Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #31
yabby6
The Convert

I've been warned about both red and yellow, i didn't question the red one but when I got pulled up for yellow i had a chat to the cop about it. he was good about it and let me go but he did tell me to be careful because as long as it's not green, if he had've wanted to get me for it, he could've. one of those bulls%$t laws where it's up to the 'discression' of the cop.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #32
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
The law does not state 2 seconds behind...that is a guideline given in the learners guide.
what the law states is:
126 Keeping a safe distance behind vehicles
A driver must drive a sufficient distance behind a vehicle
travelling in front of the driver so the driver can, if necessary,
stop safely to avoid a collision with the vehicle.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.

Source;
http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...ntOpRURR99.pdf

So basically the guidelines everyone have been taught are wrong? Is that what you're saying? This also implies that every driver is supposed to know how well equiped the car in front is? Geesh, sounds tough.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:34 PM   #33
yabby6
The Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordACE
Without trying to argue against you here, the law says 2 seconds behind. If i'm 2 seconds behind another car, and they're car is equiped with brembo 6 pots and pulls up quicker than my 1 pot POS brakes and I smash into them, I know I'm liable, but is it fair?
ditto yaw, it's not 2 seconds. it's up to yourself to decide a safe distance but if you get it wrong it's your fault. if you're travelling behind a motorbike that can pull up on a dime then you have to compensate for that, just as if you were driving a truck travelling behind a car, or a truck behind a motorbike, you're going to need more distance than just 2 seconds.

guidelines aren't "wrong" but very basic, 2 second is a general rule for 1 car behind another car for a learner to start to get an idea of distances to keep while travelling
Old 01-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #34
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
So basically the guidelines everyone have been taught are wrong? Is that what you're saying? This also implies that every driver is supposed to know how well equiped the car in front is? Geesh, sounds tough.
I know for instance my reflexes are not good enough for the 2 second guideline...I for this reason always try to give a 3 second buffer to myself, if someone pulls in front of me, i just allow my 3 seconds to build again.
If you know your car is not as good as modern braking cars..you need to factor that into your driving.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #35
prydey
Rob

Quote:
S This also implies that every driver is supposed to know how well equiped the car in front is? Geesh, sounds tough.
No! it means you are expected to be familiar with the car YOU are driving and if its brakes (thats BRAKES not BREAKS for all the uneducated on here) are substandard or take a while to stop the car then you should drive accordingly.

another rule and perhaps one that is forgotten is that before braking, you are required to check the rear view mirror.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #36
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabby6
ditto yaw, it's not 2 seconds. it's up to yourself to decide a safe distance but if you get it wrong it's your fault. if you're travelling behind a motorbike that can pull up on a dime then you have to compensate for that, just as if you were driving a truck travelling behind a car, or a truck behind a motorbike, you're going to need more distance than just 2 seconds.

guidelines aren't "wrong" but very basic, 2 second is a general rule for 1 car behind another car for a learner to start to get an idea of distances to keep while travelling
I agree, but you can't get it right all the time can you? This is the point I'm arguing. Of course the 2 seconds is a basic guideline, particularly depending on wheather conditions etc. But how can someone tell (if the vehicle in front isn't a motorbike, truck or lamborghini?) how well the car in front is going to stop?

I've never had an accident and I've been driving since I was 5. I'm just saying that it isn't always as clear cut as you all seem to think.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #37
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
No! it means you are expected to be familiar with the car YOU are driving and if its brakes (thats BRAKES not BREAKS for all the uneducated on here) are substandard or take a while to stop the car then you should drive accordingly.

another rule and perhaps one that is forgotten is that before braking, you are required to check the rear view mirror.
where did I spell brakes as breaks? :S If i did my bad, I know how to spell and I'm far from uneducated.

You have to get over yourself prydey. You're basically saying that the only factor in a braking scenario is the car you're driving. Wow, speaking of uneducated.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #38
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
I know for instance my reflexes are not good enough for the 2 second guideline...I for this reason always try to give a 3 second buffer to myself, if someone pulls in front of me, i just allow my 3 seconds to build again.
If you know your car is not as good as modern braking cars..you need to factor that into your driving.
That's fair enough.

I'm going to ask you this however, do you sit there when you're driving counting to 3 all the time? I'd hate to have you behind me. LOL

Edit, I wasn't having a go, was more of a joke. I doubt you sit there counting to 3 all the time. 1 and 1000, 2 and 1000, 3 and 1000.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #39
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Wow

This is gone from being fined for going through yellow light to multiple ramblings about braking....

Another thread destined to be shut
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #40
3vXT

Someone told me once that if a shipping container fell out of the sky onto the car in front stopping it instantly, i should be able to pull up before i hit them. If i can't, then i was too close to the car in the first place.

As for the yellow/orange/amber/middle light thing, its one of those things that lots (most ?) people do all the time without knowing or caring about the laws because 'everyone does it'. Got to be pretty unlucky to get done for it but it has been around for as long as i can remember.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #41
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
That's fair enough.

I'm going to ask you this however, do you sit there when you're driving counting to 3 all the time? I'd hate to have you behind me. LOL
Highway driving I do every 10 klms or so check what i am doing by doing the
1001....1002....1003 as the car ahead goes past a pole or point of reference.
City driving I do give larger gaps than most people...and I am not saying i am perfect, I have in the past had accidents, but I do what I need to these days to avoid them. If someone is sitting up my bum, I will pull right over to the left when it is safe so if they want to go around they can and I won't be involved in thier accident.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #42
yabby6
The Convert

Not trying to start a war here - but prydey's point is valid. You aren't required to know the braking capacity of the car ahead, but if you always assume that it has monster brakes, then all you have to consider is your own vehicle's brakes. Which is a safe way to look at the situation.

and yeah you are supposed to check the mirror, but will it stop you from smashing the brakes if there's some tool sitting 2 inches behind you and a kid running across the road in front..
Old 01-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #43
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Wow

This is gone from being fined for going through yellow light to multiple ramblings about braking....

Another thread destined to be shut
To get back on track I have this

s 57 52 s 57
Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Road
Rules) Regulation 1999
57 Stopping for a yellow traffic light or arrow
(1) A driver who is approaching, or at, traffic lights showing a
yellow traffic light—
(a) must stop—
(i) if there is a stop line at or near the traffic lights and
the driver can stop safely before reaching the stop
line—as near as practicable to, and before
reaching, the stop line; or
(ii) if there is no stop line at or near the traffic lights
and the driver can stop safely before reaching the
traffic lights—as near as practicable to, and before
reaching, the nearest traffic lights; or
(iii) if the traffic lights are at an intersection and the
driver can not stop safely under subparagraph (i) or
(ii), but can stop safely before entering the
intersection—before entering the intersection; and
(b) must not proceed until the traffic lights—
(i) change to green or flashing yellow; or
(ii) show no traffic light.
(2) A driver who is approaching, or at, traffic arrows showing a
yellow traffic arrow, and turning in the direction indicated by
the arrow—
(a) must stop—
(i) if there is a stop line at or near the traffic arrows
stop line—as near as practicable to, and before
reaching, the stop line; or
(ii) if there is no stop line at or near the traffic arrows
traffic arrows—as near as practicable to, and
before reaching, the nearest traffic arrows; or
(iii) if the traffic arrows are at an intersection and the
driver can not stop safely under subparagraph (i) or
s 58 53 s 59
Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Road
Rules) Regulation 1999
(ii), but can stop safely before entering the
intersection—before entering the intersection; and
(b) must not proceed until the traffic arrows—
(i) change to green or flashing yellow; or
(ii) show no traffic arrow.
(3) If the traffic lights or arrows are at an intersection and the
driver can not stop safely under subsection (1) or (2) and
enters the intersection, the driver must leave the intersection
as soon as the driver can do so safely.
58 Exceptions to stopping for a red or yellow traffic light
(1) A driver approaching or at traffic lights showing a red or
yellow traffic light does not have to stop if a green traffic
arrow is also showing and the driver is turning in the direction
indicated by the arrow.
(2) A driver turning at an intersection with traffic lights who
approaches, or is at, a red traffic light on the road that the
driver is entering does not have to stop for the red traffic light
if there is no stop line or stop here on red signal sign at or near
the traffic light.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:59 PM   #44
halo

neither here nor there, if i can stop i will stop but if i have to slam my brakes on then i will accelerate through it. I for one have been cms away from having an accident because the idiot in front slammed on their brakes as soon as the light turned orange.
halo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 07:59 PM   #45
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Highway driving I do every 10 klms or so check what i am doing by doing the
1001....1002....1003 as the car ahead goes past a pole or point of reference.
City driving I do give larger gaps than most people...and I am not saying i am perfect, I have in the past had accidents, but I do what I need to these days to avoid them. If someone is sitting up my bum, I will pull right over to the left when it is safe so if they want to go around they can and I won't be involved in thier accident.

Fair enough. Back on topic now.

If the lights are orange and it's safe to stop than lets do it everybody. It is the safe thing to do.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #46
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo
neither here nor there, if i can stop i will stop but if i have to slam my brakes on then i will accelerate through it. I for one have been cms away from having an accident because the idiot in front slammed on their brakes as soon as the light turned orange.
I agree here. They should not be doing this.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #47
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabby6
Not trying to start a war here - but prydey's point is valid. You aren't required to know the braking capacity of the car ahead, but if you always assume that it has monster brakes, then all you have to consider is your own vehicle's brakes. Which is a safe way to look at the situation.
As I already said, there are still more variables than just your own vehicle? Thinking your car is the only one on the road is probably the reason most people have accidents.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #48
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I was never taught a 2 second guideline. I'm sure the handbook I read pretty much said, a safe distance from the car infront in order to avoid collision in an emergency. If the car infront jumped on the anchors because an animal ran infront of it, firstly it would be unlikely you would anticipate such an event, secondly you've likely blown close to 1 second in reaction time and mashing the brake. The next second you can spend wondering if your insurance has been paid up...

I learned the hard way having rear ended a car with no brake lights while I was checking a blind spot. I was never a tailgater (as I can't stand being tailgated) and I now leave even more space between me and the car infront since that incident... which was a good 10 years ago.

It's not necessary to know how well the car infront brakes if you leave plenty of room between them and you.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #49
prydey
Rob

Quote:
where did I spell brakes as breaks? :S If i did my bad, I know how to spell and I'm far from uneducated.

You have to get over yourself prydey. You're basically saying that the only factor in a braking scenario is the car you're driving. Wow, speaking of uneducated.
settle down sport. firstly i apologise if you thought i was having a dig at your spelling. i wasn't. it was an earlier post on pg1.

also i'm not saying thats all there is in a braking situation. there is one thing that is sadly lacking among many drivers in ALL situations, and thats awareness. whenever you are approaching an intersection you should be prepared for a light change.

there is a reason a lot of red light cameras these days are also speed cameras. its to try to curb the natural reaction of a lot of drivers when they see the amber light.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #50
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

In Qld running a yellow light has only just changed in the last year or so from a $30 fine and no points, to the same as a red light $225 and 3 points.
It is still at the discretion of the police officer but

For the Queenslanders remember when the talking on a mobile phone law came in, it was about that same time, went from $75 fine and 1 point to $225 and three points, and all the speed fines increased then too

It is supposed to be bringing us into line with other states
I don't know who decided THEY were right but.......
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 09:01 PM   #51
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
The law says you must stop only if safe to do so, if there isn't enough time to stop safely its ok to go threw a yellow light, well thats what i said to a cop who pulled me over for going threw one, i got off with a warning lol!
He was probably impressed you knew the rules. You probably know all about that indicating stuff - and what to do with that funny stick on the steering column too. Puts you ahead of 50% of drivers. lol
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #52
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
settle down sport. firstly i apologise if you thought i was having a dig at your spelling. i wasn't. it was an earlier post on pg1.
hehe. I didn't think I spelt it wrong. sorry for having a go at you.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:04 PM   #53
Assassinbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubute
Hehe, I'm guessing why they added the amber.. to warn that the red light is coming?

Conversly, that reminds me of how in Argentina when the light is red it then flashes amber to warn that the green light is about to come (to the sound of reving engines and cars edging forward in preparation).

Do these lights flash every 400/sec :evil3: & the same number of flashes every time???
Old 02-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #54
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

thats a good idea especially in high entry/ exit lights ,we should have it here would safe a lot of false starts & late starts
Old 03-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #55
andrewr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubute
s me of how in Argentina when the light is red it then flashes amber to warn that the green light is about to come (to the sound of reving engines and cars edging forward in preparation). At least it gets traffic moving again efficiently rather than waiting for the airheads to realise that "oh, gee, its turned green again, maybe I'll get ready to start moving"
Does a similar thing in the UK. The light will be red, then before it goes green it will go red AND orange, then green. Its really nice because you can sit in neutral daydreaming, as soon as you see the orange you know you have a sec or two to get the car in gear and ready to go. Taffic pulls away much faster / smoother.
andrewr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #56
NEEDspeed

Ahh yes, another instance of that wonderful phrase "Up to the discretion of the Police officer".

A year ago I was travelling at the posted speed limit up to a set of green lights, the lights turned amber when my vehicle was about 15m away so I decided to keep going through as a single headlamp was up my clacker.
Guess who that was? M/C cop!
I really couldnt be bothered argueing with the guy that HE was too close. I mean what the hell does any member of the general public do when it's the word of an officer vs. them? I just copped it on the chin as if I was going to do anything about it.

That phrase, it really irritates me big-time.

Blueprint 2003 XR6. Forged internals 10.8cr engine.
NEEDspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #57
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEEDspeed
Ahh yes, another instance of that wonderful phrase "Up to the discretion of the Police officer".

A year ago I was travelling at the posted speed limit up to a set of green lights, the lights turned amber when my vehicle was about 15m away so I decided to keep going through as a single headlamp was up my clacker.
Guess who that was? M/C cop!
I really couldnt be bothered argueing with the guy that HE was too close. I mean what the hell does any member of the general public do when it's the word of an officer vs. them? I just copped it on the chin as if I was going to do anything about it.

That phrase, it really irritates me big-time.
In an instance like that, had you jumped on the anchors and he ploughed into you, likely you would have been written up for something else...
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post