Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

Red face Another Pacemaker Question?

Hi All.

I have read through lots of past posts and i am still unsure.

I am looking at getting some pacemaker headers for my XR8 220 Au3 on the 22nd of this month!

The only mods down the track will be a flash tune and maybe a cam as i will be getting a pair of high flow cats in about a month down the track.

I was wondering what would be better Tri ys or the 4 into 1 comps?

I MIGHT be able to get a good deal through work, but i still would like to know the average price so i can go get some quotes and dont get the wool pulled over my eyes.

Any advice would be great as i have no idea what im up for!

Regards, Woody

Old 11-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
Black XR
Narooma blue XR8 ute

save your money & come out next friday then I'll have someone to blame lol
Black XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Hey Woodys XR8 - you need to change the link in your sig! The new address is aufalcon.com.au.

If you want driveability I would go a set of Hurricanes. 1 & 5/8th tri y's and they aren't holding my TE back. Definately tri y's for driveability unless you are just after dyno bragging rights.

Do the headers and new cats together to reduce the fitting costs
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynet
Hey Woodys XR8 - you need to change the link in your sig! The new address is aufalcon.com.au.

If you want driveability I would go a set of Hurricanes. 1 & 5/8th tri y's and they aren't holding my TE back. Definately tri y's for driveability unless you are just after dyno bragging rights.

Do the headers and new cats together to reduce the fitting costs
I got a pm to stating tri y's should be better thanks for the tips.

Any 4 into 1 boys say different ?
Old 11-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYS_XR8
I got a pm to stating tri y's should be better thanks for the tips.

Any 4 into 1 boys say different ?
It is each to their own but I am using the old Herrod 4>1's (the ones made by Difillipo) and I have no intention of changing them....ever. Mine still drives like a stocker around town too.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
It is each to their own but I am using the old Herrod 4>1's (the ones made by Difillipo) and I have no intention of changing them....ever. Mine still drives like a stocker around town too.
Agreed. I have the same as Russ and have no intention of changing them. My ute is certainly not built for "dyno bragging rights" either.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Agreed. I have the same as Russ and have no intention of changing them. My ute is certainly not built for "dyno bragging rights" either.
Ray (The_Ghost) also has the same on his XR8 and reckons they are great.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #8
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

Quote:
And Russel.

Is it worth staying with paceys?

Whats the cost of these herrod/Difillipo

Last edited by WOODYS_XR8; 11-05-2008 at 06:45 PM.
WoodysXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #9
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYS_XR8
And Russel.

Is it worth staying with paceys?

Whats the cost of these herrod/Difillipo
Haven't had any experience with the paceys on an AU 8, they seemed like they were pretty good on my old EL 6. As for the Herrod/Difillipo ones I don't think you can get them anymore. IIRC they were designed by Herrod and made by Difillipo but they don't have a partnership anymore.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

Thanks Russell, Has anyone got a ruff sort of price for pacemaker any idea wold be great!

Thanks Guys for your help.

Regards, Woody
Old 11-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #11
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

here is some pacemakers at online performance
for $599 HERE

My car T3 TS50 #75 Blueprint manual 1/4 mile 13.38 @ 102.97 mph TS 50 = 237.1 rwkw
UU TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Haven't had any experience with the paceys on an AU 8, they seemed like they were pretty good on my old EL 6. As for the Herrod/Difillipo ones I don't think you can get them anymore. IIRC they were designed by Herrod and made by Difillipo but they don't have a partnership anymore.
You wont get the Herrod/Difil headers anymore as I think they were only ever made for when the AU was the current model. Now theyre not a B series nobody gives a damn about them.

Difil *might* still make them but I think you would be looking at big dollars if they do to get some. I dont know much about the specifics of headers and their design but I think the general consensus is that 4 into 1's are better for low down torque. If yours is an auto (mine is), I would look at these over tri-y's. I think you also have to be careful with shaynet's recommendation as his experience is with a stroker motor, not your normal 5L. Shayne - i dont mean that to discredit you, rather just pointing out the engine difference.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:47 PM   #13
TX3VIL

http://www.darrendifilippo.com.au/

Pretty sure u can still get them as i was looking at getting them myself. Looks like they make a set for the BA's too.

Slightly left of field but still on the subject of exhaust systems, i gave my car a bit of a boot full coming off the freeway today. Pressed my non traction button and hoped i would get a little sideways action into oncoming traffic, but alas the fairmont bogged down and i think the exhaust system managed to tear itself in two. For the rest of the day it's been making a really low grumbly big sports exhaust note. It was kinda fun for the day and the girl in the macca's drivethrough thought it was grouse... or perhaps that i was a complete tool. I'm gonna have do do something about it shortly so yeh, think i may be getting a difillipo exhaust system myself soon enough.

Last edited by TX3VIL; 12-05-2008 at 08:58 PM.
TX3VIL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #14
TX3VIL

just after i posted b4, i went back to the site and sent an email. not entirely sure what compelled me to do so, but i asked for a quote on headers and full exhaust. if i get a quote back from them i'll let u all know what the costs are, even if it is way out of my price range.
TX3VIL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #15
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I dont know much about the specifics of headers and their design but I think the general consensus is that 4 into 1's are better for low down torque. If yours is an auto (mine is), I would look at these over tri-y's. I think you also have to be careful with shaynet's recommendation as his experience is with a stroker motor, not your normal 5L. Shayne - i dont mean that to discredit you, rather just pointing out the engine difference.
You seem to have things back to front. Tri-y's are good for torque and 4 > 1's are better for top end power.

The Hurricanes were designed by one of the owners for his 5L. They just happen to work on the stroker as well.

My TE had a full Di Philippo 4 > 1 headers/dual exhaust system on it when I bought it. Sounded awesome but made less power than std. Replaced the headers first with Hurricanes and made big improvement then replaced the system and got better again. These weren't bumometer assessments. I spent a fortune at a local dyno with each change however the additional wheelspin with each change to the system already told me what the dyno confirmed.

The Windsor has very small exhuast ports and so you only need small diameter primaries to keep the exhaust gas speed up. Nobody that has installed Hurricanes has been disappointed in the bottom end and mid range yet they are still not holding the TE back with better flowing heads and making 261rwkw. What more can I say?
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post