Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Default Difference between 1.6 and 1.8 Laser?

I'm looking at buying a second car for the mrs and considering our first car was a KF Laser Ghia 1.8L which we had an absolute blast in I have been on the lookout for another KF Laser.

I have found one for sale but the only problem is that it's a 1.6L (with no tacho wtf?) The question is whether there is a HUGE difference between the two engines??

From memory the 1.8L is a stroked version of the 1.6 with the addition of fuel injection. Is the 1.6 going to be close to the 1.8 (performance and economy) and is there much scope for modifications to the 1.6L with such things as a twin cam head conversion?

sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
I'm looking at buying a second car for the mrs and considering our first car was a KF Laser Ghia 1.8L which we had an absolute blast in I have been on the lookout for another KF Laser.

I have found one for sale but the only problem is that it's a 1.6L (with no tacho wtf?) The question is whether there is a HUGE difference between the two engines??

From memory the 1.8L is a stroked version of the 1.6 with the addition of fuel injection. Is the 1.6 going to be close to the 1.8 (performance and economy) and is there much scope for modifications to the 1.6L with such things as a twin cam head conversion?
We bought our young son a 1.6 (carby) auto & air Laser. It's a great little car - but struggles a bit on the power side of things (especially uphill & with the air on).
If I could turn the clock back, I would have picked up a 1.8 (injected) version.
Peter B - CV8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Could it perhaps be because it's an auto???
Old 30-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
ABoringUsername

The 1.8 is DOHC, the 1.6 is SOHC (although i belive there was a SOHC version as well, may bew worth checking. the SOHC is a B8, the DOHC is a BP)
the 1.8 is fuel injected, the 1.6 is carbureted

The 1.6 is basically a 1.6 8valve engine from the KC/E with a new head and pistons. The 1.8 is similar in design, but if given the choice, i would get the 1.8 in a flash.

Look at www.fordlaser.com for more info on lasers.
ABoringUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

In the KF range there were a few different engines available.

I have driven the 1.6L SOHC Carby manual (no air/no power steer) ... and it was still crap.

My Mother owned a 1.8L SOHC EFI GHIA manual with air ... and it was a great little car (was even better when she had the Whiteline Works kit installed as well).

For a cheap run around though ... you can't go passed the 1.8L EFI models ... if you can get a cheap TX3 get it ... but if after a sedan or 5-door hatch ... the GHIA is the pick (not the auto though ... they were a very weak transmission).

Man I wish my Mum hadn't sold it ... she had it from new and sold it when it was 13-14 years old with about 150,000km on the clock ... it ran trouble free ... just needed a replacement ingition module in that time ... that's all.

Also look at the Mazda Astina's around that time as well ... literally the same vehicle.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The difference bewtwwen 1.8 and 1.6???

1.8 - 1.6 = 0.2

So your answer is 0.2

Sorry,

Yes I know no one likes a smart ars.e, but I couldn't help myself.....
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
In the KF range there were a few different engines available.

I have driven the 1.6L SOHC Carby manual (no air/no power steer) ... and it was still crap.

My Mother owned a 1.8L SOHC EFI GHIA manual with air ... and it was a great little car (was even better when she had the Whiteline Works kit installed as well).

For a cheap run around though ... you can't go passed the 1.8L EFI models ... if you can get a cheap TX3 get it ... but if after a sedan or 5-door hatch ... the GHIA is the pick (not the auto though ... they were a very weak transmission).

Man I wish my Mum hadn't sold it ... she had it from new and sold it when it was 13-14 years old with about 150,000km on the clock ... it ran trouble free ... just needed a replacement ingition module in that time ... that's all.

Also look at the Mazda Astina's around that time as well ... literally the same vehicle.
Yeah I had a 1.8L SOHC KF Ghia which I bought for $1500 when 16. I loved that car but unfortunately when I got the Fairmont I decided to turn the old Laser into a paddock basher. Wish I hadn't the engine and transmission were brilliant it just suffered electrical problems and had faded paint and a dent. Bloody economical though getting 7L/100 kays when driving like a red p plater (which I was)

Now I'm on the lookout for another KF Laser and apparently they are worth 3 grand now!