Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Towing a Registerd Vehicle!

Most people probably know this (But I didn’t). Thought it might help others to know!

If your vehicle is registered on a trailer being towed or parked anywhere but private property and your towing it, It can be defected/inspected and has to be road legal.

Example, My mate races his HQ race car, fully engineered and road worthy as per the engineers report. On the way to eastern creek not long ago, he was pulled up and the police went over his race car. His car is 100% as best it can be as the report stats. He was told after 1hr of going his HQ he’s right to go now!

IMO this is probably a big waste of time, But rules are rules and need to be followed.

Just thought if you dont already know, some people might like this info, this being in NSW, not sure of other states!

Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Now THATS being picky!!

Must've been a quiet day on the roads for them.
Or they wanted to check out his race car because they worked for an opposing team who he's beaten and they wanted his secrets.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So a car that has been in an accident and is being taken on a trailer to be repaired has to be roadworthy or you will get fined?

Think they were lying to your mate....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
^kicker^

yeah i dunno about how they would go if your car was damaged on the trailer??

but i do remember a while ago that quite a few people got hassled at spring nats with the cops handing out defects for some of the cars on trailers
^kicker^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^kicker^
but i do remember a while ago that quite a few people got hassled at spring nats with the cops handing out defects for some of the cars on trailers
an old mate of mine was one of them but he was tricked....they said to him that they needed to check something on the trailer(im not sure of the exact details), and asked him to take the car off the trailer.....so he complied and they dicked the car.

his car is usually 100% legal, but for the weekend he'd set it up in race trim (pipes/springs and shocks/ big rears and front runners) so it was obviously not street legal, hence trailering it
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
EvilChief
Boost Addict

they normally allowed to inspect the trailer. the vehicle to be towed is normally towed for good reason, however, in order to avoid this predicament you can remove number plates for the duration of the transport (which reminds me, there is clause i read somewhere in relation to removing number plates while towing, just cant remember where)
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
So a car that has been in an accident and is being taken on a trailer to be repaired has to be roadworthy or you will get fined?

Think they were lying to your mate....
Thats what I said, who knows really! If thats the case though, what a wastes of police time! Dosnt make sense?
Old 12-01-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChief
they normally allowed to inspect the trailer. the vehicle to be towed is normally towed for good reason, however, in order to avoid this predicament you can remove number plates for the duration of the transport (which reminds me, there is clause i read somewhere in relation to removing number plates while towing, just cant remember where)

Yeah, understand fully with inspecting the TRAILER worthiness. That does make sense, and if the trailer wasnt up to scratch then thats good to defect this type of thing.

Thats what he does from now on, no plates on the car. But as you said if they were to check, they then would have a issue for "not displaying plates"
Old 12-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca23
Yeah, understand fully with inspecting the TRAILER worthiness. That does make sense, and if the trailer wasnt up to scratch then thats good to defect this type of thing.

Thats what he does from now on, no plates on the car. But as you said if they were to check, they then would have a issue for "not displaying plates"
yes and no ...

if he were to drive the vehicle without plates he can be fined, but since he is not operating the vehicle without plates it is not illegal
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
Kryton

is anyone going to look on the net and see if it is a law in NSW?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #11
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i carry cars for a living, first ive of heard of this......
EF302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #12
fmc351
let it burn

Its nonsense, not true in and of itself. Not saying the copper didnt claim it to be, just saying it isnt true.

The guy sucked into taking his car off the trailer following a police command shouldnt be so averse to speaking with solicitors. Following police commands to move a vehicle is a complete defence against drink driving, you can be too drunk to stand and still not be guilty of drink driving if a police officer orders you to move a vehicle in that state. Cant see how they can stick you with a defective vehicle if the police force you to place it directly on the road.

The only thing that needs to be roadworthy and registered etc in these cases is the car doing the towing, and the trailer. The only reason they could have is if by the owners own admission or evidence from the facts suggests he intends to drive it on a road and they have reason to believe the vehicle is defective. Im not sure this last is even true, by that logic they could technically defect it in your garage.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fully agree with you flappist
on the main you wouldnt have your licenced car on a car trailor if it was fully road worthy/compliant

you'd be driving it with enjoyment

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #14
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

quite wrong ,but you never know someone might of ****ed the bloke off. think dirt bikes ,tractors ,boats etc load of c..p
Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #15
VSSII

2 problems here. 1. The incident happened in NSW but regarding some replies traffic law differs from state to state. And 2, The post topic info comes from 'my mate'. I'm sorry it's nothing personal but I find these unique or unusual incidents always happen to mates or mates of mates i.e. third hand. I'd be amazed at any police who would be prepared to look over a car for a whole 60 minutes. FYI that would be a 60 minute video file they would have to download at the end of shift! 60 minutes! On a pre ADR27A HQ! Are you sure old mate hasn't had run ins with the police for matters a little more serious than traffic?
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #16
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
2 problems here. 1. The incident happened in NSW but regarding some replies traffic law differs from state to state. And 2, The post topic info comes from 'my mate'. I'm sorry it's nothing personal but I find these unique or unusual incidents always happen to mates or mates of mates i.e. third hand. I'd be amazed at any police who would be prepared to look over a car for a whole 60 minutes. FYI that would be a 60 minute video file they would have to download at the end of shift! 60 minutes! On a pre ADR27A HQ! Are you sure old mate hasn't had run ins with the police for matters a little more serious than traffic?
Exactly why I thought post on here to have a discussion. IMO its a big waste of time true or not. I wasnt there and it is 3rd hand, chinese whispers does make changes to storys, haha!

I do a bit of towing for mates with higly modded 4wds for comps that are registered, but almost most defintly not roadworthy(38" tyres sticking miles out each guard). The regos just for comp entry! Never had a problem. There usually is police presence at these events, checking the Towing vehicle and tralier! Never had dramas or been told that there could b probs with wots on the trailer

Must be a MYTH :evil3: