Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-12-2007, 01:47 AM   #1
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default GTHO etc ponderings

As some may know, i'm big on music as well as cars, so when I was on one of my music forums and people were discussing vintage instruments and their ridiculous prices, someone made a point that got me thinking..

Now with vintage instruments that are well worn in and have that old school vibe, we tend to say they have 'mojo', or character. You know, some sort of history or heritage.

So anyways, someone made the point that how can people pay the most ridiculous amounts for an instrument that is 100% original down to the strings/stickers, that's never been played and just locked in the case, because they wanted that vintage 'mojo' for themselves.

Now let's apply that to the GT's. The main argument for their price after all is said and done, is that these cars have a racing history (yeah ok, maybe that general model does).. So, why do people pay the most for a car that's just driven from the dealership to someones shed? Where's the history in that? To me, that just makes it a hunk of metal with certain numbers on a tag, which someone thought might be worth something some day. Sure the cars were designed to race, but that doesn't mean by any means every last one was. What gives one GT that was taken straight from a dealer to someones lock up more history than perhaps another XW/Y that may not have had the right tag on it, but sure could have had more race history in the day, or more 'mojo' given to it over the years. My hardly collectable 68 XT wagon with bench seat and column shift probably has more mojo or vintage vibe than a lot of these cars that were just hidden away.

Does someone really want to pay all that cash for a race bred car that's never seen a track in it's life, just so they can say they have a piece of automotive racing history?

Thoughts..

Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 01:55 AM   #2
GTP290

its simple, it was the best car made in that era before the cars were bridled by the supercar scare and it was made in our own backyard and not an american or european import. Buying a pedigree race car is one thing, but then again buying something that has been cared for and never been abused is just as rare.
GTP290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 02:04 AM   #3
Steffo
LPG > You

It depends on mindset. There are all sorts of car fans. Personally, I like fast, fun to drive cars that are the pinnacle of what money can buy (or the money I have can buy anyway). And I like modern cars. Cars that always work, cars that steer and brake properly etc etc.

If I had $1m odd I'd never buy a GT-HO. I'd buy something like a Koenigsegg CCR ($1.3m), for example (fastest brand new car you can buy in Australia and legally drive on the road).

Or if I had say $100k (XY GT, non HO, money) I'd not even look at the old Ford... I'd get a Lotus Exige II ($106,990).

For me, collectables have no appeal because I'm not a collector. Never have been. For others, they have great appeal. Especially those who grew up when those cars were hauling on racetracks etc etc.

My two cents anyway.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're all old heaps to me anyways. Whether they are driven or have lived their life in a bubble. I don't like many old cars and few will get my attention.

Much the same as Steffo on this topic.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I often wonder why people who have no interest in these old Classic Musclecars keep questioning their market value, "collectability" or historic significance....

Old 16-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #6
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I often wonder why people who have no interest in these old Classic Musclecars keep questioning their market value, "collectability" or historic significance....
To feel better about high depreciation of their own car when the next model comes out ?

Not all old Falcons light my fire, i stumbled upon this "kit" yesterday

Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
To feel better about high depreciation of their own car when the next model comes out ?

NICE!!! "XC "GTHO" kit...
Im bracing myself for the flood of claims from XC owners now claiming they have a XC GTHO...!

Old 16-12-2007, 09:13 AM   #8
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unrestored low mileage GT's and HO's are a rare item.
There are plenty of restored cars but when you get to see very low mileage cars up close you can appreciate just how rare these cars are. These are the cars that dont make it to car shows or the Nationals. The public dont get to see this standard of GT very often.

When you see these cars, theres no dispute about what colour the blackouts are, where the stripes are positioned, where the paint dabs are located etc etc. They are untouched pristine examples.

So when you see a restored GT thats been used and enjoyed you can be assured that it no longer meets factory standards. Most restorations are based off other restored cars so small errors are passed on and duplicated. Then people stand at car shows and justify these modifications. So small changes become accepted.
Before you know it the cars are so far away from how they left the factory its not funny.

This is just a small part of why unrestored, preserved GT's and HO's are worth so much. They are factory correct in every way.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #9
nb_351
building the xe...

its like with anything collectible...
look at things like collectible money/coins etc, the rarer it is, the more money it commands... because people are after them...
as they get older, they get rarer...
saying that, my xe is rare, its a white sedan with blue interior, manual etc, its not like hens teeth or anything, but its certainly not popular... but that doesnt make it worht a quarter of a million dollars... cause its not a sought after model...
thats just the way it is...
something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay to have it...
i for one can appreciate the value and mystique of these cars, but would not pay the money they are commanding... there is plenty of other things i could buy for the money and still be happier... i think i would have buyers remorse if i bought one...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

And Peter Arcadipane was one of Fords stylists too, not one of his best works thats for sure.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 11:51 AM   #11
steamin63
old skool

Quote:

i remember seeing one of these [ or something very similar ] as a kid. hated it then and hate it now. and i own an xc.
Old 16-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #12
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPete
When you see these cars, theres no dispute about what colour the blackouts are, where the stripes are positioned, where the paint dabs are located etc etc. They are untouched pristine examples.

This is just a small part of why unrestored, preserved GT's and HO's are worth so much. They are factory correct in every way.
That's a fair point, didn't think of that one.

As for me feeling better about high depreciation of my own car, I don't think I have to worry about the next model coming out

I suppose it does depend on the person's mindset, I just find it strange people pay all that money for the history, when these particular examples would hardly have any at all. Remember i'm not talking about all GT/HO's, just these ones that haven't done anything.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 10:17 PM   #13
GTP290

its funny you mention your xt having history and mojo as you call it Van D. I agree with you in that regard, every time i see an old valiant or falcon or holden that is used as a daily driver, i cant help think how much history that vehicle has and has seen in its lifetime,especially when driven by there original owners, and the older the car is and owners are,the more amazing it is.
What price do you put on historical signifinance on these vehicles if they are not collecters items or sought after models, for instance i have a soft spot for old ek holdens as my father owned one when i was a child and i remember staring at the chrome plated sculpted dash and the bell type white lense front indicators. To me it brings back memories when i see these vehicles and i could probarbly put a value on that, but for someone who has no memories or connection with older cars id say these vehicles would be considered junk and old and some would go so far as to say they should be scraped because they are to old and dangerous to be on the road.
It is really a people driven market at the end of the day.
GTP290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 10:44 PM   #14
scoupedy

Its all about supply and demand...if a GT Ho in mint condition was for sale at say $5k then they would have thousands wanting to buy it, racing history has some bearing but not as much as you think.
If you tried to sell your Xt for say $10k then yhou would be lucky to find a buyer.

Now think of hot girl if you had twins and one has done heaps of laps around town and the other is a pristine virginal example which would you want? would you care if it didn't have a long history?
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 11:14 PM   #15
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That XC "phase 4" wouldnt be too bad if it had sideskirts and a rear bar.. otherwise it just looks like a backyard job.. and remove the roof spoiler lol
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post