Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default air con/climate control fan

right.. it's starting to get stinking hot up here in brisbane.. and my lack of air con is REALLY starting to get to me.... it used to be an intermittent problem... but now it just never works....

i thought it might have been the contols.. but now i beleive the fan unit itself is knackered....

today i turned the fan to 4.. and nothing.. so i jumped under the passenger side to here a clicking/clunking sound... so i whacked the black box looking thing under the glove box.. and the fans started up.. i was stoked...

however.. after several minutes.. the force of air coming out the vents was getting lower and lower.. till it eventually stopped... i jumped into the passenger footwell again.. and heard the same clunky/clicky type noise again.. so i think the fan itself has died.. (assuming it's under the glove box)

if so.. is it possible to replace it?.. if so.. how hard is to do?.. ie.. can i do it myself?.. or do i need a professional to do it.. and if i do.. who would i take it too?

Thanks
Trent

Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Might be just leaves in the fan housing; open the flap on the extreme left under glove box and put your hand in. If its a Fairmont, LTD, or Fairlane with climate control run the self test and see what fault codes you get.
Old 24-10-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

wrong post...
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
sly
Sly like a G6

Try any easy suggestion you get... if the fan motor is fructis you will need to take the dashboard out to get to the heater/aircon box, not to mention having the aircon degassed before starting, then regassed when it's all put back together.

Time consuming but easy enough to do with a mate and a manual. Pay a workshop and you'll be up for maybe 10 man-hours (say $650) just to get the dash out & back in, plus the cost of a replacement fan, not too exy from a wrecker, under $100.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

jeebuz... yeah i was worried about having to pull the dash out.. :S... i'll try some of these easy fixes first... if push comes to shove.. i guess my brakes won't be going on for a bit longer... heh...
Old 26-10-2007, 10:18 AM   #6
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i just pulled the glovebox out... and had a look at the fan.. pretty dusty in there... if i turn the fan on... it does nothing.. if i give it a quick spin to start it up.. it runs ok... not sure how long for tho.... i did look at it when i turned it on from start.. and it turned a bit then stopped... i was thinking of blowing it out with some compressed air.... i thought of wd40... but then thought better not coz the whole car will stink... heh... well keep posted on what i do and if i fix it or not....
Old 26-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
whiskers
gone fishing

blow it out with some air and also if you can give the heat exchanger a blow out as well, I was told by a air bloke that mine was on the way out as well but have kept it going now for over 12 months
whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah.. tried blowing it with some air today....

didn't work.. if i turn the fan on and start it spinning by physically touching the fan it spins... otherwise.. it will not spin up...

booked it in for about 2 weeks time to get it replaced... seems a lot more simple then i thought.. about a 2 hour job i was told... so hopefully not too expensive.. $240 for a new unit.. or $45 for one of the second hand ones he has laying around...