Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #121
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hy_boi

Btw when was the last time u talked down the chick at woolies for cheaper cornflakes
Big difference between a 20k+ car and a $4 pack of cereal. :
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #122
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hy_boi

The world would be a better place if everything was fixed price.
Is that right!
Ask Richard Pratt, i'm sure he would disagree.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #123
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you are going to buy your first car, is it really worth checking out the dealers? Or just go with private sales?
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #124
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
lol this will change in due course.
Wow long time no see. Hows things?

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 01:35 PM   #125
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some people dont know how to sell, which ****es me off because im good at it but i need a f*ckin diploma or sales certificates and all that sh!t.. sales traineeship - the hell with that, i cant afford to live on $8 an hour.

Last edited by Fev; 09-01-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #126
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
They gave him a price, which he wasn't happy with, and he told them. They said come back if someone does better and we will talk. He said no, if he got a better price elsewhere he would buy it.

I would have to say from a sales persons perspective this is what bugs me about a customer.

At the end of the day, if we have a chance of doing a deal on the spot for "the right price" and it's not going to cost us money to do the deal, then certainly we will do it.

HOWEVER

Some people need to understand that a dealership is still a business where profit needs to be made. Profit on the dealer level, profit on the managers level, profit on the sales persons level. It is not the harshest thing for us to be trying to make money because thats what a) The manufacturer b) The franchisee c) The sales department (manager) and d) The sales person are here to do.

Yes, by all means work out a deal.... but you'll get far better service if you treat us like humans to begin with.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #127
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are good dealers and bad dealers.

When we got the VTII at Geoff Brady back in 2000, there were several salesmen. They were all very good with explaining everything etc. There was one guy who was a lardo who wouldn't give us the time of day. Bad reflection on the dealership? No...just one jerk who spoils the broth.

My friend bought a new Pajero yesterday. His family still have their 20 year old Paj but it's well worn....cracked head gasket and everything...drinks coolant.
Anyhow, he wanted a Diesel Manual...since 95% of people buy 4WDs to go shopping and drop their kids off at school, impossible to find. Most dealers tried to locate one for him. He also looked at Prados. He walked away from Toyota as the dealer didn't know the difference between a Prado and Landcruiser.

In the end, he went to Knox Mitsubishi (I referred him there) and he got exactly what he wanted. He said the dealer showed him everything, gave him a proper test drive, allowed his father to come and test as well and although haggling the final price was hard, they both agreed and it's all good. He was happy with his choice.

I think that as much as you may want something, don't buy off a dealer who is half-arsed and not interested. Go somewhere where your patronage is appreciated and you receive proper service so when you return there for any reason, you will be welcome, and not merely pushed aside.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #128
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
some people dont know how to sell, which ****es me off because im good at it but i need a f*ckin diploma or sales certificates and all that sh!t.. sales traineeship - the hell with that, i cant afford to live on $8 an hour.
If you are indeed good then you should try and get a position at a dealership or whatever becomes available. You will only know then.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #129
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

The Prado is a Landcruiser.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #130
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
He also looked at Prados. He walked away from Toyota as the dealer didn't know the difference between a Prado and Landcruiser.
Technically speaking the Prado is a Landcruiser as mentioned... but I find this hard to believe.. Perhaps he really felt bothered by the fact there'd likely be a 3-4 month wait for the diesel models?

I'd be interested to hear what dealership that was... even if you PM to me in confidence..

Last edited by Poetic Justice; 09-01-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #131
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

My friend bought a new Pajero yesterday. His family still have their 20 year old Paj but it's well worn....cracked head gasket and everything...drinks coolant.
Anyhow, he wanted a Diesel Manual...since 95% of people buy 4WDs to go shopping and drop their kids off at school, impossible to find. Most dealers tried to locate one for him. He also looked at Prados. He walked away from Toyota as the dealer didn't know the difference between a Prado and Landcruiser.
you do realise they are actually Landcruiser Prado's.
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #132
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Years ago, my Dad went to a car yard with his heart set on buying a second hand Mercedes for my mum as our family car.
He turned up after work in somewhat grubby shorts, a shirt and work boots.

The salesman would barely give him the time of day and scoffed at his offer to pay cash for the car.

Dad got his card and left, then called the manager the next day and organised the sale over the phone.

When he turned up a few days after that and handed over cash, the salesman he originally spoke to was made to come out with the manager and apologise for the way he'd treated him.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #133
Poetic Justice

Yeah I can't say I get this attitude some people are saying about sales people, with regards to turning away people in tradey type clothes.

Again, it's hard to understand given that I am a Toyota salesman and we sell a shitload of Hiluxes...

We'll talk to anyone who walks in...
Old 09-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #134
VSSII

Having been on both sides of the fence many many years ago there's no doubt there are dopes to be found but some customers expectations and behaviour were just unbelievable. You'd think they thought they were buying a million dollar yacht! Having sold new Mercedes, Toyota, Mitsubishi etc I found the worst customers were those looking at your average family car or those who wanted a Benz but couldn't. (The old 'empty barrels make the most noise' comment rung true here). They were of the firm belief that everyones a shark after their first born and 10's of 1000's profit are made on every sale.

It was so much easier selling the more expensive cars. Buyers had experience in business and knew a thing or two about diplomacy and had more reasonable expectations. The only problem was getting them out of the lease balloon payments on their trade ins!

I couldn't have done it for a career though. There are just too many rude customers who don't have a clue. Well that and the variable income! You come to work having a bad day at home like everyone does once or twice and end up being short with a time waster (of which there are many) and boom! You're getting flamed on some internerd forum!

Just as a side, any salesman who judged a person purely on their dress would not last 5 minutes.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #135
VSSII

I should also add that some dealerships were known to attract the idiot element in salespeople and they often were attracted by idiot managers as everyone knows everyone in the industry. I was just reminded of this watching a stupid ad for Cardiff Toyota. (I'm not say they're stupid! Just their ads with that tool Robbo!) I chose to steer clear of offices such as this so my opinions may not be accurate of all dealers for those that wish to comment.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #136
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
how do you know your good at it then? It's not as easy as one might think from the outside looking in.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2008, 11:24 PM   #137
DUB
Starter Motor

WOW that took ages to read through and digest.
It wasn't hard to guess before the end of the 1st page it would end up as a dump for anyone that has been offended by an arrogant saleman, and quite rightly there was the other side of the coin with salesmen that have been jaded by arrogant customers.
To qualify myself I buy new cars every 3 years for work, and I use them in my job as a consultant quoting for clients in their own homes. I deal with every type of person and their buying techniques, so have learnt a lot with how to deal with this and make a living.
Without re-quoting every good point made by both sides it really just comes down to respect. As a buyer respect the fact the salesman has a job to do so help him do it. Tell them you are in the market and want to make it happen. If they ask the question about "buying today" ask them if "it is absolutely necessary that it has to be today?"
It helps to humanize the conversation a bit. Break the cycle some salesman get trapped in from dealing with various people doing the same thing every day. If you can present yourself as a smart discerning customer that wants to be served and have all your questions answered by just that one salesman then they are more than likely to see you in a different light. If they are having a bad day or you do not find them to your liking then finish up quickly. It's not personal, it's business after all.

Salesmen generally need to try to not book read a client too much and actually providing service, (really good non-pushy service) because if the client is happy with all the salesman has told them and that they seem to be looking after their best interests then the final price is really not the top issue. If the salesman has done his/her job properly then they have every right to ask for the order. A buyer needs to see this and realise it isn't being pushy, but in a way what the salesman is asking is "are you completely satisfied with what is being offered?" If yes then go through with it. If no then say why.

The thing that comes up all through this whole thread is attitude. Only because it's the primary way we determine how a person perceives us and how they are going to treat us. Use it to your advantage.
DUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #138
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXO_8
you do realise they are actually Landcruiser Prado's.
Actually, no, I didn't realise because I don't care about 4WDs. My friend is the one who was looking but still, the dealer didn't know the difference.

I do not know which dealership it was.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #139
Casablanca
carburettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF XR8
WTF :
dude that was what the emoticon was used for lol :
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #140
Silentsfastcar

lol you can negoiate with everyone!! i always talk down my kfc meals mind you im buying $60 worth each time (thats a big sale for em) and my regular line is.. i only go $55 and the guy just swipes his staff card works awesome.

but had a ****a salesman at christies beach ford in adelaide. said the same thing, i said yes got the price down, and wanted me to sign the dotted line and i walked away :P got the price i was after though. came back 2 days later with $19500 and offered him that for the $19999 deal i talked him down too and he took it.

Moral is just say yes i am, then get the price, and walk away after that if you are not happy with the price.