Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
^kicker^

Default Who has been to Fiji ????

Ok guys and girls,
i know it might be a bit of a wierd question... but who has been to fiji ?
Theres a chance i might be moving there to work for about 3months. (waiting on a phone call today.)
im 22 years old and havnt even been on a holiday overseas let alone go for 3months to live.
So if anyone has been and can give me a bit of an idea of what the place is like it would be great.
If they decide they want me, il have to pack up and move over there within around a week

thanks.
Rob

^kicker^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

outside of the resorts its a third world country. nice beaches tho
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
outside of the resorts its a third world country. nice beaches tho
Exactly.

We were told not to leave the resorts after night, and to only go into town during the day time with a group of people.

Other than that the resorts are nice, beaches are alright, snorkling is great, and the people were very nice.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
^kicker^

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL XR6
Exactly.

We were told not to leave the resorts after night, and to only go into town during the day time with a group of people.

Other than that the resorts are nice, beaches are alright, snorkling is great, and the people were very nice.
so it can be a bit of a rough place then?
What did it seem like when you did go into town?
Old 10-01-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

I spent a few weeks there and went out on the town at night with a few of the locals who worked at the resort and had no problem, Its is a little rough around the edges but the people are beautiful, cant drive for but they are nice, oh and you may as well throw your watch in the bin in fiji, everything is Fiji Time.
gregg_13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
^kicker^

thanks for the reply mate.

what do you mean everything is fiji time?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

Everything goes slow, they even sell clocks with no numbers, that just sday "wahts the time, who cares, Fiji Time"

The indian side of the population can be cunning and try rip you off, just dont fall for it. LEarn some of the language, most people are more then willing to teach you a little, Vanaka Vaka Levu (Levu pronounced Layvu) - Thank you very much. Oh and dont get the bottlo mixed up with the Grog shop, a grog shop is for Kava, Beware, its easier to buy it pounded, someplaces wont pound it for you unless you get like 5kg.

Oh and watch out for the Ladies, the seem to have a sof spot for Aussies.

Like I said lovely people Lovely place, and dont stick to the tourist circuit, there is so much more to see. Make some local mates and go to some rugby games. They love thier rugby. Like anywhere there are , just avoid them like you would at home.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
^kicker^

thanks for the advise. not exactly sure what kava is tho?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
Scott

As has been said, outside of the resorts is another world. Most of the locals live in shacks and the towns, on the whole, are just dirty dumps.

I spent a week there and stayed at the Sheraton on Denarau Island which was beautiful - plenty of ex-pats live on the island (well, it's not really an island but you cross a bridge to get there). Nadi is a dump. Lautoka is a bigger dump. Suva is the biggest dump. I found a little place along the way called Sigatoka which was nice for Fiji but by Australian standards it was a dump too.

The Fijian's are lovely people - pity they are overun by the Fijian Indians. It's a shame that Fiji's culture is completely overshadowed by the Indian culture.

When you go into a supermarket, the alcohol is held in a cage and they are petrified to open it. All the liquor shops on the road are inside compounds, with bars on the windows etc etc. The meat case at the supermarkets I went to aren't actually refrigerated - they just have meat and flies in them....... yuk yuk spew.

The water is not safe to drink and if you have a weak belly, you will get sick unless you are very careful about where you eat. They just had another coup, I'd be having a good look before deciding to go - talk to some ex-pats over there first. Better yet, have a holiday there before deciding anything!!!

edit - i'll post up some pics for you later. I drove from one side ot another and snapped quite a bit. There is no way I'd let my wife go anywhere by herself - might be different when you've lived there a while but as a tourist you must be on your guard.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

Pounded tree root, put in a heshion bag and then mixed into a bowl of water till it becomes opaqueand murky, tastes like muddy water, make you sowly go numb all over and almost like being stoned. However many people will tell you. :oh it did nothing to me" In most resorts they make it very week as not to make people sick or too "bent" but trust me it can be a start to a very good night.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
^kicker^

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
As has been said, outside of the resorts is another world. Most of the locals live in shacks and the towns, on the whole, are just dirty dumps.

I spent a week there and stayed at the Sheraton on Denarau Island which was beautiful - plenty of ex-pats live on the island (well, it's not really an island but you cross a bridge to get there). Nadi is a dump. Lautoka is a bigger dump. Suva is the biggest dump. I found a little place along the way called Sigatoka which was nice for Fiji but by Australian standards it was a dump too.

The Fijian's are lovely people - pity they are overun by the Fijian Indians. It's a shame that Fiji's culture is completely overshadowed by the Indian culture.

When you go into a supermarket, the alcohol is held in a cage and they are petrified to open it. All the liquor shops on the road are inside compounds, with bars on the windows etc etc. The meat case at the supermarkets I went to aren't actually refrigerated - they just have meat and flies in them....... yuk yuk spew.

The water is not safe to drink and if you have a weak belly, you will get sick unless you are very careful about where you eat. They just had another coup, I'd be having a good look before deciding to go - talk to some ex-pats over there first. Better yet, have a holiday there before deciding anything!!!

edit - i'll post up some pics for you later. I drove from one side ot another and snapped quite a bit. There is no way I'd let my wife go anywhere by herself - might be different when you've lived there a while but as a tourist you must be on your guard.
thanks.
all this info is starting to change my mind to go (if i get offered)
But as i said, if they offer me the job id be over there in around a week. So no time to go on a holiday there first which kind of sucks
Old 10-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^kicker^
thanks.
all this info is starting to change my mind to go (if i get offered)
But as i said, if they offer me the job id be over there in around a week. So no time to go on a holiday there first which kind of sucks
Well, if the pay is good and you want to do something different, do it. My opinion is 25% of the place is just awful - problem is that you will spend 90% of your time in that area. Much of what you see on TV about India is what Fiji city's are like. Overcrowded, dirty and a little dangerous if you aren't a local.

If you've got nothing going here, why not do it, do some snorkelling, drink some cava - it is only 3 months at the end of the day and regardless of my opinion, you will have stories to tell for the rest of your life.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

It's a lot different to Geelong that for sure (unless you live in Corio or Whitington). I'd do it, as others have said just for the experience. The Fijian natives are awesome people, there is a fair Aussie-expat population (the island I spent a week on was Aussie owned and managed) but the Fiijian-Indians do control a lot these days. At 22 opportunities like this aren't common, so give it a go.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
rodderz

Have a read through here mate- trip advisor, lots of handy info
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...i883-Fiji.html

It's a pity some pacific islands are being overrun by others and losing their culture,which is why e and the missus went to Vanuatu for our honeymoon, a lot more friendly and more to do. Some islands at the moment are even rioting the chinese

Depending on where you work is located it could be fine...work during the day and sip coolies around a beach afterwards, could be thh bes 3 months of your life

As for kava.... make sure you have a good chaser to get rid of the taste!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #15
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

Good advice there with the trip advisor, My missus is a travel agent and shes just said the same thing. I turned down 3 months work in New Caledonia when i was 21, worst thing I ever did. All because I was a little shy and worried about speaking french. Go for it, one way or another you will never forget it.

Best chaser for Kava - for me was a double Long island ice tea. after 3-4 of these you cant taste the kava.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #16
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg_13
Best chaser for Kava - for me was a double Long island ice tea. after 3-4 of these you cant taste the kava.
lol... if they were the tall you-beaut long island's you wouldnt taste anything after 3 or 4!

You have to skull the shell of kava... you cant take sips otherwise you won't drink the rest
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #17
Scott

Quote:
or stand up :baby bott :
Old 10-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #18
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

We were at Sona-Sali resort and I lived on Long Island Ice teas in huge tall glasses and bottled water. Oh and back then I smoked, it was cheap for smokes over there then, Only realy big downside there was the hospitals, not quite up to std, so get some sort of travel insurance, Most of the big resorts have fully qualified medical staff.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #19
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

I stayed at the Sonasali resort last year with my wife. As has been said, the natives are awesome but the Indians I found to be a pack of mongrels. We went into town once (Nadi) and were constantly being pestered and harrassed by the Indians to go for a drive or buy some cheap crap things. I had Kava at a local village and it wasnt gross or anything... just tasted like dirty water which made my mouth numb.
As for road rules.... what road rules?
If your on your own dont go out at night.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #20
Scott

First tip I got when we headed in to Nadi was from the cabbie. He said "don't follow anyone, don't go into their shops but if you do, don't take off your shoes. They will tell you all about it is their culture and you have the same Queen blah blah but all they will do is steal your shoes".

After telling abouot 1000 of them "no thanks" we went into a shop and what do you think the first thing they asked?? "Come in, take off your shoes, look, we have the same queen!!"
Old 10-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #21
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

The biggest tip is dont tell anyone your name, especially around the markets, they will instantly carve your name into something and tell you that you must buy it and they will have the cops on their side some of the time too. I think there is alot of scare mongering when it comes to Fiji, we were told horror stories galore when we were there, basically use common sense and you will be fine, Go where the backpakers go for drinks, make friends and let them take you out. dont get too cocky though.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #22
^kicker^

wow. thanks for all the info people. VERY helpfull!!
IF i get offered the job i reckon i will take it.
I may just have to be a hermit crab and hide in my appartment at night. haha
Old 10-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #23
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Probably safer than Geelong at night. :(
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 11:53 PM   #24
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Fiji is safe !!! But dont be silly.. They don't like woman wearing shorts. Even the other woman think sluts wear shorts...Its just there culture...
Keep away from sword salesmen..
Play rugby and you'll have friends for life...
Whatever you do don't leave your address with them....
They'll want to come and visit...VERY nice people though...
What seems like slums to us maybe isn't quite that bad..
They sure have an easy lifestyle!! It can make you wander why you work so hard
to achieve... They are just happy people...Don't give them any boose either...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 12:02 AM   #25
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^kicker^
Who has been to Fiji ????
Not me.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 12:37 AM   #26
theunfairadvant

Quote:
Pounded tree root, put in a heshion bag and then mixed into a bowl of water till it becomes opaqueand murky, tastes like muddy water, make you sowly go numb all over and almost like being stoned. However many people will tell you. :oh it did nothing to me" In most resorts they make it very week as not to make people sick or too "bent" but trust me it can be a start to a very good night.
Yes i second that.
Go Kuva

Make sure you do the Firewalk as well, as i did it 6 times
in one night without getting burnt to my feet at all.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #27
Lightning Strike XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My uncle works there.

I stay at the Outrigger on the Lagoon. 10 mins away from singatoka. Best fun nice resort. About 1hr from the airport. Best place to stay and relax.
Lightning Strike XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #28
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

yeah me and the ex went we stayed at the plantion island resort wasnt to bad ,more for familys tho .not really for the younger people .we stayed in one of the rooms not the little cabins and some of the things more a bit old.the shower head fell off when i moved it .the fridge broke .food was expensive but yeah we had a great time ,sunsets are excellant over there .never had any trouble really ,a little harassed by the people in the airport like people trying to gets us into a cab and stuff.the indian side of it i didnt like at all ,very rude !!

thats my 2c
TUNED BY JEM
TURBO_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post