Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
F6T
Has V8 envy

Default BA/BF ss Computer Cover install - anyone done this?

Hey guys,

Has anyone out there installed these computer covers on their BA/BF's??

I got mine today - and using a hack saw blade, cut the screwdriver slits into the tops of the rivets to unscrew them out.

These things are in there seriously tight! I've tried everything to budge them and can't. Even used a high power drill on slow reverse and that didn't work either. If I go any harder, the tops are threatening to give way meaning that I won't be able to get any purchase with a screw driver.

How have others done this? Do they screw these suckers down with lock tight or something? It shouldn't be this hard should it?

Haaalp!

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

If they are like the PP ones there's no need to pull apart your computer, the covers go over the computer, hence the name "cover".

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
F6T
Has V8 envy

nope - the directions say that you have to remove the existing rivets, place the cover on, then screw it on using the allenhead bolts (provided).

You can't attach the cover unless you can get rid of the existing bolts that have the rivet heads.

Nizpro 4" exhaust
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

Old 24-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
[dave]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

drill them out maybe ?
[dave] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
F6T
Has V8 envy

OK - the existing bolts are like normal bolts only, they have a rivet type head on them - so there is no existing provision for a falthead/philipshead or allen key head to unscrew them.

That's why the instructions say, using a hacksaw blade, cut slits so that you can use a flathead screw driver to get purchase. Once removed, you can use the allenhead replacement bolts to reattach the computer with the cover. Th bloody screws won't come lose though.

Someone out there must have done this. - they sell alot of them.

Nizpro 4" exhaust
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

Old 24-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

I've done plenty. Best way i found was to use a pointed set of vice grips,a good brand set not cheapies . Grab onto the edge and unscrew them. Not a lot to grab on but it does work.
You need to run a 6mmx1mm tap down the holes helps too as sometimes the new screws are tight.
You could if drilling carefully drill the heads off, lift the computer out of the way and screw whats left out .
They are tricky to do but get easier the more you do.
gregaust is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
Rangas GTP

What make is the computer cover? I fitted Pole Position ECU cover and no rivets needed to be removed. Cover is held on with velcro strips on the underside, can be removed easily with a bit of pressure.
Rangas GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
F6T
Has V8 envy

Far out - they don't tell you all this in the bloody advert - this is ridiculous!

All i've got is a bloody screw driver!

Nizpro 4" exhaust
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

Old 24-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #9
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine was easy as anything. I used a set of good quality lock grips ... worked pretty easy.

I'm suprised no-one has bought the PWR computer covers. Very attractive ... Unlike some of the others out there!
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post