Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #1
Starter Motor

Default RHD Mustangs Direct From US

What would you say about a new dealer in the US pushing out used Ford RHD Mustangs into AU ? That's my idea and I wanted to see what you guys think. Will it work. Pro/cons would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, what does a 2005 Mustang RHD with 50ish k's on it go for after all fees?

Thanks,

61782 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Absolutely love the latest retro stang, I dont think you or anybody else would have a problem selling them here.
Old 13-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

They need to be compliant with local regs, otherwise they'd require more work when they land.

How much does a used 2005 Muzzie sell for in Texas?
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Casablanca
carburettor

damn that would be nice
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
anakha

All depends on the price. If they were comparable to an XR8/GT I would be interested. The price Mustang Australia charges for them is outrageous and very poor value.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 061782
What would you say about a new dealer in the US pushing out used Ford RHD Mustangs into AU ? That's my idea and I wanted to see what you guys think. Will it work. Pro/cons would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, what does a 2005 Mustang RHD with 50ish k's on it go for after all fees?

Thanks,
I didn't think the Stang was made in RHD. So you'll be converting them? That can't be cheap.. and there are a few hurdles you have to jump in AUs to make them compliant.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
old_phoon

Might be worth talking to companies that already do this so you have some idea what work you have to do to produce an Aussie compliant car. There is a company in QLD that imports and converts late/current model corvettes.
Old 13-12-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death351
They need to be compliant with local regs, otherwise they'd require more work when they land.

How much does a used 2005 Muzzie sell for in Texas?
22,500 AUD.
There?
Old 13-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anakha
All depends on the price. If they were comparable to an XR8/GT I would be interested. The price Mustang Australia charges for them is outrageous and very poor value.
No kidding!!! May have to pay more in the end with the LCT becuase of the value at customs, but I am pretty sure I could convert to RHD with AU Design Rules for much much cheaper.

About $50,000 AUD shipped minus the taxes. Fair price for a 2005-06 RHD w/50K's?
Old 13-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #10
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

It's hard to compare, as there may only be a handul of 2005's in the country, and few of those for sale.

To compare, a 2004 GT (SVT s/c'd) with 71K on the clock (kms not miles) was $76K. A 2006, with GT body kit, Saleen supercharger/suspension/brakes with 12,500 kms was $146K.

If you could land these at $50K shipped, plus whatever import duties - I'd say you would sell a quite a few, and throw a huge spanner into the used market where modern mustangs are concerned.
Old 13-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #11
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Have had the privillage to drive an 06 Shelby GT-H Stang in Texas for 1 week. I too love the retro modern theme and it has a properly loud exhaust (which in Aus will have to be ditched dye to the laws Death351 has mentioned).

I feel the price is due to supply and demand as well as rarity. The reason why late model stangs costs $80k+ in Aus is due to the rarity. Personally after driving one I would not pay the sort of prices we are seeing here.

As a guide you can get a brand new Mustang GT with a 4.6L 300hp (225kw) V8 for around $29k USD. For this price it is top value and in the states you are tripping over Mustang tuning shops that will cater every need. Infact the 4.6L V8 3v won an engine of the year award as you cannot get 300hp for a cheaper price.
After driving one I have to say the overall package is a reflection of the price.
Old 13-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #12
Starter Motor

The only reason I have not already started is becuase of the AU design rules (research) and I'm not sure that the AU dealers would try to find a way to stop me. :togo: It would take a lot of money out of peoples pockets..... but the consumers would like me. Thanks for the response. Figured a AU forum would be the place to turn. Look for more to come.
Old 13-12-2007, 06:19 PM   #13
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

theres a few driving around here in hong kong, have seen a couple of brand spankers, and they are rhd.
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #14
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
The only reason I have not already started is becuase of the AU design rules (research) and I'm not sure that the AU dealers would try to find a way to stop me. :togo: It would take a lot of money out of peoples pockets..... but the consumers would like me. Thanks for the response. Figured a AU forum would be the place to turn. Look for more to come.
There's bugger all the existing importers could do to stop you, but you really do need to do your research regarding compliance. I would love to see you make it happen.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 06:43 PM   #15
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had the same idea mate, great minds think alike. I contacted ford, and while I didn't get a clear answer, from what I understood, you can order any popular (stang would be popular) model in RHD. Just give them a ring and find out for sure but that's what I was told. Sorry, I deleted the email.
Jack91 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 06:44 PM   #16
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh, yeah, and I had a look at shipping costs a while back too, and it'd only cost about $2000 to get a 20foot container over here. A big car yard in victoria does it.
Old 13-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #17
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Does the car yard have a name? One day I plan to drag a mid-50's effie out this way.
Old 13-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #18
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death351
Does the car yard have a name? One day I plan to drag a mid-50's effie out this way.
Umm, sorry mate I was it in an old Unique Cars mag, probably about 2 and half months ago. I THINK, not sure though, but it was in Melbourne, from memory. The ad went something like "Got a car or part in the US? We'll get it here for you for $3000", not that that will help you in any way, I just remembered it so yeah.
Old 14-12-2007, 08:43 PM   #19
Jayden
Graphic Artist

You may have to do it via Taiwan on a speed boat at midnight to get it past the officials here. Every time I think of the laws we have it, just makes me angry, theres no common sense im afraid when it comes to what we can and cant do.
Old 14-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #20
AusM
AusMotorsport

Mustang Motorsport have an 05 GT Premium, full conversion, ADR compliant for $86k: http://tinyurl.com/ysnelm

Another importer:
http://www.americanmusclecars.com.au/transport.htm

There's a few places in Aus doing conversions now, and the Dynacorn shells will be on the street shortly...
http://www.musclecarfactory.com.au/MCFNew1967FB.asp
http://www.rrs-online.com.au/

In the end, the popularity will come down to price I'm sure...
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 12:02 AM   #21
GSfalcon500

Its a shame that we cant keep them LHD here,cause you could buy one for 25 k ship it and tax it and would still be under 40 k. Like you can drive a older than 25 year car LHD here and i see a heap of new LHD mobile cranes driving around, so driving LHD cant be a safety thing its all got to do with the local car manufacturing industry being over protected by the government, when it collapses i think we will be able to import a LHD car from europe or America and drive it that way here.When i went to Japan a few years ago i saw Mercedies BMW Porsche corvette mustang driving around LHD but then again they arent worried about their car industry being over run by personal imports as much as Australia.
GSfalcon500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #22
AusM
AusMotorsport

Our car industry is pretty small here on the world scale, and even now Aus manufacturers really need an export deal to make certain product viable. If the Gov't was to go easier on imports (more than they already have), would Aussies be happy with the cutbacks necessary? Plant and production line closures, some models terminated, model longevity extended, less R&D...

(opinions are my own, not necessarily those of the magazine)
Old 17-12-2007, 09:16 AM   #23
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFdesign
Our car industry is pretty small here on the world scale, and even now Aus manufacturers really need an export deal to make certain product viable. If the Gov't was to go easier on imports (more than they already have), would Aussies be happy with the cutbacks necessary? Plant and production line closures, some models terminated, model longevity extended, less R&D...

(opinions are my own, not necessarily those of the magazine)
Thanks for the reply. I like to see both sides of the spectrum.

Someone in the US moving less than 100 cars a year to AU would really not make any impact on AU production lines or terminate existing models. In fact, it will lower the price of specialty vehicles for consumers. Who can be against that?? The only poeple this will hurt will be the poeple who are overcharging on RHD converted imports. There should be only a few companies aginst the idea.

As far as the model years being extended there would be no impact becuase it's not on a full volume scale. It would be SEVS compliant, which limits the importer to 25-100 cars a year. The model changes will occur just like they do in the states. No impact on R&D whatsoever. As far as the AU government being easy on importers...... Try importing new model vehicle from the states and make it roadworthy for more than a year without paying 85K+
Old 17-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #24
AusM
AusMotorsport

Quote:
Someone in the US moving less than 100 cars a year to AU would really not make any impact on AU production lines
True, I was talking more generally about legislative changes that would open up the market, not small business.

Quote:
As far as the AU government being easy on importers...
I said 'easier' - I'm sure it isn't easy, and that's what supports local goods. Our import tariffs have dropped hugely in the last decade though - cars which used to have 10% duty dropped to 5%, with some luxury vehicles having the duty dropped to 10% from something ridiculous before that (30%?).

I'm sure that's contributed to more people driving a BMW/Audi/Chrysler that may have otherwise taken up a Ford Fairlane or LTD. With demand dropping to near zero, Ford Aus stopped production of these models recently (last Fairlane off the line a few days ago).

Some argue that this gives drivers more choice, which it does, but there has to be a fine balance...
Old 17-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #25
ShallowCrossing
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_eb_fairmont
Had the same idea mate, great minds think alike. I contacted ford, and while I didn't get a clear answer, from what I understood, you can order any popular (stang would be popular) model in RHD. Just give them a ring and find out for sure but that's what I was told. Sorry, I deleted the email.
Did you get this answer from Ford US or Ford Oz??? There is no way that you can get any popular Ford from the factory in US in RHD! The production line isn't set up for RHD models to start with. Why do you think Ford Oz had to source the F-series from Brazil and can't get them any more?
ShallowCrossing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post