Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Default Tinting of some 4wd's

Does anyone know why some new 4wd's out there don't have the front drivers and passenger windows tinted, but the rest of the car is?

Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_XR6
Does anyone know why some new 4wd's out there don't have the front drivers and passenger windows tinted, but the rest of the car is?
That my friend can be traced back to a small Manufacturer by the name of 'Toyota'.

If you check Federal and State Tinting (all windows but the windscreen) you'll see some disimilarities. Nationally, anyone can import or purchase a vehicle that has all windows (apart from windscreen, and both front passenger windows) tinted to 20%. In all states however, it is only legal to apply tint film of 35% (it can be applied to all windows, except the windscreen).

So, you can buy a new Land Cruiser with 'privacy glass' and then tootle down to TintACar and have the two front windows done in 35% tint to make it look a little less silly.

I just wish the State and Federal governments would sort it out and go with the 20% for anything rear of the B-Pillar. Victoria tinters would be fined if they were found to be applying anything stronger than 35%.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
fastlane
In here

As above, it is called privacy glass. They decided on this to protect your passengers and cabin from on lookers.
fastlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

So this privacy glass is only really 20% tint?
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
Quicklier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_XR6
So this privacy glass is only really 20% tint?
Yep, sure is!
Old 05-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
Quicklier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane
As above, it is called privacy glass. They decided on this to protect your passengers and cabin from on lookers.
Actually, Toyota do it for their European market (RHD UK anyway). Australia were pushing back on safety grounds, however UK volumes compared to AUS tended to allow Toyota to push the point.

There may have been some 'yes sir' attitude when Toyota explained the configuration costs to the Australian Government, and that it may help them rethink its operations in Australia.

I think it's a winner of a design!
Old 05-11-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
fastlane
In here

^^^ Cheers buddy. I to think it is a ripper design.
fastlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #8
EF Futura 07
14.915 @ 151 KPH

to answer your question! the only 4whe....... well AWD : that i know of is a Subaru Forester

EL XR Front, 16 inch Tickford's, Superlow's Front/Rear with Monroe GT Sport's : , XR6T Snorkle/Fram Filter, 4499's/Hi Flow Cat/2.5 inch Redback, 4.11's/LSD, 5% Tint, Sony Head Unit/ 6 1/2 Inch 190w Speaker's
: 14.915 @ 151 kph 60' 2.254 :
EF Futura 07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 06:43 PM   #9
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what about that reflective tint? the black in that is virtually completely blacked out, and the silver/chrome is solid as well.

thats one way to get around the 20% 35% thing, as that isnt really as dark as some people like.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 06:43 PM   #10
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF Futura 07
to answer your question! the only 4whe....... well AWD : that i know of is a Subaru Forester
Jeep do it the US, here they dont even offer tint as standard
:
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #11
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Whilst we are on the topic of 4WD's, why do Patrols and some Pajeros have their indicator and brake lights low in the bumper when the higher ones are there, but aren't being used? If that makes sense??

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #12
fairBA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Whilst we are on the topic of 4WD's, why do Patrols and some Pajeros have their indicator and brake lights low in the bumper when the higher ones are there, but aren't being used? If that makes sense??
higher ones are activated when a trailer plug is connected incase trailer does not have lights.
fairBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #13
fatxagt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to clarify. Privacy glass is not a film, its actually tinted glass, so it can't be removed, it will never fade or change in its appearance.
I also know about a large group of tinting companies banding together to attempt to change those import laws before it makes an impact on their businesses. Not sure if they have any hope.
If the "privacy glass" is 20%, Then shouldnt it be illegal and unraodworthy?

Need a Windscreen? www.windscreensmelbourne.com.au
fatxagt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #14
davidclough

my wifes disco has tinted rearside and rear glass quite dark but once again not the front two now it could be that i bought it out of mildura (vic) and it had to go over the pits here in sa. Funny thing is though i worked three years ago as a sales manager at a dealership in mt gambier and all of the cars we bought from over the border that had tint had to have all tint stripped from them to get registered here, in fact we quite often re tinted them, work that out?????
davidclough is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 10:10 PM   #15
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
afaik its to do with ADR's requiring increased visibility of taillights with the doors open.... the trailer argument doesnt really work if you look at the later model landcruiser troopies
Old 05-11-2007, 10:18 PM   #16
Neoxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
afaik its to do with ADR's requiring increased visibility of taillights with the doors open.... the trailer argument doesnt really work if you look at the later model landcruiser troopies
I used to own a patrol and there are no light bulbs in the plastic moulding, you have it correct about the ADR's is because of the spare wheel on the boot. you have to be able to see the tail lights from a certain angle. with the spare on you cant see them. look at a cruiser or prado they have working upper lights 1 the cruiser doesnt have a spare on the tailgate. 2 the prado spare is in the middle so you can see the lights from the correct angle.

'11 Nissan Navara D22 2.5L pickup!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by protd
because it looks gay, not just gay but mardi gra gay
Neoxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 10:50 PM   #17
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

That makes more sense to me than the trailer theory. Thanks guys.

Daniel

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post