Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Default Removing the gas from Aircon, the legal way

Just a question, Wondering if I can buy a kit or gas transfer thingy me bob... as I don't think the EPA would like me spreading it in the atmosphere .. although "what they don't know, can't hurt them" haha

need to remove all the air con gas, so i can remove the whole unit.

kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
big fella
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
Just a question, Wondering if I can buy a kit or gas transfer thingy me bob... as I don't think the EPA would like me spreading it in the atmosphere .. although "what they don't know, can't hurt them" haha

need to remove all the air con gas, so i can remove the whole unit.
The simple answer is NO. To evacuate the system you need to be a registered and qualified person. There are all sorts of protocols that need to be followed to legally decant the gas from your system. The chances of you being caught are small, although the fines if caught are rather hefty.

Not that I would condone such action, but in the interests of your safety, should you choose to decant to atmosphere, wear gloves and face protection. Frostbite, or freezeburn, are a real possibility when playing with this stuff. If you are determined to do it, I would recommend cracking a union on a pipe, rather than trying to play with the schrader valve. Let it seep out slowly rather than in a rush. Make sure the area is very well ventilated, the gas is heavy and will displace oxygen in a confined space.
big fella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
xtwagon
Old School XT

Just go to an aircon joint and get them to properly evacuate the system, should not cost too much as they are then keeping the gas to filter and recycle.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/xtwagon/index.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralliart
a toll bar hit my car because of my annoying padels
xtwagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

cant move car, half the engine is out, no interior, etc. etc. i just unbolted the compressor lines and nothing came out.. thankfully lol.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Just hacksaw the line and let it out. There is probably stuff all left in it anyway.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

*Inserts warning for mixing R12 and heat*
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've always just pushed the pin inside the valve and let her rip, with all due respect to the EPA people whats next, plumbing up our butts next time we want to fart?
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
i've always just pushed the pin inside the valve and let her rip, with all due respect to the EPA people whats next, plumbing up our butts next time we want to fart?
Agreed.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #9
old_mate
Smash the Boost

lol if the methane from your backside is proven to have the same nasties R12 does I'll personally ask the EPA to plug you

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 10:44 PM   #10
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
cant move car, half the engine is out, no interior, etc. etc. i just unbolted the compressor lines and nothing came out.. thankfully lol.
nice one
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #11
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
lol if the methane from your backside is proven to have the same nasties R12 does I'll personally ask the EPA to plug you
R12 is "PRIUS" compared to some exhaust emissions i have seen.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
old_mate
Smash the Boost

indeed. Hope your all running cat converters!

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #13
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
There's a new thread right there.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:48 PM   #14
axe246
blueprint xr

undo the bolt on the condenser slowly .......and you will hear a shhhhhhhh. then undo it more and more till the shhhhhh goes. there you go no more gas. guys just imagie that your car was just in a small head on collision and you condenser had a burst ......thats sort the same thing hey... the gas goes into the atmosphere. P.S. i dont see insurance companies buying carbon credit to counter the damage those cars cause to the atmosphere. happy ozone
axe246 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 01:45 AM   #15
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do what I did..
Drive home late at night and when a fox runs across the road in the rain...

PResto no gas
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:11 AM   #16
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
hell no... my car was built for leaded!!! HAHAHAHA!!!! cop that!!!
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:39 AM   #17
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe246
undo the bolt on the condenser slowly .......and you will hear a shhhhhhhh. then undo it more and more till the shhhhhh goes. there you go no more gas. guys just imagie that your car was just in a small head on collision and you condenser had a burst ......thats sort the same thing hey... the gas goes into the atmosphere. P.S. i dont see insurance companies buying carbon credit to counter the damage those cars cause to the atmosphere. happy ozone
Just out of curiosity, why should insurance companies buy the carbon credits? They insure you against accidents, they dont encourage them. Surely the associated hypothetical carbon credits are the responsibility of drivers or manufacturers.

As for the other, sure an accident releases the gas, its kind of unavoidable. If you broke a side window would you recommend dumping broken glass in the gutter outside your home? That hits the road in an accident too.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post