Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

Default non registered insurance

hi guys, just a quick question relating to insurance.
if i have a car not registered in my name, but in some body elses, am i able to insure it under my name?
cheers brad

Last edited by TEKILA; 21-01-2008 at 03:16 PM.
TEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Short answer. Yes. My mate has 3rd party on his car but the car is actually registered in my name (he bought it off me).

Fully comp I'm not sure since you will be claiming money for a car you dont legally own in the event of a write off.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

yea thats sweet then, its registered in my mates name but i insured it in mine coz i drive it. 3rd party too!
TEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #4
Taxman
Taxman

Sorry Boys

The Insurance Coy will nearly always take your money but try to make a claim and see how fast they run in the opposite direction.

One of the most important concepts when getting insurance is that you MUST have an "Insurable Interest" to get coverage. If the policy is not taken out by the person who is the registered owner of the vehicle then the person taking out the policy has no insurable interest (how can you insure something you don't own because if something happens to it what are you going to lose - nothing) and as such if you try to make a claim just watch how fast they drop you. You will be like a shag on a rock - hung out to dry.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman
Sorry Boys

The Insurance Coy will nearly always take your money but try to make a claim and see how fast they run in the opposite direction.

One of the most important concepts when getting insurance is that you MUST have an "Insurable Interest" to get coverage. If the policy is not taken out by the person who is the registered owner of the vehicle then the person taking out the policy has no insurable interest (how can you insure something you don't own because if something happens to it what are you going to lose - nothing) and as such if you try to make a claim just watch how fast they drop you. You will be like a shag on a rock - hung out to dry.
If you are taking out Third Party property though, Taxman, then the insurable interest is in protecting yourself in an "at fault" accident, as third party (prop) doesn't cover the car you are driving. Pretty sure this would be OK.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 12:01 AM   #6
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
If you are taking out Third Party property though, Taxman, then the insurable interest is in protecting yourself in an "at fault" accident, as third party (prop) doesn't cover the car you are driving. Pretty sure this would be OK.
Im not sure as Ive never tried, but I would assume you could take out insurance to pay the owner if the vehicle you are driving was damaged and you were at fault, or to cover in case of an uninsured driver at fault. Might be easier to get the owner to take out insurance and list you as a driver though.

Oh, and registered owner and vehicle owner arent necessarily the same thing.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Sorry Boys
You are!

Quote:
Very incorrect. Have you never heard of the insurance contacts act? Or are you still on the early 90's?

Quote:
You have insurable interest as a driver, to cover damage caused to either or both properties. Pretty simple really.

'what how fast they drop you'
Ha ha, are you for real?
Unless you are commiting fraud (which a lot of claims clearly are) then it it very hard to deny (not pay out) a claim. Only other time is when the policy is unpaid.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
Nickxb
XB in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
You are!

Very incorrect. Have you never heard of the insurance contacts act? Or are you still on the early 90's?
unpaid.

Insurance contracts act is from 1984 :

Anyway

I would either get the rego trasfered and you can insure it no worries

or

put your mates name on the policy as well as yours and then it is legit.

Nick
Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it is "legit" if you fully disclose the ownership at the time you take the policy out. you have a duty of disclosure and if you comply with that and they accept you policy then you are covered simple as that. the trick is to be up front from the start and hide nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickxb
Insurance contracts act is from 1984 :

Anyway

I would either get the rego trasfered and you can insure it no worries

or

put your mates name on the policy as well as yours and then it is legit.

Nick
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
Kryton

why not let your mate take out the insurance contract and have you as the Nominated driver.
how easy is that!
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #11
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok guys here you go.
i own and xr6t registered under my name and also a xy fairmont registered under my name.

BOTH cars are INSURED in MY WIFES NAME FULL COMPREHENSIVE. i am a secondary driver as i have a work supplied vehicle.

clear and simple you can insure a car under your name even if your not the owner, BUT THE OWNER WILL RECIEVE ANY MONIES FROM A CLAIM EG. STOLEN OR WRITTEN OFF BECAUSE THE OWNER OWNS THE CAR AND NOT THE PERSON WITH THE INSURANCE POLICY. IT HAPPENED TO ME WITH A PREVIOUS CAR I OWNED INSURED UNDER MY WIFES NAME.

sorry for the caps but some people just dont understand.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote