Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-03-2008, 12:24 AM   #31
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKXR8
Yeah, living over here for a few years would be a fantastic experience, but after a while things (price of living and the winter weather - light at 8, dark by 3) start to grate a bit. I've only done a very tentative search but the figures I was looking at were based on Adelaide, I understand it doesn't get too hot down there, my better half tends to melt in the heat!
ADELAIDE is a great city and one of the cheapest. it's latitude is about the same as sydneys though. and it can get hot, and dry. still it's a south climate, so nowhere near as hot as queensland.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 12:27 AM   #32
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I understand it doesn't get too hot down there, my better half tends to melt in the heat!
Nah, it doesn't get too hot in Adelaide! Ha ha

They have just experienced two weeks of 35+ deg celcius days ( and its not even summer here). The good news is it is a relatively dry heat, not like the crutch rotting humid heat I get where I live! :

Over the year though, Adelaide weather is pretty good. Hotish summers and winters that you would find mild, but still a winter.

The best thing is that it is probably the cheapest city in Aus to live in with real estate prices quite low compared to Sydney, Melb, Bris prices. So your 80-90K wage will go as far as a 110-120K wage in dearer parts of the country ( basically anywhere along the East Coast).

Actually its more like a big country town. I really like Adelaide actually!

Good public transport system ( got to try the O'bahn).

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 19-03-2008 at 12:33 AM.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 12:34 AM   #33
tempest

Adelaide FTW!!! Altough Hobart would be where I would like to retire to. Ppl say Adelaide prices are cheap, you can get a awesome house in Hobart with perhaps one of the best views in Australia for around 700k mark. Then again...its Hobart...

Today was the first day Ive seen a sub 35 degree temperature for what was it - 20 odd days...? effin dry heat :evil3:

75-80k should leave you with very few financial worries if you are disciplined.
tempest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 12:38 AM   #34
UKXR8

Cheers for that msg FPVGT, just sent you one back.

35 degrees sounds heavenly at the moment from where I'm sitting!
UKXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #35
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
The grass is greener here. Break your question down into Big Mac's. How many can you buy in the UK on your current pay and how many can you buy here on your new pay?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
REFER the MAC index.

More accurate than any exchange rate....
You can lead a horse to water eh Tex?

Suprisingly I didn't know there actually is a "Big Mac Index", I had just used the principal when looking at OS opps!

http://www.oanda.com/products/bigmac/bigmac.shtml
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #36
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

Quote:
Cheers for the replies, I've been working in aviation over here for the past 8 years, I'm making about £40k over here (roughly $86aus) so I would be looking at a pay cut but I'm pretty sure the price of living can't be anywhere near as stupid as it is over here, it costs the equivalent of $2.30 a litre over here, you can't get a decent house for less than $350k (my 3 bed terraced cost $370k).
Also tired of the negative attitudes that seem prevalent over here, or maybe its just the weather...
I'm aware that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence, but I'm keen for a change.

What is your back ground in the avaition industry?
devilracer_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #37
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi, as my user name implies I'm living in the UK and I'm thinking about moving out to Australia.
Having done a bit of research it seems that I would be looking at starting on a wage of roughly 75k going up to the mid 90's. This doesn't mean a lot to me never having lived in Aus. My question is, is this a decent wage to live on, I don't want to travel half way round the world to find myself living on the bones of my ? The wife would execute me!!!
Any constructive comments welcome..

Cheers

All depends on whether you're supporting a family, where in Australia you intend to live and the standard of living you enjoy.

$75k in Sydney for a single bloke with no debts would support a very nice life style....However $75k supporting a family with a kids and a house loan forget it.

To really enjoy living in Sydney, the restaurants, pubs, shows, night life etc requires a good income 30% of which you'd spend on rent in a reasonable suburb within 20kms of the city, assuming you can find a place to rent that is.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #38
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmale42
To really enjoy living in Sydney.......
Oz, our UK friend has already stated in previous posts, he will be living in Adelaide.

Believe it or not, Australia does extend south of Wollongong, north of Newy and West of Lithgow mate. Its not all about Sydney!
Old 19-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #39
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
Oz, our UK friend has already stated in previous posts, he will be living in Adelaide.

Believe it or not, Australia does extend south of Wollongong, north of Newy and West of Lithgow mate. Its not all about Sydney!
Hey ...I didn't read all of the posts OK !!...My apologies?....Don't get so defensive pal!
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 19-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #40
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Mate. Your best bet is to PM XC GXL, his name is Wayne. He just moved back here from Derby, thats not to far from you. Get his number and give him a ring and he will give you the heads up.

I have brought about 15 Brits out here in the last 7 years. Most have stayed, a few havent. Also brought out a Aussie who promptly went back, and he lived in Birmingham!!!

Its best to ignore the exchange rate for everything other than what you will bring with you. Typicaly I prefer to work on my exchange rate of 50p to the AUD. That rule worked even when the exchange rate was 33p.

I am in the UK next week, was suppossed to be in working York but now it looks like Birmingham. Will get up north on the weekends though.

Australia is great, to me its the best place in the world but may not suit you. Be aware that a lot of those here that say its the best place to live in (and I largly agree) have never lived any where else so they dont realy know.

Wayne is your best bet, he is an Aussie thats lived in England for 10 years on and off.

Good luck

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #41
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey ...I didn't read all of the posts OK !!...My apologies?....Don't get so defensive pal!

So have you ever been south of the 'gong, west of Lithgow or North of Newcastle?
: : :
Old 19-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #42
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay

So have you ever been south of the 'gong, west of Lithgow or North of Newcastle?
: : :

Ha ha, was in Canberra last weekend, Adelaide and Hobart last month and Brisbane in January.

Never been west of Lithgow though....oh no wait a sec, yes was in perth in 1987

Cheers mate

Old 19-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #43
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ha ha, was in Canberra last weekend, Adelaide and Hobart last month and Brisbane in January.

Never been west of Lithgow though....oh no wait a sec, yes was in perth in 1987

Cheers mate
Ah well. At least you have been to some of the capital cities I suppose. :

Theres a lot of space between them though. You should try a road trip sometime! :
Old 19-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #44
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
Australia is great, to me its the best place in the world but may not suit you. Be aware that a lot of those here that say its the best place to live in (and I largly agree) have never lived any where else so they dont really know.
Fair observation I say, and we have the best flys.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #45
XC GXL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
Australia is great, to me its the best place in the world but may not suit you. Be aware that a lot of those here that say its the best place to live in (and I largly agree) have never lived any where else so they dont realy know.

Wayne is your best bet, he is an Aussie thats lived in England for 10 years on and off.

Good luck

Steve
yeah I've lived and worked al over the world from Australia, Great Britain, Kazakhstan , Iceland, Venezuela, Middle East (Israel, Bahrain etc), China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Europe (Switzerland, Italy, France, Belgium), Canada, America etc and you are right when ever I go to a new assignment and some of the people there have been there since leaving school and do nothing but complain. Never ventured out of their back yard so to speak.
I reckon just go out and enjoy yourself and see the world. I have and don't regret anything. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
The only places that I could live permanently are Australia, UK, Ireland, Italy or Iceland. Possibly America (West Coast).
I reckon I will be back in Europe in a couple of years again.

Wayne
XC GXL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 11:01 PM   #46
ELtim
Six One Eight

Adelaide is the greatest city in the greatest country in the world my friend.

75k a year around here will get you a pretty decent lifestyle.

I don't know what house prices are like ATM but I live in a very neat, maintained neighborhood in a very neat, modern 3 bedroom house with 2 bathrooms. My parents paid about 320k for it. Quarter acre of land. Gardens done, everything. We even have a spa.

Good luck anyway.

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 11:07 PM   #47
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELtim
Adelaide is the greatest city in the greatest country in the world my friend.
Do you mind qualifying that statement by telling us where else other than Adelaide you have acuatally lived?
Old 19-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #48
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilracer_01
What is your back ground in the aviation industry?
keen to know this as well. If your licensed be it B2 or whatever the EASA system is that CASA adopted you should have no drama's making that kind of money, depends whether your a blackhander or sparky, Boeing 747/Airbus A330/Boeing 767/737 experience, military and so on. If you are a degree qualified engineer, expect more money.

If you are just a tradesman like i was, forget about it. I struggled to earn $45k a year with a bit of o/t, that was working for Geoff Dixon and the wonderful Qantas Airlines but I have heard its much the same across the board here in Australia. Pretty sure the contractors to the military pay a bit better (boeing) but it's one of the most underpaid trades in this country. I left to start another apprenticeship and i make much more money now

but otherwise, its a good lifestyle over here, all my mates that have travelled loved the UK but didn't want to spend too much time there if you know what i mean. All the best.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 02:34 AM   #49
pommy b
Banned

G'day,

Well, I think I can talk from experience having made the move 18 months ago from Derby...

Your salary is a decent one and above average. Oz is not as cheap as it used to be. Housing is some of the most expensive in the world relative to salaries, foods have increased quite a bit and air fairs are a complete joke.

As for cars... new ones are cheaper (except for the upmarket euro's), used are much more expensive and last much longer with 100,000K's seen as nothing. Petrol is much cheaper, as is servicing. Insurance is similar. Note that your rego include third party insurance so while it cost more compared to the good old DVLA, it does include more.

As for all the other stuff... some things are cheaper, other more expensive. I have found TV's and such like to be much cheaper than I remember back in the UK.

We have not had any problem re the climate on the Gold Coast. In fact it's been rather cold if anything.

It's your free time where the big change is. So much to see and do... never have a weekend in. You can do so much for free or very little it's not funny.

Would I go back? Not in a million years :

Let me know if you need any help.
pommy b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #50
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

my 2 cents , i moved my mother and step father back here last november, and the exchange rate doesnt seem to matter only on first arrival, what i mean is he earns the same number of dollars here for roughly same outcome, so you will get the good exchange to set up when you arrive , my brother inlaw moved here also but works in europe still to gane from the exchange rate[has children still living in uk] works great for him cause he gets paid into english bank account ,ends up with double dollars and keeps dual citizenship, so you should be better of than you are now if u understood what i wrote. good luck
Old 20-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #51
scoupedy

Most expensive western country to live in and the most expensive housing, so close to UK prices. No good wages only good saleries, 75-90k is good money but we don't need any more wealthy migraints pushing up housing prices in oz.
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #52
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

Come on over you will love it, i spent 5 days at Phillip Island last year for the Moto GP with a group of overseas tourists that were in our VIP party. There were 5 from England (cant remember where) and they absolutely loved it over here.

It all depends on what your actuall work skills are outside the Aviation Industry, my suggestion is SA or WA and the Mining Industry, this is where the Money is being made big time.

I was working on a Oil Rig in the Cooper Basin as a Labourer until i had a nasty accident. My wage was $72,000 fly in fly out 2 weeks on 2 weeks off all your meals & accomadation supplied whilst on site. This is the lowest paid position on the Rig.

Fitter & Turners are getting $110,000 in the mines in my town for 8 days on 8 days off its only 400km from Adelaide.

Then you have Roxby Downs one of the biggest mines in the World not all that far away either, they also do Fly in Fly out rosters (big $$$)

WA is another option its a great place you will absolutely love it, every one i know thats gone over there for work has ended up moving there to live.

Just driving the Water trucks or Hall packs and your straight away at $90,000 or more. If you are a tradesman or Engineer that they could use you will earn alot more than that.

I have a freind at the moment that is getting sent around the country by the employment agencies to different shutdowns as a Fitter. The last one he did was at Port Headland took home $4,700 for a 10 day shutdown that he only worked 6.5 days as the rest was spent travelling and getting ready to travel.

Plenty of money to be earnt out here bro and the rosters in the mines with 2 weeks on 2 weeks off you can jump on a plane and head up the gold coast for a weeks holiday then jump on plane back home to Adelaide and you still got a week off.

Just another option if you want to try another career.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #53
UKXR8

Hi guys thanks for all your input.
Everything looks pretty good, house prices seem reasonable, I've done a bit of research and if I've done some sums correctly income tax and medicare appears to workout roughly the same percentage wise as I'm paying for income tax and national insurance over here (slightly lower actually).
Car prices seem pretty reasonable well Falcons are, couldn't give a toss about how much audis, bimmers and mercs are, most of them are massively over hyped anyway. Not liking the sound of speed limit enforcement over there, sounds a little over the top. I travel at 90mph (145kph) on the motorways and have never been stopped for speeding(just got to watch out for "safety" cameras. Two of the guys I work with got pulled doing 100 the other week and got off with a warning, have to say they were pretty lucky though.
Property prices are pretty good, seems I would be able to buy something a lot bigger than what I've got over here for the same money. Mortgage rates are pretty high though, roughly 3% higher than here.
Everybody seems to think that groceries are expensive, but that is pretty hard to quantify. I do all my groceries on line over here which then gets delivered to the house(absolutely brilliant - I hate going to supermarkets) do any of the major supermarkets over there do the same thing, then I could do a bit of a comparison on the weekly shop.. Actually anybody who is thinking of coming over here can figure how much our groceries are by using the tesco.com website
Also we pay a council tax over here (on top of water/sewage etc), its based roughly on how much your house is worth, do you have a similar system over there?
Cheers guys.
UKXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #54
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I do all my groceries on line over here which then gets delivered to the house(absolutely brilliant - I hate going to supermarkets) do any of the major supermarkets over there do the same thing, then I could do a bit of a comparison on the weekly shop.
Not sure if they do it in Adelaide but it is available in some areas.

Try here http://upcolaph7.colesonline.com.au/

and here: http://www.homeshop.com.au/Default.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1

to check for delivery areas.
Old 20-03-2008, 10:34 PM   #55
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi guys thanks for all your input.
Everything looks pretty good, house prices seem reasonable, I've done a bit of research and if I've done some sums correctly income tax and medicare appears to workout roughly the same percentage wise as I'm paying for income tax and national insurance over here (slightly lower actually).
Car prices seem pretty reasonable well Falcons are, couldn't give a toss about how much audis, bimmers and mercs are, most of them are massively over hyped anyway. Not liking the sound of speed limit enforcement over there, sounds a little over the top. I travel at 90mph (145kph) on the motorways and have never been stopped for speeding(just got to watch out for "safety" cameras. Two of the guys I work with got pulled doing 100 the other week and got off with a warning, have to say they were pretty lucky though.
Property prices are pretty good, seems I would be able to buy something a lot bigger than what I've got over here for the same money. Mortgage rates are pretty high though, roughly 3% higher than here.
Everybody seems to think that groceries are expensive, but that is pretty hard to quantify. I do all my groceries on line over here which then gets delivered to the house(absolutely brilliant - I hate going to supermarkets) do any of the major supermarkets over there do the same thing, then I could do a bit of a comparison on the weekly shop.. Actually anybody who is thinking of coming over here can figure how much our groceries are by using the tesco.com website
Also we pay a council tax over here (on top of water/sewage etc), its based roughly on how much your house is worth, do you have a similar system over there?
Cheers guys.
We pay rates on properties to the local council. The amount depends on the council and the value of the property. Mine is rated at $214000 and costs a little over $700 a year. An average house might cost $1000-$1500 a year. Water is a separate bill, paid to the water supplier - the fixed charge might be around $50 a quarter and my usage was around average for a single person and that cost me around $30 a bill/quarter.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post