Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
markb

Default Tookthe plunge - new (old) XR8 ute

Hey,

Finally put my money where my mouth was so I can sell my much maligned D22 Navara.

On impulse I headed up to a dealer in Penrith just to see if I could have a test drive as they had a decently priced AUII XR8 up there in blue. Wanted black but the price for black seems to be about 3-4k more so blue is okay.

It wasn't too bad, drove well apart from a shudder at 90km-100km which may be attributed to the woeful chinese tyres or poor wheel alignment.

engine sounded very nice, no nasty rattles, smooth as and it's got extractors, and dual aftermarket exhaust.

They are replacing the tyres, detailing and repairing any of the very minor stone chips/scratches, fixing a few little odds and ends(dodgy electric window switch, small split in handbrake rubber).

I looked it all over very thoroughly, drove it under differnent conditions suburbs, M4 etc and it passed all tests. Checked all fluids and service history and pretty much used everything (bar the stereo..doh!).

Anything that is critical on these utes as I'm in cool off period time(expires tomorrow 5:00 PM) ..under dealer warranty for 3 months/5000k's so I'm covered to a certain exent.

I'm feeling excited, needed a cheaper car and wanted to indulge in a bit of v8 fun despite after spending a year in diesel hell. Even though it's old school fun that has been used before I'm going to be a happy chappy.

So any last minute advice, last things to check before I hand down the $$$?

Cheers

Mark

markb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Auto or manual?

Basically it's one of the last versions of the ol' Windsors, which are much pretty a known quantity.

If there was going to be anything wrong with the ute then i would reckon that it would have presented itself by now. AS long as you use decent fuel in the old girl (they get a bit cranky on 91/dodgy fuel) then you really shouldn't have a problem.

And best of all, you will have one of the nicest sounding and best bank for your buck V8's around!

Daniel

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
markb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Auto or manual?

Basically it's one of the last versions of the ol' Windsors, which are much pretty a known quantity.

If there was going to be anything wrong with the ute then i would reckon that it would have presented itself by now. AS long as you use decent fuel in the old girl (they get a bit cranky on 91/dodgy fuel) then you really shouldn't have a problem.

And best of all, you will have one of the nicest sounding and best bank for your buck V8's around!

Daniel
Auto, I've never been a fan of even good maual gearboxes so I'm a bit lazy that way.

I just had a good feel about it, and if the dealer can be beleived the PO had been diligent with oil changes every 5000k's.

Bad points.

Just got to figure out how to get rid of all the armourall the PO put on the damn thing...

It's got the standard 17 tickford wheels of that series which have got quite a few curb scrapes.

Interior is not perfect (duh! the car is 8 years old) few holes patches after some mobile phone kit etc was removed.

Hoping to pick her up either tomorrow arvo or sometime Tues/Wed and will post some pics.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Ahh well at least all the bad points are a reasonably easy fix.

I don't know what you would use to get the Armour-all off, maybe use some metho or something like that?

Can wait to see some pics.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
markb

Well this is my first experience with a used car so hopefully it will be a good one..
Old 02-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Can wait to see some pics.
Agreed, Can't wait to see it.

AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Congrats on a great choice of car, they are pretty bulletproof and will give you a lot of good times behind the wheel.

Theres' not really much you would look for one an XR that you wouldnt normally look at anyway - things like you have already mentioned. If the engine feels and sounds smooth, and the history is all in good order you shouldnt have any problems.

When you want to start modding it (and dont say 'if' because its more a matter of when, believe me), you'll get good results by doing a bit of research on here. Perhaps my results which Ill have in about a week's time will give you an idea :hihi:
Old 02-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #8
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't use metho ,too powerful
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #9
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Congrats on a great choice of car, they are pretty bulletproof and will give you a lot of good times behind the wheel.

Theres' not really much you would look for one an XR that you wouldnt normally look at anyway - things like you have already mentioned. If the engine feels and sounds smooth, and the history is all in good order you shouldnt have any problems.

When you want to start modding it (and dont say 'if' because its more a matter of when, believe me), you'll get good results by doing a bit of research on here. Perhaps my results which Ill have in about a week's time will give you an idea :hihi:
LOL, the good old mod bug, you right it won't be long and he will be asking question's,
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 06:16 AM   #10
markb

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
LOL, the good old mod bug, you right it won't be long and he will be asking question's,
I was thinking but the K&N, lowered suspesion and 'zorst is I guess the stuff that is already done.

Nt sure what else is an easy bolt on? or in my cas beneficial bang for the buck.

It's got no sports bar and I am wondering whether to fit one or not provided I could get one for cheap used as I need a new tonneau cover. I can buy a cheapy via ebay but it's got no space for this.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

K&N is an easy mod, I'd look at exhauster (headers if you've only got a catback on there now) as these will give you a bit more poke.

Then port manifold, new alloy heads, bigger cam, blower, lower it more (oh wait this is my list: )
Old 03-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the armour all will go on it's own. if you try using solvents it will be harsh on the vinyl so leave it alone
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 09:44 AM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Sounds like a nice ute we need some pics
Old 03-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #14
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb
It wasn't too bad, drove well apart from a shudder at 90km-100km which may be attributed to the woeful chinese tyres or poor wheel alignment.
that can also come from if the front end had been lowered, and the rear is left at standard height, it causes a vibration at around that speed from the angle of the driveshaft. Its how it was on my old AUII XR8 ute when i bought it.
Still a top car though have fun !