Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
davor
Starter Motor

Cool Ford AUIII ABS problems

ABS not working
Can anyone help me with the following ABS problems:
The ABS on my Ford Fairmont, AUIII (Dec. 2001) is producing strange noise when in action. The noise is similar to noise caused by the traction of two metal objects. This started to happen several months ago and was happening only when I was slowing down and pulling to the right. Now days, the noise is regular when ABS is in action. In addition, occasionally (more often then not), while driving, both, ABS and the TCS (Traction Control System) indicators, are up (the lights are on) on the instrument panel. I fix this by stoping and restarting the car (I call it resetting). My mechanic did not find anything visibly wrong and the brakes work fine.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

davor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Need to get a scan done, it will tell you whats the problem.

I had a similar problem with my abs, turns out I need a new wheel speed sensor for the right rear. Havent got around to tracking the part done yet lol
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
Abacus
Life's a Gas

As D1XR2C said, you need to get a scan tool plugged in to see what error codes come up.

I had a similar problem with my AUII Fairmont Ghia a while ago. Trouble was, the lights would only come on intermittently.

We wound up catching the codes, it was the ABS/TC transfer valve in the ABS module.

If this is your problem a replacement module from the wreckers will cost around $400-500, but there are few different types. You need to take your car the wrecker so they can check the part number to make sure you get the right one.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
davor
Starter Motor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
As D1XR2C said, you need to get a scan tool plugged in to see what error codes come up.

I had a similar problem with my AUII Fairmont Ghia a while ago. Trouble was, the lights would only come on intermittently.

We wound up catching the codes, it was the ABS/TC transfer valve in the ABS module.

If this is your problem a replacement module from the wreckers will cost around $400-500, but there are few different types. You need to take your car the wrecker so they can check the part number to make sure you get the right one.
thanks guys,
I've done the test and the computer did not come up with the fault code - it could be what you are suggesting
davor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
stavros68

A guy on ebay repairs the electronic bit for about $200 , done mine and works fine
stavros68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post