only).

So few people chose the option that Ford decided it wasn't worth the effort and as far as I know there have been no alternate diff ratios offered ex-factory since the advent of the E-Series.

Anyone interested can choose from several after-market suppliers to do it anyhow.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
cowboy
Cowboy

The BF XR8 ute brochure lists a another diff ratio as a factory option. Can't remember if it's taller or shorter. Taller I think.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Ford chose the 2.73 ratio for the ZF's because they have a broad spread of gear ratios 1st and 2nd being low ratios. A BF XR8 will do 62kmh in 1st, 111kmh in 2nd and cruise along @ 110kmh in top gear pulling only 1700rpm...

If Ford went with say a 3.23 then you wouldn't even hit 100kmh in 2nd which would seem kind of silly...the 6sp manuals are geared better with a tigher spread of ratios eg the ZF will do 175kmh at the end of 3rd while the 6sp manual will only do 155kmh...

That being said, I think it would be a great idea if Ford still offered different diff ratio options when spec-ing your new car...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #6
FPV70

Well thanks for that info guy's. It now makes more sence and also confirms the reasoning for the taller ratios.
Now I can stop those nagging voices in my head as to why/why not
Old 13-10-2007, 11:11 PM   #7
Barry_v
rocknrolla

they offered different rear end gears because they had no overdrive and only 3/4 forward gears.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post