Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #31
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Mate, there was a post on here in the pub about a cop car BF XR6T for 22 grand with 73K. There was no evidence of cops so I wouldn't be surprised to see that as a scam too, especially when such cars are seeing 35K. We should really regulate though the placement of cars for sale on the net from foreign countries, as its seemingly always some south african living in london who cries when that wench from today tonight or ACA catches up to them.
That was a genuine ad. The car is an ex NSW Police chaser and is for sale in a Sydney Car yard. Apparently it has some marks where the roof lights used to be and some interior faults. No scam this time, but it still pays to do all the checks before handing over the dollars.
Chippar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #32
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman
Maybe for complete eBay virgins, it's a bit of a risk, but if you know what to look for eBay is brilliant...I've bought so many things off eBay...

But as has been said...if it's too good to be true, it usually is.
Dito
Are these people that are being ripped off the same ones that repley to nigerian emails?

A guy i use to work with would open and read all the spam that came into his in box
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #33
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoupedy
Dito
Are these people that are being ripped off the same ones that repley to nigerian emails?

A guy i use to work with would open and read all the spam that came into his in box
Let me quantify a little bit before this becomes a slinging match of those who think they are better than others and those who genuinely are concerned about the inginuity of criminals.
Firstly, they were not ebay virgins, if you read the post you would see that they sold a 1959 Buick Electra on ebay. Furthermore, dozens of other transactions have been conducted without a problem.
Secondly, the guy who claimed to be the seller invited a revs check on the vehicle of which they did which showed no encumberances as per his suggestion.
Thirdly, the vehicle was not an immaculate 60k car for 10 grand, it was a 25-30k vehicle for 18 grand; not something out of the realms of possible.
As car enthusiasts it is easy for us to work out a cars value but as I said before, they have not owned Fords before and were genuinely interested.

The reason I posted this post was to inform others that scam artists are getting a little more clever (ie, less ridiculous) in their pricing and research. Hopefully, if you can put aside your insatianle thirst to attempt to belittle my relatives you may take something positive out of this and not be duped in the future on something that seems realistic.
As for Nigerian emails, you can rest in the knowledge that they do not answer those, but thanks for your constructive assertion.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #34
nb_351
building the xe...

people see to be "selling" things for less as stated above due to the fact people are starting to become aware...
just because it seems like a reasonableprice, doent mean you will recieve it...
i won a bulk pack of simpsons box sets, for around 20 dollars a season it worked out, and the day after i paid, she was no longer a reistered user...
having said that, i bought both my xes off ebay, one from qld sight unseen apart from phonecalls and photos...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 PM   #35
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_351
i won a bulk pack of simpsons box sets, for around 20 dollars a season it worked out, and the day after i paid, she was no longer a reistered user...
For the most part ebay has worked out for me, never lost any money. But I have had a couple of experiences where the item is no longer available after auction end. Or the email saying 'we listed the item without looking it over properly, so sorry, weve just had a look at it properly and theres a fault and I couldnt let you have it like that, it wouldnt be right'. Or theyve only just noticed its missing a few bits etc, yet the pictures clearly show it complete and are date stamped. Oh its got nothing to do with the fact the price is really good for me. You know its a scam because you only have to suggest youd still be willing to look for yourself and they start acting like Mother Theresa as if they couldnt live with the guilt. The endless excuses are amusing.

There was once where the story was true, but the seller was willing to let me make my own choice. Either that or the decision to lie in the description got the better of them.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2008, 07:38 AM   #36
XYLINC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was watching a show on Austar last night and they were talking about changes ebay were making to their system shortly. Would you believe they are removing the "negative feedback" feature..............wtf? Now we will have no idea of the reputation of a seller, certainly a step in the wrong direction.
XYLINC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #37
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltucker
Was watching a show on Austar last night and they were talking about changes ebay were making to their system shortly. Would you believe they are removing the "negative feedback" feature..............wtf? Now we will have no idea of the reputation of a seller, certainly a step in the wrong direction.
That's designed to give scammers a hard time by making them able to scam people more. It's called progress apparently.
Precisely the reason that I refuse to use ebay, it is past its prime and is now infiltrated with con artists and scumbags.

Quote: