Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Last Fairlane standing Fails to Meet Reserve Price

Last Fairlane standing

04 March 2008
Chris Riley
The Ford Fairlane was a bit of a fizzer in the end.

A charity auction ended in disappointment when the last Fairlane to leave Ford's production line failed to realise even its list price on Sunday afternoon.

Disappointing for Ford perhaps and the National Breast Cancer Council that was due to pocket the proceeds.

But not for Melbourne boat dealer Simon Miller, 43, who suddenly found himself the proud owner of another car.

“I don’t I think I could have got one that cheap even if I’d haggled,” he said.

Ford had anticipated “strong interest” in the event, but the Fairlane, a six cylinder Fairmont Ghia that retails for $58,625, managed to raise only $48,100 – and that's a driveway price including 12 month's registration.

Ford enlisted the services of cricketers Andrew Symonds and Matthew Hayden to promote the event, but the current one day international series must have been more interesting.

Perhaps the auction would have attracted more interest if the car had been a V8 model?

Yes, concedes Ford, but the trouble is that it stopped manufacturing V8s some time ago.

A Ford spokesman, however, confirmed the car is literally the last Fairlane to leave the line.

“It's a nice collector car and a very good price at that,” a spokesman said.

In the lead-up to the auction, Ford described the car as the final example of more than 250,000 Fairlane and LTD vehicles manufactured between 1967 and 2008.

Early last year, Ford decided to pull the pin on the Fairlane as well as the more luxurious LTD model in the wake of falling sales.

A total of 12 bidders registered for the auction which ended at 5pm on Sunday.

It attracted 40 bids in total, with the winning bid coming just seconds before the end in typical eBay fashion.

As the auction drew to a close there were some anxious moment as the eBay site refused to accept any further bids.

At the time Miller was out on a boat enjoying the sunshine off Frankston, with a friend keeping him updated on proceedings via text messages.

The father of two revealed his own father had owned five Fairlanes over the years but said he had no plans to give him this one.

Miller might however cook up something with his beloved Geelong Football Club.

Other than that, he has not decided what to do with the car yet.

In fact, the boat dealer has just taken delivery of a new turbo-diesel Landcruiser which he uses to tow boats.

My opinion : What a sad way for the Fairlane to go out. FORD should hang there heads in shame.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

i think an ad campaign between the breast cancer council and ford would have helped out.cant say i seen it advertised anywhere but here.

i guess he gets a bloody nice car for cheap
Old 05-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
... but the Fairlane, a six cylinder Fairmont Ghia...
Quality journalism right there....

Shame about the price it sold at, but hey, maybe it would have got more if it was more than just a taxi with out the stickers.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe if the car offered a little more than just a plain Fairlane, interest would have been greater.

The fact remains that at the end of the day, it's just another Fairlane.

Give it a nicer interior and more options, wheels etc...make it unique.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

Well its not like the monaro - that at least went out with great sales, not a slow decline.... Should have made it a FPV Galaxie....

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #6
Dezza
Parts bin special

Ford only have themselves to blame for the way the Fairlane finished up. The problem is, since the BA came out, it didn't have the differentiation required to stand above the rest of the Falcon range. You've got to spend money to make money, and using Falcon taillights and front sheetmetal (with just a different grille to pick it apart from a Falcon XT) was completely the wrong move. Holden have showed that doing more to the premium models will help in sales. Holden sell heaps of the new Statesman and Caprice because it looks and feels like a much classier car than a Commodore Omega. They even have longer rear doors! The Fairlane on the other hand just used the wagon doors, and is still even using a BA XT front bumper. For the last Fairlane to be like every other was also a disgraceful way to finish it. RIP Fairlane. If Ford gave you the attention you deserved, maybe you could have had many years left.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFella
Well its not like the monaro - that at least went out with great sales, not a slow decline.... Should have made it a FPV Galaxie....
Monaro was canned due to insufficient domestic and export sales, (there was a slow decline in sales the whole time it was on our market, and sales never really took off in the US) it didnt go out 'on top'! Because it was a sports coupe with big name heritage it was alot more desirable to be auctioned off.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

It's been said before, who wants a Fairlane, that looks like a Falcon? Ford started losing market share with the NF/DF after the success of the VR Statesman. It was in slow decline from there on and in the end, without an export market, it was always going to die a slow gradual death. In the end, it didn't matter whether Ford spent a billion dollars on a Fairlane, the thing wouldn't have sold as people in Australia are shunning large Australian cars in their droves.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:22 PM   #9
AusM
AusMotorsport

Notice to the media was only a couple of days before the auction start... ie not long enough for us print media to help promote it (except via the website, which we did).

Pity, but it may have come about as a last minute decision, or just got overlooked in the pressure of the FG release...
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Fairlane going for less IMO has nothing to do with it looking like a Falcon.

This last off the line should have had heaps of extras, and something unique. The person buying it should get something for their money. People should look at it and say, "Hey, that's the last Fairlane off the production line!"

Instead, people will look at it and either not care, or they'll say, "Yep, another Fairlane."

If the rest of the Fairlanes weren't selling, what makes Ford actually believe that this car is going to sell? The fact that it's the "last Fairlane" means nothing if it looks like the rest of them.

Ford went lazy.

What the hell were they thinking...really?!

Don't snap my undies.

Last edited by uranium_death; 06-03-2008 at 12:39 AM.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 02:50 AM   #11
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think looks played a big part in things here, as mentioned the front and rear of the Fairlane looked like a standard BA with a bit of chrome here and there. You need to make your luxury model stand out from the rest simple. I still wouldnt mind having one but at the end of the day it was nothing people would go nuts over
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 05:51 AM   #12
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Why is this all doom and gloom?

Ford raised $40000 for the Breast Cancer research, and well done to them for that!

Re the advertisement, It was shown on the sports shows, like in the V8 Telecast, but the Auction was overshadowed by the Bun Fights between Harbajan Sighn, Monkey and Haydo!

Failure of this to not net more $'s can be layed at the feet of Ford's and the Breast Cancer Foundation's Marketing departments, and to a lesser extent, the Media.

Well Done Ford, What an amazing donation!

Mike
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 08:45 AM   #13
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Why is this all doom and gloom?

Ford raised $40000 for the Breast Cancer research, and well done to them for that!
Mike
They could've sold it from a dealership and raised $58,625.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Should've been a V8 one, and not a 3v at that!

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #15
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Shame about the price it sold at, but hey, maybe it would have got more if it was more than just a taxi with out the stickers.
?
That's a Fairmont, Fairlanes don't have the same shape.

Very disappointing, but honestly one of the main draws to the Fairlane was its built for cruising V8. I kind of expected it with the 6 in there.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #16
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTSW
?
That's a Fairmont, Fairlanes don't have the same shape.

Very disappointing, but honestly one of the main draws to the Fairlane was its built for cruising V8. I kind of expected it with the 6 in there.
BA and BF Fairlanes didn't differ greatly in looks to the Fairmonts.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #17
PoMmYwOG

I think that being the last model they should have made it a special one off type car...stick a boss 290/302 in it and give it FPV interior... would have definetly gained more interest i think and more $$$... all the fairlane fanatics out there would love to see that i reckon...

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 02:06 PM   #18
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Sad ending for a great car. Ford cannot do one offs; they just become far too expensive. Sticking the boss in it would have required a different bonnet, bumper and other parts. Ford should have done a runout on the fairlane by putting the G6E-T running gear in it, or the BF Typhoon running gear and painting it a special non fairlane colour. A limited run of 50 would have sold out in probably a couple of weeks, and the car would then hold a decent value. The absolute last could have been auctioned like the silver service taxi was, but it would have probably fetched closer to 100K. If ford have of done a go fast fairlane as the last ever model, I know three blokes who would have been at the front of the queue.

Quote: