Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2008, 03:15 AM   #1
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Insurance against loss of licence

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...rom=widget_rss

Quote:
IN an Australian first, an insurance company will allow motorists to insure themselves against losing their licences.

Ezy Insure will offer what it calls loss of licence assistance, covering drivers for up to $1000 a month to offset the expense of alternative transport while their licence is suspended, Fairfax reports.

The policy was designed for good drivers who fell victim to revenue-raising, National Underwriting Agencies spokesman Noel Johns said.

"Thousands of Australians are being penalised for minor transgressions each day and the loss of their licence can really affect their work and family life," Mr Johns said.

"There are over 10.5 million registered passenger vehicles in Australia and the majority of the drivers of those vehicles are trying to do the right thing.

"But with the increase of fixed cameras and other devices, people are getting tired of being booked for a few kilometres over."

VicRoads figures show 33,082 full-licence drivers had 12 or more demerit points at June 30 last year.

A further 12,132 had 11 demerit points and 22,844 others had 10 demerit points.

Victorian drivers can lose up to 12 demerit points before their licence is suspended for a three-month period.

The Victorian government and police deny speed cameras are used to raise revenue.
Could be usefull for those that tend to lose their licence.

Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
woteva

I don't agree with that at all. I find it extremely difficult how a good driver could accumulate enough points in three years to revenue raising to lose their license. 12 points is plenty imo.
woteva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that depends on how much time you spend on the road I rack up over 60 000Ks a year and although I went for a long time with no bookings I had a bad trot a while ago and have 9 points ATM ( I get 3 back in 3 weeks and 3 in march) they were all between 2 and 4 am in a cab and the local cops tell us it's ok to go a bit quick so we can get the drunks off the streets ASAP. but occasionally out of town cops come in and will book us for even 6 or 7 Ks over ( when we are just about the only cars on the road) to fill their quota.
I have never been booked by a local cop ( and yes they do book cabbies if they drive badly / stuoidly as some do) and they all tell me be sensible and safe and all is good late at night.
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

You wanna hear something really funny, my French friends tell me that their points can be transferred and SOLD....

So if you were very wealthy, you were almost immune to losing your licence as you would just buy more.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by woteva
I don't agree with that at all. I find it extremely difficult how a good driver could accumulate enough points in three years to revenue raising to lose their license. 12 points is plenty imo.

there are plenty of examples out there where we hear of old drivers out there that have never been booked in 50 years now because of cameras and radar they get done for drifting a few kay over the limit.not what i would call speeding just revenue raising.

a good example was my father came to sydney for a meeting or something hes 63.at the time he had been driving his motor home round australia.he came to sydney for two days and borrowed my aunties car to drive around instead of the motor home.he had to travel to thenorth shore for the two days from east subs.three or so weeks later my aunty gets two speeding fines for speeding at the same spot on the two consecutive days.he is no dope and may have not seen the sign in either traffic or being in unfamiliar circumstances.he does not break the law and abides by the rules and would have been driving in what he though was a safe and appropriate manner but six or more pionts gone for driving in a safe manner.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
TadKa
Wait? What?

I must be really lucky because I've been driving for 8 years and drove about 200k km and have never got a point. I'm an aggressive driver and speed (10%ish) everywere. I've had a few speed cameras flash at me but never got a ticket. Apart from one that I got off because they put the wrong date on it. Actually I forgot I did get done a few months ago but was given a warning. I rear-ended a car once (p-plate/crap tires/wet road) and they let me off. got lucky. In Tas you don't get pinged for doing a few clicks over. That would be really frustrating.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Ahhhhh I'd be reading the fineprint of anything a mob like this does... I find it difficult to believe that they can offer insurance to just anyone... I reckon if you have a history of speeding they won't insure you - otherwise they'd go out of business.

Here's a chunk of their PDS:

Quote:
Exclusions/Conditions What We Do Not Cover
We will not pay claims in respect of:
1. If in respect of the insured:
(a) they have not obtained the age of 21 years: or
(b) they are not the holder of a full/unrestricted driving Licence valid in Australia: or
(c) they have not held a full /unrestricted driving Licence for a period of at least 2 years: or
(d) they are not a permanent resident of Australia: or
(e) they have at any time prior to commencement of the policy or at any future point received a demerit point penalty
in excess of 3 points.
2. if the incident from which any claim arises occurs before the commence date of this policy.
3. in respect of any claim arising outside of Australia.
4. if the insured has at the commencement of this policy been served with a summons or any other process alleging an
offence which may on conviction result in their penalty points exceeding twelve.
5. for that period of suspension that exceeds three months
6. the cost incurred as a result of the insured being temporally or permanently prevented from driving as a result of any
driving offences incurring more that three demerit points.
7. the cost incurred as a result of the insured being temporally or permanently prevented from driving as a result of any
driving offences that were not issued by speed cameras regardless of the amount of demerit point penalty.
8. if the premium in respect of any policy is not paid.
9. in respect of any claim arising from fire.
And

Quote:
What We Protect You Against.
We agree to pay for the reasonable cost for alternate transport arrangements made by you during the time of your licence
suspension. Provided that the demerit points accumulated in triggering your licence suspension were only related to
driving offences incurring no more the three (3) demerit points as issued by speed cameras. All other driving offences
where demerit points are issued are specifically excluded and not covered by this policy.
We do not condone speeding and we are certainly not encouraging you to speed however with the variety of different
speed limits and enforcement cameras on our ever expanding road network, we can all become confused of the imposed
speed restrictions. Even the most safety conscious driver can have a momentary lapse of concentration and get flashed.
If you already have a four (4) demerit point driving offence (or higher) we are unable to cover you. If you subsequently
receive a four (4) demerit point driving offence (or higher) we are unable to continue to provide cover.
Find the rest on lolassist.com.au

Last edited by Hunter; 10-01-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by woteva
I agree. In 8 years of driving, 30,000km a year across multiple states including 3 years in Victoria and never a point lost. I've driven more than my fair share of very high powered Turbos too and currently an XR8... I'm not immune but barely holding onto my licence isn't exactly hard...
Old 10-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #9
woteva

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
there are plenty of examples out there where we hear of old drivers out there that have never been booked in 50 years now because of cameras and radar they get done for drifting a few kay over the limit.not what i would call speeding just revenue raising.

a good example was my father came to sydney for a meeting or something hes 63.at the time he had been driving his motor home round australia.he came to sydney for two days and borrowed my aunties car to drive around instead of the motor home.he had to travel to thenorth shore for the two days from east subs.three or so weeks later my aunty gets two speeding fines for speeding at the same spot on the two consecutive days.he is no dope and may have not seen the sign in either traffic or being in unfamiliar circumstances.he does not break the law and abides by the rules and would have been driving in what he though was a safe and appropriate manner but six or more pionts gone for driving in a safe manner.

Yeah I agree. But if you're only drifting a few kays over and get busted you're only going to lose 1 or 2 points. You need to get pinged half a dozen times or more to lose your license. I got 3 speeding fines in a week about 4 years ago but still only accumulated 4 points. You'd have to be a pretty persistent speeder to lose your license that way. The only people this will benefit are the speeders that go out and get caught doing 20km/h or so over the limit. I'd hardly call that straying over the limit a little.
woteva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
The Victorian government and police deny speed cameras are used to raise revenue.
Why would they admit to it? :togo:
Old 10-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #11
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I agree. In 8 years of driving, 30,000km a year across multiple states including 3 years in Victoria and never a point lost.
I too have never lost a point in my life, and I average well over 40,000 klm a year.
90% of that was in QLD, the rest was in the NT while they still had open speed limits.

Cheers

Darran
Old 10-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Thats BS!
There is just no way that "good drivers" can lose 12 points in 3 years. if they do then they cant be "good drivers"
P-Platers have to go 3 years on 4 points (QLD) and 5 points (VIC) they are the only ones who could use revenue raising as an excuse to losing their license

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
mattl
Live Life To Full BOOOST!

Yeh I can't understand how you can lose 12 points in 3 years and still be a good, safe driver!! Like Swan just said, P Platers are the only ones who i can understand..They got 4 points to last 2 years here in Adelaide! Even then it's pretty harsh..because simple things like only showing 1 P Plate = 3 points, Not Indicating early enough = 3 points..ridiculous things like that and your left on 1 point for 2 years!
mattl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #14
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know why people are calling BS. The $1000 a month isn't for that person to continue to have a licence, it's simply a fund to allow them to go about their everyday life. They still effectively lose their licence for the specified period.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #15
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
I don't know why people are calling BS. The $1000 a month isn't for that person to continue to have a licence, it's simply a fund to allow them to go about their everyday life. They still effectively lose their licence for the specified period.
thats a good point dan, i think the main issue is that i think $1000 a month is way over the top, maybe $200-$300 a month, but if someone is stupid enough to lose 12 points in 3 years, i just dont see how they can be classed as "good drivers"

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post