Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 24-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default afl umpiring

Just wondering what your thoughts on the standard of afl umpiring is these day's.
Call me biased but the umpiring in the game tonight between the crows and the eagles was so disgusting and biased it made me sick,and it wasn't just this game,i haven't seen one afl game where i have been happy with the standard of umpiring(even for the victorian team's ).

my point is that if these maggot's don't clean up there act,it will turn people away from the game that i play and love to watch.

well i'm off to cry in my corner now :

Old 24-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Give em a break! Would it be the type of job you want to do? FFS!! Cant please all of the people all of the time. They are doing what they are paid to do so get off your high horse and respect a tough job when it is being done! If you can do better, then get off your *** and do it!

BACK TO THE BONE YARD
Old 24-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bloody Crows. Played like crap. Kudos to West Coast to capitalize on it.
I can't comment on the umpiring for tonight's game as I only saw the last half, but I have attended a number of Crows games this season where I believe that the umpiring standard has been below average, and not just for the Crows either.
Old 24-05-2008, 11:24 PM   #4
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Jack
Give em a break! Would it be the type of job you want to do? FFS!! Cant please all of the people all of the time. They are doing what they are paid to do so get off your high horse and respect a tough job when it is being done! If you can do better, then get off your *** and do it!
your probably right,but i'm a player so i have a sub-conscience hate for some of these umpires and there decisions,don't get me wrong,they're probably great blokes and there are some great umpires around that have a good understanding of the game,but when you hear supporters and players(well not so much players=fines)talking about disgracful decisions week after week,don't you think there is something wrong?
Old 24-05-2008, 11:30 PM   #5
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Bloody Crows. Played like crap. Kudos to West Coast to capitalize on it.
I can't comment on the umpiring for tonight's game as I only saw the last half, but I have attended a number of Crows games this season where I believe that the umpiring standard has been below average, and not just for the Crows either.
very much agreed mate,i'm not being biased because the crows got pumped by the umpires,every team cop's it,look at lloyd last week when questioned them on a few decisions,he got the big eff-off and a $5000 fine????
Old 24-05-2008, 11:51 PM   #6
1970galaxie
Fat 460

Well I did see the game, and the interchange rule sucks!
What stupidity!
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
Old 25-05-2008, 12:16 AM   #7
rodderz

Fast pace of the game these days makes it harder, plus we get the benefits of replays and super slo-mo's that they have to call in a split second and run over 20km's a game

They would be under huge pressure from there bosses and the AFL too, with more nancy rules getting implemented every season
Old 25-05-2008, 12:22 AM   #8
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Fast pace of the game these days makes it harder, plus we get the benefits of replays and super slo-mo's that they have to call in a split second and run over 20km's a game

They would be under huge pressure from there bosses and the AFL too, with more nancy rules getting implemented every season
true,especially with the rule's that are brought in every year(nab cup only adds stupidity to the game in my opinion with some pretty stupid rules),but as i said before,there are some umpires that interpret the rules better than others, perhaps they can handle the pressure better?
Old 25-05-2008, 12:36 AM   #9
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have recently started umpiring (boundary) and it's really helped me see the other side of the story, I've realised that without umpires the game would fall over. Having said this I still yell at the tv sometimes if there's a bad decision...
Old 25-05-2008, 12:40 AM   #10
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I cant not believe this thread....Umpires cop enough slack from people at the game. They get spat at...abused...What kind of game would it be without them??

Having been put in an official position myself at a tournament (not Football - another sport - Olympic selection!) I know what it is like when you have to make a judgement call...you can not please all of the people...all of the time and dreams will be shattered on your call.

You go out there...you do the job as you see fit and not everyone is going to agree with the decision you make...but you go out and do the job anyway for the love of the sport.

Do umpires make mistakes?? No doubt! Are some better than others?? Of course! but they are doing their jobs to the best of their abilities. If you don't like the decisions they make...walk a day in their shoes...see how hard a split second decision is to make!
Old 25-05-2008, 12:52 AM   #11
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fair point,that is why i started this thread,whether they differ to mine it is all good,i just wanted to get people's opinions.
Old 25-05-2008, 12:57 AM   #12
HLC
Audi S3

this thread is going nowhere fast.

but hey, ya cant please everybody.