Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-06-2005, 10:02 PM   #1
RATT

Default Digital Camera advise

The time has come for me to upgrade to a new digital camera.

What I want is a camera which will mainly be used as a hobby to take panoramic pics and general things like cars, family etc.

I'm not after a camera with many affects. Just a camera with good/excellent zoom and clarity. I quite like the work of fellow members Aeron, Olympus and sparkles.

The budget is up to $1000.

All help is greatly appreciated.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2005, 10:07 PM   #2
Psycho Chicken
Banned

We've got a Kodak DX6490 and it's grouse. Seem to be coming in under the $500 mark now. Picture quality is mad and video quality is good too.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2005, 10:10 PM   #3
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
The time has come for me to upgrade to a new digital camera.

What I want is a camera which will mainly be used as a hobby to take panoramic pics and general things like cars, family etc.

I'm not after a camera with many affects. Just a camera with good/excellent zoom and clarity. I quite like the work of fellow members Aeron, Olympus and sparkles.

The budget is up to $1000.

All help is greatly appreciated.
Yea im after a new digital camera also, although my budget is just a semi cheapo. Lol around the 250 - 350 mark. Just something i can take pictures of friends cars etc. Im thinkin around 5mp with about a 4x optical zoom. Plus its gotta look good lol. Anyone got any ideas for me also
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2005, 10:33 PM   #4
parawolf
beep beep

What i've found importart for 'good' panoramic shots and more importantly 'photostitching' (blending multi photos together to look as one) is that the pivot point (the screw in for a tripod) is to be directly below the lens assembly.

This is so that when you pan the tripod the axis stays the same as the lens.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:49 PM   #5
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Like I was saying on the cruise mate, the S70 is hard to beat for a compact performer. It has a TRUE wide angle as well which, as I have found, is a sensational addition. Solid performance and excellent colour reproduction. Top unit and you can get them in store now for ~$760 (plus whatever memory card you want). In my experience, (have used quite a few different digitals), it is a seriously good buy for the money and is only bettered by the big boys (SLR body type).

As always, www.dpreview.com is a great source for information.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:05 PM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you want to develop them or just store them on the computer?

I work in a photolab and if you want to get a good one and plan on developing then a $1000 camera sounds great rather than a cheapy. Digital will never be better than film quality though. Too often people come into my work with pictures that arent true photo size and then discover that there was no point taking them as they are pixelated.

And be aware if your goin to get them printed that the Dig cam 6X4" (standard photo) often isnt like the printer/developer 6X4" format. This results in the picture coming out with 2 white lines at the end of the picture. You can get it stretched but you lose a bit of the picture. Also make sure they have special digital paper. I doubt many places would still be using an old photolab system but the difference between the old paper and the new digital stuff is really noticeable.

So when buying one be aware of these factors. If you just want to put em on the computer then its no probs but if you want to get them developed just take it into consideration and ask around.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
5speedeb
now with 3.73 lsd

kodak dx7590 5.0mega pix 10xzoom
5speedeb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2005, 12:28 AM   #8
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a Tekxon 5.5 mega pixels off e-bay for $180 and the SD card for it for $35 and it works really well
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2005, 12:32 AM   #9
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2005, 12:38 AM   #10
xr8ute
Back on the road

Have a look at the Panasonic Lumix series, they are pretty good. the FZ20 is 5 Megapixel, 12x optical zoom, with image stabiliser.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml

Camerafarm.com.au has them for $807 at the moment.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2005, 12:40 AM   #11
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Do you want to develop them or just store them on the computer?

I work in a photolab and if you want to get a good one and plan on developing then a $1000 camera sounds great rather than a cheapy. Digital will never be better than film quality though. Too often people come into my work with pictures that arent true photo size and then discover that there was no point taking them as they are pixelated.

And be aware if your goin to get them printed that the Dig cam 6X4" (standard photo) often isnt like the printer/developer 6X4" format. This results in the picture coming out with 2 white lines at the end of the picture. You can get it stretched but you lose a bit of the picture. Also make sure they have special digital paper. I doubt many places would still be using an old photolab system but the difference between the old paper and the new digital stuff is really noticeable.

So when buying one be aware of these factors. If you just want to put em on the computer then its no probs but if you want to get them developed just take it into consideration and ask around.
THIS ANSWERED A QUESTION I HAD ALWAYS WONDERED WHY MY PRINTER DOESN'T PRINT THE EXACT PHOTO I TOOK ITS OK IN 6X4 BUT WHEN I WANT TO PRINT AN A4 SIZE PHOTO IT GETS CHOPPED OR SLIGHTLY OFF CETRE TO THE ACTUAL PHOTO THAT APPEARS ON THE SCREAN . SPEWING . DECIDED I STILL HAVE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL TO PRINT ENLARGED PHOTOS. THOUGHT MY hp 2610 printer was no good.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2005, 12:45 AM   #12
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah mate glad it helped a bit. Happens even with the photolab.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2005, 08:09 AM   #13
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

I've posted this sort of reply somewhere before when someone else asked this question! lol

My mother-in-law has become this digital photography "expert" and has even entered some of her photos in a local competition (even though she didn't win anything, her stuff was definitely not out of place).

She had a Fuji Finepix 6.0mp which 2 years ago cost her over $800, now you can pick up better ones in the Fuji range for around the $400 - $500 mark. Lovely little things, easy peasy to use, and although digitals don't seem to last as long as film cameras (the cost of getting these things fixed is pointless - might as well buy another one... like printers, video recorders and dvd players etc), they are still pretty good to have. With this camera she was able to get a particular photo professionally developed to an incredible size without losing picture quality - cost her alot though!

Last Xmas she upgraded to this tops camera (cost her $1800 at the time), the Canon EOS300D (or something like that) which of course has been superceded in the last few months lol. We bought her this brilliant tripod as an Xmas pressie and it's fabulous, has enabled her to take fabulous panoramic shots that she has pieced together.

She has read alot of magazines, researched books and net etc. and become very knowledgeable when it comes to printing (she mostly does her own on her HP), photoshopping, and pixellation etc.

I suggest you read a few mags, research on the net, and get an idea as to what all the numbers mean when they discuss zoom and pixels etc (cos what they say they do and what they actually do are two different things).

Also I wouldn't give up my little Canon 80s zoom 35mm for the world - the picture quality, no matter how hard digital tries, just cannot match it for depth, colour perception and print quality imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2005, 01:42 PM   #14
big_pete
Sublime

ive got a Fuji Finepix S5000. has heaps of features, like full manual mode and 10x optical zoom

very happ with it for $400

or you could get the better model for about $500 which has more features and MegaPixels
Old 06-06-2005, 01:47 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Anything Sony is great, i have a DSC-P32 3.2 MP one and I love it. Idiotproof. My Gf has a Kodak one and I find it difficult to use, with my Sony I just point and shoot. Full video mode with sound too.

I paid about $500 for it over 6 months ago, I know it has almost halved in price since then.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:55 PM   #16
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The only people to have really made an effort with Panorama are Olympus - it's supported in every one of their cameras when using their xD cards and it wowrks very well. With a huge range to choose from I'd be probably considering:

OLYMPUS C-7070 WIDE ZOOM 7.0MP DIGITAL
-Wider vision greater excitment
-The first digital camera to offer the degree of Wide-angle capability experts demand
-Powerful 7.0 megapixel CCD
-4xOptical Zoom,1-3.5 Digital Zoom, 27mm wide-angle

Street prices put it just over your budget but it's also a lot of camera for the money.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2005, 10:05 AM   #17
RATT

Thanks everyone for your advise.

At this stage, pending a price I have decided the Canon Powershot S2 IS is the go.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042201canons2is.asp

But I will still be open to suggestions for a few more days.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2005, 10:23 AM   #18
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

my olympus died about a month ago...

got a quote to fix it....
$300 have to buy another one.... only problem is the shutter when opened will not activate the camera... SUCKS! cause i liek the camera!

anyway i am in the market now for a new one.. :
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2005, 01:09 PM   #19
MustangNicko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mmm well im looking at buying the new Canon Digi-SLR EOS 20D with a 18-55 lens. Might be a little bit out of your price range though.. I need it for more pro stuff. The PowershotPro1 is a great little digi-semi SLR, comes with 28-200mm lens and a KICKASS macro feature, also ultrafast aperture of f/2.4-3.5. Worth around 1200 but promotes awesome quality. My mate has one ive ive been fooling around with it a fair bit. Just not enough for me though.
MustangNicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2005, 01:15 PM   #20
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can vouch for Olympus too... I have a C-750UZ 4MP 10x Zoom and its great...
Old 07-06-2005, 07:31 PM   #21
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

I've sold my sony dsc-p32 today, and also looking, had my eyes on this camera.

http://panasonic.com.au/products/det...?objectID=2651
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post