Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default It was bound to happen :(

Just took the XR out for a spin and noticed a rather odd smell. Had a quick look under her and found this.

Bit wet! Needless to say I knew the smell was burnt transmission fluid, a smell I knew too well from when my EL was an auto. You can't expect a stock auto to handle a stroker and the abuse that I dish out to it for too long, I'm suprised it has lasted as long as it has. 55k since the stroker was done and a LOT of abuse. I'll take it to a local trans bloke when I get a chance but if it is terminal (burnt smell to me says it is) then nothing can happen until I get back from Europe in early September as that is my current priority. Bugger :togo:

07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
5L
[ 5L ]

6 Speed Manual Conversion Ftw!!!!!!
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Dont despair.it looks like sump gasket leak from those photos. Where is the oil coming from?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Dont despair.it looks like sump gasket leak from those photos. Where is the oil coming from?
Everywhere at the back. Pan gasket, rear extension seal and where the tailshaft goes in. It is p*ssing oil onto the exhaust too.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
MADED-6
MADED.6

dam no good man spose heathcote finished it off then lol.
ahh well its an excuse for better things ie manual or tricked up auto and a stally.
cheers josh.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another vote for the 6 speed manual. You've mentioned a few times that you'd like a manual, now's the perfect excuse.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Yeah I vote for a manual change over aswell if it comes to that.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

If I do go a manual (which is the most likely option) it would just be the T5 from another 220 XR8. T56 conversion is a bit pricey for me and the T5 from the 220 is a pretty sweet shifting unit. That is unless I could get my hands on a TR3650 from a T3 for a good price.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

ouch that's painfull Russ ... i don't think i'm far behind you ay :P
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #10
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

If it's spraying oil on the exhaust, it could probably the output shaft seal.

Even though you have oil on the pan, looking at those pics the oil is coming from the top. Worthwhile to check if it's coming from the breather. I had a small amount on the rear mount, and it had ran down from the breather.

This can happen when the trans gets a bit on the hot side and the oil expands and spits out of the breather. Stops your gaskets/seals blowing.

It may be as simple as that. A trans cooler will help prevent it happening again.

Cheers,

Adrian.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

If its on the tailshaft its probably your rear main extension housing seal. Mine blew trying to take a WRX one day with a crazy shift kit which chirped the wagon sideways. Grab the tailshaft near the back of the gearbox with your hands .If there is alot of movement in it then thats what it is. If it is that and the tailshaft is not thumping around when driving your box may still have a chance. The rear seal my simply need replacing and then youll be sweet again.But that is assuming that part is faulty.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 05-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I will be checking those things guys, cheers.

I have however known for a while that my box wasn't the best and this was confirmed at G&D when I had it retuned last week. They have set the shifts to as hard as possible but it is still a pretty soft shift. No where near a chirp just a quickish surge forward from first to second.

The box did get "pretty" hot at Heathcote though without a cooler.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:59 PM   #13
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
I will be checking those things guys, cheers.

I have however known for a while that my box wasn't the best and this was confirmed at G&D when I had it retuned last week. They have set the shifts to as hard as possible but it is still a pretty soft shift. No where near a chirp just a quickish surge forward from first to second.

The box did get "pretty" hot at Heathcote though without a cooler.
Dont worry.You cant firm up the shifts if the box is leaking. It relies on the hydraulic fluid to work properly. Dont give up on it yet...only when the fat lady sings!!

Old 05-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #14
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Stick with the auto mate less hassle and a stally good as it gets : and you carn't catch me 5 or 6 speed and Im toast :

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #15
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

Quote:
That is unless I could get my hands on a TR3650 from a T3 for a good price.
They dont fit into the standard AU tunnel from what ive heard
Tickford modified the "Ts" to fit it also 1st n 2nd very close

My car T3 TS50 #75 Blueprint manual 1/4 mile 13.38 @ 102.97 mph TS 50 = 237.1 rwkw
UU TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #16
Scott

Quote:
That is unless I could get my hands on a TR3650 from a T3 for a good price.
Brand new from Mal Wood for $1250.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #17
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Go the auto with stally for faster shifts on the quarter mile...
Old 09-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #18
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Finally had a chance to get the XR up on some ramps so I could have a squiz under her. Mixed results here but they lean towards "bad".

The top of the box is pretty much bone dry, a little build up of crud but that is to be expected. No signs of recent wetness here.

The pan gasket is pretty much screwed, fluid leak marks nearly the whole way around it with clear evidence that this has leaked. Hopefully it only did so when it was overheating and now that temps are normal all is well again. Doubtful but I can hope can't I

What ever the bit is that bolts to the passenger side of the box just rear of all the wiring has had a fair old leak going. Any ideas on what it is?

The fill plug I couldn't even budge, so I gave up lol. Seriously it seems to have welded itself in place, not real good.

There are other marks around the box to suggest it has leaked from elsewhere, they don't appear to have been from what I've listed, so buggered if I know what is going on there.

All up not real good. Maybe I'll have to get a cooler and a stally so I can see her go BANG! :evil3:
Old 09-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #19
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Finally had a chance to get the XR up on some ramps so I could have a squiz under her. Mixed results here but they lean towards "bad".

The top of the box is pretty much bone dry, a little build up of crud but that is to be expected. No signs of recent wetness here.

The pan gasket is pretty much screwed, fluid leak marks nearly the whole way around it with clear evidence that this has leaked. Hopefully it only did so when it was overheating and now that temps are normal all is well again. Doubtful but I can hope can't I

What ever the bit is that bolts to the passenger side of the box just rear of all the wiring has had a fair old leak going. Any ideas on what it is?

The fill plug I couldn't even budge, so I gave up lol. Seriously it seems to have welded itself in place, not real good.

There are other marks around the box to suggest it has leaked from elsewhere, they don't appear to have been from what I've listed, so buggered if I know what is going on there.

All up not real good. Maybe I'll have to get a cooler and a stally so I can see her go BANG! :evil3:
Can you get it fixed please Russ, need to borrow it when your away
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #20
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1XLS
Can you get it fixed please Russ, need to borrow it when your away
Ohhh no, that engine is staying right where it is
Old 09-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #21
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in relation to STRONG manual boxes
BI6TIM is currently trialing a road going varient of a T5..they call it a T5G box.. its got modified bearings and things in it and is able to handle huge power (hes running 350+hp turbo

its usually used in race cars etc
it eliminates the 3rd gear stripping shaft float caused by the tapered bearings instead they use roller bearings or somthing like that

give Hart Transmissions a call in Brendale QLD for any other info on the box
Old 09-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #22
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
in relation to STRONG manual boxes
BI6TIM is currently trialing a road going varient of a T5..they call it a T5G box.. its got modified bearings and things in it and is able to handle huge power (hes running 350+hp turbo

its usually used in race cars etc
it eliminates the 3rd gear stripping shaft float caused by the tapered bearings instead they use roller bearings or somthing like that

give Hart Transmissions a call in Brendale QLD for any other info on the box
Cheers, I always loved the shift feel of the T5 just hated the lower power rating. I'll look into that one.