Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
GTP290

Default FG XR6T- Collectable classic??

Wheels have stated that the FG XR6T will be a collectable classic!
Where does that leave the FG FPV Typhoon, does that mean it will
be the most desirable FPV/Ford ever built?
I would of thought the FGXR6T would of been more of a cult car than a classic, but then again Wheels did say back in 1977 that the XYGTHO was a 10/10 investment and they where absolutley correct.
I own BAGTP which i hardly drive, im very tempted to trade it in on a FGXR6T and use it as a daily which i have talked about before, its even more tempting now if what Wheels claim is spot on the money.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Paxton
Cobblers!

So have Drive.

It is a shame they're killing the I6 off when it is getting reviews like that.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
GTP290

Atleast the mighty Ford straight 6 will make it 2010, Holdens traditional six cylinder engine died in 1985, and replaced with a Nissan engine, yep and theyre the Aussie icon????,Anyway atleast the Ford straight 6 can hold its head high and proud and thats an achievement for Ford in itself.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp 2003
Wheels have stated that the FG XR6T will be a collectable classic!
Where does that leave the FG FPV Typhoon, does that mean it will
be the most desirable FPV/Ford ever built?
I would of thought the FGXR6T would of been more of a cult car than a classic, but then again Wheels did say back in 1977 that the XYGTHO was a 10/10 investment and they where absolutley correct.
I own BAGTP which i hardly drive, im very tempted to trade it in on a FGXR6T and use it as a daily which i have talked about before, its even more tempting now if what Wheels claim is spot on the money.
What happens in 20 years time is anyones guess, but the first criteria for anything to be remotely "collectable or desirable" down the track is rarity or limited build.....
something tells me FG XR6T will be built in plentiful numbers...

Old 03-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
Assassinbm

Quote:

Do you really think Wheels has some kind of 6th sence foresight into the future of a car just being released, they picked the GTHO some year after release

this not to say that it will not be a classic but, if it were that easy there would be more people making "investment" choices reading magazines for all advice
Old 03-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
Assassinbm

Numbers as 4Vman says
Old 03-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Must get one of these cars EQUIPED with the I6!!
G6E TURBO !!!

I dunno if the cars will be that collectable in the short term due to the numbers that will be pumped out, but in the long term anyone who has a love for I6 Turbo cars will more then likely value this car VERY highly..
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
What happens in 20 years time is anyones guess, but the first criteria for anything to be remotely "collectable or desirable" down the track is rarity or limited build.....
something tells me FG XR6T will be built in plentiful numbers...
And that's not a bad thing!
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
And that's not a bad thing!
Absolutely!

The Phase 3 became a classic collectable basically from day 1 because it was a limited build Homologation special built specifically to race and it won Bathurst, it was the last of the "production race specials" built before the rules changed.
While other Models have gone up in value i doubt anyone would call them a good investment if you thought it through.. do the maths on $5000 invested in property or shares in 1971 and what it would be worth today... then see if a Phase 3 let alone any other model is really a "good investment".

I can't see the FG XR6T ticking any of those boxes....

Old 03-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Atleast the mighty Ford straight 6 will make it 2010, Holdens traditional six cylinder engine died in 1985, and replaced with a Nissan engine, yep and theyre the Aussie icon????,Anyway atleast the Ford straight 6 can hold its head high and proud and thats an achievement for Ford in itself.
Then they stuck a 30 year old buick v6 in the vn which was meant as a fwd engine go holden and all they're engeneering achievements that they always rant on about.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
GTP290

no ones talking investment, they are saying it will become a collectable classic....so in other words it will be up there with the likes of GT Falcons, A9X toranas, VG Pacers etc. Ultimatley when something becomes sought after naturally it usually ends up in the highest bidders hands, so its really people like us setting the market, car enthusiasts.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
no ones talking investment, they are saying it will become a collectable classic....so in other words it will be up there with the likes of GT Falcons, A9X toranas, VG Pacers etc. Ultimatley when something becomes sought after naturally it usually ends up in the highest bidders hands, so its really people like us setting the market, car enthusiasts.
Its missing the most important ingredient that those other cars you mentioned have... Motoracing Pedigree.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
GTP290

Yeah but that died in the rear in 1972( production based car racing), surely modern day classics have to be judged by other factors, If the rules where the same as they were back then, what would a phase 3 be worth today?
Old 03-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #14
FPV70

If they played the production car racing more on TV, then we would see the cars that we buy winning or losing.

We still have the production racing but they just don't air it enough.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #15
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess Ford should build a limited edition of XR6Ts or F6s in 2010.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #16
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They said it about the last Monaro, and the BA XR6T. Can't see that happening.

I think its just another case of Wheels creaming themselves and getting hyped up over another new release of an Aussie car.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post